Western side of Melbourne

I would advise against buying in Caroline Springs or any of the other new outer suburbs. Sure, the houses are "nice" but you'll pay for that house through no public transport, lack of infrastructure, no local employment and very long commute times. I would also expect many of the houses in these areas to fall in value soon and especially once petrol prices start to increase even more. They are unsustainable IMO.

Have you actually been to CS? From the above it seems like you know nothing about the place.

Have you actually been to CS? From the above it seems like you know nothing about the place.

I actually lived right next to it in a neighbouring suburb for seven years (2003-2010). My family still lives in said suburb and I visit regularly. Unless you work in retail, there is very limited employment there and poor infrastructure. Feel free to prove me wrong if you like. Most people seem to get blinded by the "nice houses" and mistake it for actually having amenities. The commute to the city was an absolute nightmare. People only live there because that's the best they can afford.

I actually lived right next to it in a neighbouring suburb for seven years (2003-2010). My family still lives in said suburb and I visit regularly. Unless you work in retail, there is very limited employment there and poor infrastructure. Feel free to prove me wrong if you like. Most people seem to get blinded by the "nice houses" and mistake it for actually having amenities. The commute to the city was an absolute nightmare. People only live there because that's the best they can afford.

I remember back in 2002 odd, when caroline springs had just taken off or was a few years old, some lady who I worked with said "why would you live in toorak when I can live in Caroline Springs, for half the price and its got its own lake, park, and so on" :eek:
followed by
"why would you live in toorak when it takes 40 minutes by tram to the city yet I can get from Caroline Springs to the city in 10 mins by Jet"

her words were pretty much word for word the same as the Caroline Springs brochure I picked up

Caroline Springs: good for families, has lakes, walking tracks and CS shopping centre has lots to offer. There is also Quest, Mercuer and harbour side hotels near CS shopping centre. It also has lots of playgrounds, area has nice feel and appeal. I am not sure of the no of schools suburb has. It also has Bunnings and masters at intersection of Ballarat / Caroline springs blvd

Lacks public transport, only 1 way to get in /out (Caroline springs blvd), new train station work had started now it has stopped (politicians stuff up i believe), less no of buses

Sunshine: Zone 1 station, would be hub going forward with Regional rail link work in full swing, I guess some BA had posted results regarding amount of investment being done in Sunshine atm. It has good no of buses running in and around sunshine. Matthews hill is a high end pocket of Sunshine

High crime rate, not sure of no of schools, low socio economic area.

Albion: Zone 1 part from that dont know much, some voted for Albion, care to elaborate?

If you are considering Caroline springs, look at Carinlea as well, closer than Caroline Springs.

Cinbom,

I beg to differ. I have two properties in Caroline Springs, and have experienced excellent growth with both. I live in one of them, and am comfortable with my choice of residence. I had previously resided I Blackburn, which was becoming far too busy and congested. There are 800k+ houses in the area now .... I think the growth will continue unabated in due course.

Cheers,
Greg

Correction: there are people who have houses that they want 800k for. There is no shortage of land there so I'm not sure how these prices are even determined. Anyone can buy land there and build a house exactly how they like. Why would anyone pay 800k for a house when they can do that?

Also, about one in four households in the area are under mortgage stress (i.e. they spend more than a third of their income on repayments).

Correction: there are people who have houses that they want 800k for. There is no shortage of land there so I'm not sure how these prices are even determined. Anyone can buy land there and build a house exactly how they like. Why would anyone pay 800k for a house when they can do that?

Also, about one in four households in the area are under mortgage stress (i.e. they spend more than a third of their income on repayments).

sounds like you you take quotes from the herald sun.

Mortgage stress 1 in 4? Love to see where you get the stats for this

No shortage of land in CS? The land is pretty much gone in the suburb my friend. Probably time you get a new source for your facts

My source is the Census (www.abs.gov.au). Go into the Census section and look up Caroline Springs in Quick Stats.

What's the difference between Caroline Springs, Burnside, Taylors Hill, Hillside and the other suburbs in the area?

I'm sorry but if you think any sane person will pay close to a million dollars for a house in that area, I've got a bridge to sell you.

oh ok mate .... census ..... cheers im convinced:D:D

The diffence between the suburbs you mentioned is exactly that. They are different suburbs. We were talking about Caroline Springs.

People have paid and will continue to pay $800k for deserving properties. If you know where to look you'll find sales in excess of $1m.

Sorry to burst your bubble

You do know that the Census figures are self-reported (i.e. that the people living in that area gave that information themselves)? If anything, the figures are likely understated.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe that a suburb on the fringe of the city, largely made up of average income (even bordering on below average income) first home buyers will have high levels of mortgage stress.

I think you are trying to convince yourself rather than me. I would buy an IP in a regional centre before buying one in these poorly serviced outer suburbs.

hi guys

just an opinion and i am also looking for an IP
i stay in taylors hill, which is next to CS
i agreed on some members said about the public transport and competiton on renting out house
and on the east of CS, along taylors road, they are builidng the roads and land for further residential development
consider sydenham too? watergarden train station, i was looking there before, they built a lot of units and townhouses around 350k and rent 330 per week
cheers

I'd try that drive in peak hour and see how it compares!

also, an article i read recently about the new train station in The Age.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/t...-williams-landing-station-20121213-2bbka.html

Before 7am or after 9am, you will do it in 20min. A good 1/2 hour between those times. As for the train station, don't take too much notice of that media beat up. Extra bus services will be added once the station opens in April to service neighbouring suburbs, whilst it is walking distance for WL residents.

I have been a resident of WL for 2.5 years and have watched it grow from 0 houses. Have been waiting patiently for the station / Palmers Rd onramp to the Westgate to open. It is getting very close to completion and will be officially opened in April to coincide with the new metro rail timetable.

For a $450k budget, you will struggle in Williams Landing. Please also note, north of the Federation bike trail is also known as the suburb of Williams Landing. This area however is the suburb Wyndham Waters and is a cheaper and less desireable part of Williams Landing.

Below is a townhouse opposite one of the smaller parks in WL and looks like quiet a nice townhouse / location. I walk past this place often with our dog.

Advertised for 385 to 400k

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-williams+landing-112639167

Thanks for the local update, colleague I work with is always the first guy in the office at 6:30am, he lives in point cook.

Hello, I would recommend Point Cook as a good investment area. Prices are quite low at the moment but buyer activity is very strong. Tenancy on the other hand has kept me extremely busy over the recent months. Our vacancy rate is approximately 2 weeks with good rental income.

If anyone is interested in chatting about the property management side of things, I am the Business Development Officer at Ray White Point Cook and am happy to answer and questions you may have.

Back