Western side of Melbourne

they are both bad suburbs in the east and west.

if you ask me point cook(west) vs doveton(east) - would pick point cook

if you ask me glen waverley (east) vs hoppers crossing(west) - would pick glen waverley

all comes down to financial goals, how much you want to invest, your timelines, development or reno potential etc etc.

oh ok mate .... census ..... cheers im convinced:D:D

The diffence between the suburbs you mentioned is exactly that. They are different suburbs. We were talking about Caroline Springs.

People have paid and will continue to pay $800k for deserving properties. If you know where to look you'll find sales in excess of $1m.

Sorry to burst your bubble

Hilarious post.

Land value would be two tenths of three eights of bugger all, hah its Caroline Springs after all. If true somebody has horribly overcapitalised and hard to believe some clown has bought it.

Or as delta says its the werribee mansion :D

All very well but the orginal poster has a budget of 450k.

What kind of property can get for 450k in Williamstown or Maribyrnong?

I suggest that you won't find much in those areas for that budget.

Recommendations are fine but many people are constrained by budget and are looking for something decent in a cheaper area.

We can't all live in the inner east, south or north so sometimes the west is the only option.

Braybrook

I personally like the braybrook, albion and Maribyrnongarea. We have been looking to buy a house in the western suburbs as well , but we were particularly interested in trugannia and williams landing.The houses seem to be prettu well priced and we were able to look for a decent 3 bedroom home for around 350k to 400k.

I personally like the braybrook, albion and Maribyrnongarea. We have been looking to buy a house in the western suburbs as well , but we were particularly interested in trugannia and williams landing.The houses seem to be prettu well priced and we were able to look for a decent 3 bedroom home for around 350k to 400k.

Just curious ...why not look at Outer east ?

you can probably get an older house in bayswater boronia or croydon.
express train to richmond is 45 mins...much quicker than and better than west gate...agreed non peak times getting to the city can be upto 30 to 45 mins drive..if you use eastlink.

express train to richmond is 45 mins...much quicker than and better than west gate...agreed non peak times getting to the city can be upto 30 to 45 mins drive..if you use eastlink.

West such as Williams Landing. 20 to 30 min drive into the city, no tolls, 30 min by train. Some people also work or have family in the western suburbs, so the East is not the only place to live.

I agree, dollar for dollar you can probably buy an equivalent property in the inner west as you would in the outer eastern suburbs.

We had a similar budget to the original poster and decided to buy in the inner west rather than going east.

Yes, the outer eastern suburbs are far prettier than the west but they are too far away from the city for me.

My wife and I commute to the city daily via train and our journey is 30 mins door to door. We can be in Kensington, Seddon, Essendon or Highpoint via car in 15 minutes.

Yes, the west is rough but I know from experience that the eastern suburb starts to get pretty dodgy after Mitcham or so.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to live in the Eastern suburbs but Mitcham would be as far as I would.

Lol @ some of the stupid posts in this thread.

Do people think they portray themselves to be rich just because they 'don't venture out west', that's funny.. Get over yourselves.:rolleyes:

Multi million dollar properties in CS, Hillside, Taylors Lakes, Keilor etc come up all the time and some of the lowly scum poor people in the west are actually more than happy to buy them and live in them, in fact they sell quite quickly, more so than some in 'desirable' eastern suburbs.

Couple of examples:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-caroline+springs-110994735
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-keilor-111604059

^ Right next to Taylors Hill with its massive oversupply of House & Land packages. Should be a fantastic area for capital growth </end sarcasm>

Familiar with the term over capitalisation?

Of course, are you?

Caroline springs, as an example, has near doubled in the last 4-5 years, same can be said about Keilor, and many pockets of Hillside and Taylor's lakes. There are virtually NO land left in CS and Taylors Lakes and a small number in Hillside, so not sure how buying in those areas is over capitalising.

If we were talking about Tarneit, Truganina, Whyndam vale etc. I can understand but that's a totally different side of town.

An island in a sea of land...
If you're keen to make money, you wouldn't buy any of those over capitalised houses in a heart beat. If however, it was a PPOR and were staying there 20 years, well it may work out but having an 900k build on 400k block doesn't stack up from an investment angle in my book.
Rule no1, land appreciates, buildings depreciate.

Are we talking investment, or PPOR as some things cant be measured by $

Short term, I think anyone chasing CG anywhere in Melbourne let alone in new estates needs their head examined. Long term, I think the west is a decent bet.

As laughable as upper end housing in the west may seem, there will be more and more high income households in the west and, believe it or not, not all of these will be scurrying to cross the Westgate tossing a lit match behind them. As it stands, the only real ‘prestige suburb’ in the west is Williamstown. Over time, other areas in the west will need to cater for the high income demographic.

There are some of the reasons why I believe there will more high income earners in the west:

As the west’s population explodes, there will be more ‘success stories’ coming out of the west and many will want to stay in the area they grew up in.

Our class system is more fluid than in previous generations. Growing up in the west doesn’t = <insert stereotype>.

Class itself is becoming more redundant. Some blue collar jobs pay better than occupations requiring a degree and a tradesperson can become positively wealthy if they own a successful business.

Many young couples who bought in the west due to affordability issues will choose to remain in the west as their careers progress. I actually know quite a few couples who moved to the west earlier in their careers and are now high income earners but remain in the west because it’s now ‘home’ and, gasp, they actually like it.

Immigrants from China/India/etc. aren’t so snooty about the west. Many are solid income earners and, though they’re not the ‘Balwyn immigrant’, their children are liable to overachieve, meaning more doctors, engineers, accountants, etc. will be from the west. Many will choose to stay.

As the inner west becomes more trendy, more people will choose to move to the west, creating a ripple effect.

On a more negative note, my biggest concern about the west is infrastructure. The west’s infrastructure cannot keep up with the ever-increasing population and I have so little faith in the state government rectifying this. You cannot build endless new suburbs without providing public transport, roads, schools, hospitals, etc. and expect the already swamped established suburbs to absorb the increased demand. Our government will keep making meaningless promises and selling land to developers who have no long term interest in their poorly planned suburbs.

Back