Western Sydney House upto $500K and should I use a Buyers agent?

Penrith is 50km from CBD, but whats 20% overstatement between friends.

Also, not everyone works in the CBD. There is massive employment in the GWS area and that's where people work, 10-30 mins from home.

And contrary to popular belief, not all of GWS is ferals in housing commission fibros with old lounges on the front verandah. There is a LOT of money out here, and the majority of workers earn good incomes which coupled with affordable housing pushes up house prices ongoing.

Awe, come on Dave, I've said it time & again, but no-one believes me. You just need to drive around to see it, but non-locals only see the houso's, & think we're all like that.

Yep I was looking for a while and gave up ... Tried to call some BA's I googled, only 1 called me back and it sounded like they generally dealt with much more expensive properties (eg: in the north and east) so I didn't follow through. It's definitely hot hot hot in the west! All the best with your search!

Cant add granny flats in Ku-Ring-Gai can you?

Yes you can have Granny Flat, as it is a State initiative. However the Dual Occupancy they disallowed few years back.
There is a difference with Dual Occ and Granny Flat. GF is limited to 60m2, while Dual Occ allows over 60m2 subject to council policy. In some council you can strata title dual occ, but never with GF in any council of NSW.

Yep I was looking for a while and gave up ... Tried to call some BA's I googled, only 1 called me back and it sounded like they generally dealt with much more expensive properties (eg: in the north and east) so I didn't follow through. It's definitely hot hot hot in the west! All the best with your search!

Hi Cadence

I trust this wasn't us as we certainly work in the cheaper price brackets :) however given that we do receive several unrealistic enquiries on a regular basis from "hopeful" buyers we also turn many away with a reality dose. Classic example this week was an interstate buyer with a max budget of $400K for a HOUSE within 15km of Sydney....:eek:

hi Jacque

It wasn't your office!

I think I did try to call your office ... as I've been reading your posts for years and value your expertise and experience. I believe I left a voicemail. I did get some miss calls that week but no voicemails left. So I didn't bother calling back (in case they were telemarketers) ... so I may have missed your office returning my call which is my bad.

I was budgeting up to $600k for house (with GF potential) in western suburbs from Blacktown onwards which is probably too low even for 6 months back. Basically, all the ones which were open for inspection on weekends were reject stock for mum & dad investors or total knock down rebuild for developers. The full-time investors snapped up the good stuff during the week. I figured I needed to get a good BA on board to help me.

Decided recently to look interstate ... Can buy 2 for that price for something with similar demographic and distance to CBD... Granted they may not go up as much as Sydney but I'm a buy & hold type.

If I ever decide to look in Sydney again, will definitely give you a bell! I think you gave me a good tradie contact once which I'm very grateful.

I missed the boat Jacqs. Remember looking at the Btown stuff when they were sub $300k not so long ago. :eek: Trying not to remind myself too much haha.

Cheers

Lalor Park, medium $520k, 28% increase in last 12 months....

My wife convinced me not to buy when they were about $320k only a couple years ago. Dam woman!

Lalor Park, medium $520k, 28% increase in last 12 months....

My wife convinced me not to buy when they were about $320k only a couple years ago. Dam woman!

I'd been looking there for a couple years before I finished uni and made a single dollar. Always loved the location of it more than I did Blacktown although there was a lot of department of housing there at the time. My mate bought one there I think 3 years ago for 320..My other mate just bought one there last week for 617k which was crappier than my other mates place.. That's life. It's gone nuts out here

hi Jacque

It wasn't your office!

I think I did try to call your office ... as I've been reading your posts for years and value your expertise and experience. I believe I left a voicemail. I did get some miss calls that week but no voicemails left. So I didn't bother calling back (in case they were telemarketers) ... so I may have missed your office returning my call which is my bad.

I was budgeting up to $600k for house (with GF potential) in western suburbs from Blacktown onwards which is probably too low even for 6 months back. Basically, all the ones which were open for inspection on weekends were reject stock for mum & dad investors or total knock down rebuild for developers. The full-time investors snapped up the good stuff during the week. I figured I needed to get a good BA on board to help me.

Decided recently to look interstate ... Can buy 2 for that price for something with similar demographic and distance to CBD... Granted they may not go up as much as Sydney but I'm a buy & hold type.

If I ever decide to look in Sydney again, will definitely give you a bell! I think you gave me a good tradie contact once which I'm very grateful.

I missed the boat Jacqs. Remember looking at the Btown stuff when they were sub $300k not so long ago. :eek: Trying not to remind myself too much haha.

Cheers

Good to hear Cadence but never look back only forward in the property market. Buy when you can afford it, is my motto :)

Last sub $300K freestanding house we bought in Blacktown was for the Ch 10 The Renovators show in 2011 (some may remember it) and I picked it up for $299K- was a great little doer-upper that ended up winning the show :D

Save your cash...no buyers agent will be able to get you a good deal in Sydney at the moment...Sydney is way to hot...go counter cyclical and skip Sydney till 2018-2019.

The same over priced house in Western Sydney might be able to be bought for 20-30% less....especially if there are mortgagee sales. Don't become a statistic!:p

I was budgeting up to $600k for house (with GF potential) in western suburbs from Blacktown onwards which is probably too low even for 6 months back....
Cheers

Hi cadence, looking beyond your "backyard" can be enlightening indeed... for example with $500-550k you can get a lot of value coupled with good prospects of long-term capital growth in Adelaide.
I don't really understand your situation and strategy but am confident there wuld be several good alternatives for you down there. This would include properties in some of the best and popular Adelaide suburbs e.g. Norwood, Unley etc (townhouse) or beachside...
For that kind of money there would also be opportunities in future subdivision properties (1 into 3) in some good locations no further than 10km from CBD and 2-3km from Brighton/Glenelg beach.

Parramatta is great to invest

Save your cash...no buyers agent will be able to get you a good deal in Sydney at the moment...Sydney is way to hot...go counter cyclical and skip Sydney till 2018-2019.

The same over priced house in Western Sydney might be able to be bought for 20-30% less....especially if there are mortgagee sales. Don't become a statistic!:p

Why in Western Sydney price crash ?
I was thinking to buy in Western Sydney area like in Parramatta area (within 10 KM radius) due to this new development: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/parramatt...rd-after-demolition-approvals-20150519-gh3ydx

You can't go wrong investing in Parramatta with that official news :)

You can't go wrong investing in Parramatta with that official news :)

With all due respect, John, do you have ANY idea at all where you want to invest. Just today I've noticed you mentioning Wollongong, Jordan Springs, Parramatta, Ingleburn, Glenmore Park. Now, I haven't even been online that much today, so there's probably more.

Or....are you just fishing to see what others think of those areas?

Back