Western Sydney suburbs - Is this the boom area for Houses???

Do you think the suburbs mentioned in this post are boom suburbs in the future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't invest in Western Sydney for cap growth at the minute. Petrol prices are going to kick an already subdued market. If you can get CF+ and are happy with that alone, then sure.

You tell me where you can buy a townhouse for $130,000 closer to the city or beachside?
1. Who mentioned anything about a townhouse?
2. Tell me where you can buy one for $130k in Western suburbs?
3. His budget is $400k

2. If you want to change the question to a more mathematical, analytical point of view - then why not buy in Western Sydney. I for one have not researched this area, but I have seen the numbers. They add up!
Then why are you on here arguing with someone who has?

my point is: why buy West when the percentages say buy Inner (or beachside etc)?

Because even those who say this, sooner or later will be buying out west because buying there is already cheaper than renting close to the city.

We are talking about 20 or 30Km from city centre it's not exactly 500Km away and not everyone works in the city anyway.

Parramatta, Liverpool and Blacktown are pretty big centres these days and as I said there are business parks out there too.

Cheers

I disagree on the poor choice comment
I'd say it depends on what people are looking for.
Looking for? The name of the game is real estate investment and everyone is looking for a profit.

If I had the choice to buy 1 property in Bondi or 4 in well located suburbs out west I'd go for the later because my holding costs will be lower and because I would have a bigger pool, of tenants.
Bigger pool of tennants? News to me. Last time I checked vacancy rates were at all time lows across Sydney.

I buy cheaper properties because I am not convinced that the price difference between expensive suburbs and cheaper suburbs is sustainable over the long term.
Ever heard the saying "the richer get richer"? Well historically over long term, land that is closer to the city or beachside gets better growth than outer suburbs.

I have no problems with your strategy of being able to buy a greater $ value of property by buying many cheapies than one expensive. I have used that strategy before myself. But that is not my point. My point is that right now WS is a fair while away from a boom, inner/east/beach is far closer, and over the long term growth is better closer to the city.

There is not a good argument to choose WS over close to the city suburbs.

Trends can and will change.
Show me a time where over the long term an established outer suburb got more growth than an inner one?

It will be few and far between.

I voted yes because I have no doubt that those suburbs and
the whole of Western Sydney will see good price increases in the future.
At some stage the **** end of nowhere will get good growth. That doesn't mean it is a good investment. There is a thing called opportunity cost.

Can you mount an argument as to why Sydney's West is better than other regions? (apart from people who absolutely can't afford anywhere else?

Buck nammit

Just because a suburb or 2 have a bad reputation does not mean that the whole region where over 2 million people live is a 3rd world country.
There are actually some very nice suburbs in western Sydney.

Starting from simple things that people appreciate like quiet family friendly neighbourhoods, Houses with own garage plus free and plentiful off street parking, Things like lower cost of living, i.e lower council rates, cheaper groceries, cheaper petrol, new sporting facilities, some new schools, new or updated shopping centres, less drug problems, etc etc.

Ofcourse you won't be paying $200K for a property in one of those areas but you do get more for your money and for the $ someone can save by paying a lower mortgage he/she can pay to send their kid to a private school or to go on a holiday etc etc.

Anyway, some people will value these things differently than me but you get my drift. :)

Cheers

Because even those who say this, sooner or later will be buying out west because buying there is already cheaper than renting close to the city.
So what?

The sentiment here seems to be "eventually it will go up so therefore it s a good investment".

I have stated that I think there will be better. You all want to argue with me but not one person has given me a reason why Western Sydney is a better option that Inner Sydney?

We are talking about 20 or 30Km from city centre it's not exactly 500Km away and not everyone works in the city anyway.

Parramatta, Liverpool and Blacktown are pretty big centres these days and as I said there are business parks out there too.

Cheers
So what? Does this mean it's a better option that somewhere close to the city?

Do any of you people have a point?

Buck nammit

Just because a suburb or 2 have a bad reputation does not mean that the whole region where over 2 million people live is a 3rd world country.
There are actually some very nice suburbs in western Sydney.
Ahh, I get it now. You have the Westie chip on your shoulder.

When did I say anything about bad reputation? The simple facts are that property in most major cities grows at a faster rate close to the city. Economies of scale.

Starting from simple things that people appreciate like quiet family friendly neighbourhoods, Houses with own garage plus free and plentiful off street parking, Things like lower cost of living, i.e lower council rates, cheaper groceries, cheaper petrol, new sporting facilities, some new schools, new or updated shopping centres, less drug problems, etc etc.
Firstly, I'm quite aware of this. Please remove the chip from your shoulder. haven't said anything that can make you reasonably assume that I'm not aware of this.

Secondly, regardless of the above, the facts are that demand is higher and supply is lower of inner suburbs. Not sure why you're trying to argue this?

What opportunity?
Have I missed something? :D
The opportunity cost of buying West is buyng Inner.

IMHO you will be waiting long for that opportunity to come
What are you on about?

Essentially I have stated my opinion about WS and you have got all offended about it. Harden up.

In the meantime keep paying that mortgage...
Ahh, the ld talk down to someone trick.

You seem to be inferring that you don't have a mrtgage because you have been so successful n your investing whilst I am some mere guy paying off a mortgage.

Firstly, no need to turn this into a ******* contest.

Secondly, I'm an unknown quantity to you. How do you know I'm not a property millionaire and you're making an **** of yourself?

Ahh, I get it now. You have the Westie chip on your shoulder?

No, I am programmed to see value.

On the other hand some people prefer to walk blind folded and this is not a comment for you or others here.

Anyway, don't believe that everything close to the city or anywhere else for that matter will be going up forever just in case it doesn't happen.

Good luck with your investments

Holy Cow - What have I started????

:confused:

Guys,

My question to begin with was to kick of this post to seek some general advise in relation to the suburbs I've identified. My question's were very specific and I think we've actually gone south on the post not west :)

• I want to buy a house and move out from our unit.
  • The family is growing and I need a house.
  • With a budget of approx $400K lets get real, I can't get much of a house with closer proximity to the city.
  • I have had a look at other suburbs (eg Wiley Park, Lidcombe etc) to see if there's something we can afford - for my kinda money no joy.
  • I've been in the country for 12 years and live in Lidcombe/Auburn all the time and don't have much of a problem with the west.
  • Maybe I should look at suburbs like SevenHills etc as well...
  • The idea of seeking advise was to see if I can hit two birds with one stone:
  • Buy a house (possibly 4 Br, 2 Toilets, single or double garage) in a suburb that could potentially boom (or maybe boom is a bad word),:D grow in value over the next few years.
  • Like this I get a house and potentially accumulate some Capital growth.

My question in relation to transport was because I work in the city. But since I work in IT there's no reason that in 5 - 7 years I may get a job in Parra or Blacktown etc - jobs are always available.

Sorry, if I caused some grief among members but I was hoping to get advise on my specific circumstances NOT the general trends in property markets and capital growth. :D

Thanks guys. :)

:confused:

Guys,

My question to begin with was to kick of this post to seek some general advise in relation to the suburbs I've identified. My question's were very specific and I think we've actually gone south on the post not west :)

• I want to buy a house and move out from our unit.
  • The family is growing and I need a house.
  • With a budget of approx $400K lets get real, I can't get much of a house with closer proximity to the city.
  • I have had a look at other suburbs (eg Wiley Park, Lidcombe etc) to see if there's something we can afford - for my kinda money no joy.
  • I've been in the country for 12 years and live in Lidcombe/Auburn all the time and don't have much of a problem with the west.
  • Maybe I should look at suburbs like SevenHills etc as well...
  • The idea of seeking advise was to see if I can hit two birds with one stone:
  • Buy a house (possibly 4 Br, 2 Toilets, single or double garage) in a suburb that could potentially boom (or maybe boom is a bad word),:D grow in value over the next few years.
  • Like this I get a house and potentially accumulate some Capital growth.

My question in relation to transport was because I work in the city. But since I work in IT there's no reason that in 5 - 7 years I may get a job in Parra or Blacktown etc - jobs are always available.

Sorry, if I caused some grief among members but I was hoping to get advise on my specific circumstances NOT the general trends in property markets and capital growth. :D

Thanks guys. :)

Try hills area/parramatta, my pick that is...

baulkham hills, winston hills, northmead, old toongabbie, wentworthville, greystanes..

I agree with bucky.

WS may at some point later in the cycle be OK for a "short-term flick"...but the problem with that is it's like gambling.

The old ''it'll go up in the long-term'' line doesn't mean very much either, almost any property will go up in the long-term, that's what property does.

I prefer to invest with a medium-term time frame of 5-7 years, and pick the areas that I think will show the greatest growth in this time-frame, not some wishy washy 10/15/20 year ''long-term'' time-frame.

Another point, people investing in these suburbs seem to be blinded by the yield.

Let's get this straight...

Higher yield = Higher risk.

You get 9% yields for a reason.

Unfortunately, the ''reason'' isn't particularly easy to quantify, and this is where people can become unstuck.

Eg. the suburb could be a ''dump'' (quote from Nathan discussing Tregear :)).

On a more positive note, I believe outer suburbs were more highly valued about 50 years ago, and the ''working class'' inner suburbs were less sought after.

But I think that sentiment has now reversed...

(I hope Spidy doesn't read this :D)

Dedfred

On the Nothern side Nathan has already mentioned a few suburbs
On the South, I'd look at Padstow, Holworthy/Wattle Grove.

If you can afford a house why don't you look for a duplex or townhouse?

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007079642
These are nice properties if you are after that sort of thing and very close to the train station but not so close to the shopping centre.

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2006962846
This is 100M from the shopping centre, I know because I was looking to buy one of them for my collection...:)

An express train to the city should take less than half an hour
and you are also close to the M5.

Cheers

I agree with bucky.
I agree with a couple of points he made also, but I'd like to disagree just to keep him fired up:D. Funny as **** this thread.

CAGR over 10years RP Data. The numbers dont lie

Blackett 9%
Blacktown 9.4%
Colyton 8.7%
Dharruk 9.1%
Emerton 8.9%
Glendenning 8.3%
Mount Druitt 10.5%
Plumpton 9.4%
Doonside/Hassel Grove 8.4%

Vs Inner Suburbs

Bondi 9%
Chatswood 7.2%
Darlinghurst 6.9%
Enmore 7.5%
Paddington 8.5%

Another point, people investing in these suburbs seem to be blinded by the yield.
Let's get this straight...
Higher yield = Higher risk.
You get 9% yields for a reason.

We'll have to disagree on this point.
Sometimes higher yields mean lower capital growth (Although this has been debated to death).
Its the promise of high capital growth that means higher risk in my book.

Higher yields also reflect a lower purchase price with a high rental demand but that goes without saying.

Everyone is focussed on growth potential.

I think dedfred was looking at growth potential as secondary requirement.

Sure some of these areas might have good growth but would you want to raise your kids there.
Personally I would be looking at the area I would feel comfortable tp raise my children (schooling etc).

Some of the schools in the west (not all by any means) leave a lot to be desired. I have worked in some of these schools. There are major differences.

Our first PPOR was in Oakhurst. We really enjoyed our 7 years there. We intended to be out in 5 years (before the kids started school) but that ended up being 7. The primary school (Plumpton) was lovely (despite the 10 foot perimeter fence) but there was no way my kids were going to Plumpton High.

My advice is to look more closely at where and with whom you want your kids to grow up with.

Everyone is focussed on growth potential.

I think dedfred was looking at growth potential as secondary requirement.

Sure some of these areas might have good growth but would you want to raise your kids there.
Personally I would be looking at the area I would feel comfortable tp raise my children (schooling etc).

Some of the schools in the west (not all by any means) leave a lot to be desired. I have worked in some of these schools. There are major differences.

Our first PPOR was in Oakhurst. We really enjoyed our 7 years there. We intended to be out in 5 years (before the kids started school) but that ended up being 7. The primary school (Plumpton) was lovely (despite the 10 foot perimeter fence) but there was no way my kids were going to Plumpton High.

My advice is to look more closely at where and with whom you want your kids to grow up with.

You are right Lynnee,

(Sorry for side tracking dedfred:))

When purchasing our PPOR we purchased in a street we knew was zoned for a certain school. The central coast has areas like Sydney's West. I certainly wouldn't be sending my kids to some of the schools up here, so had to buy in a better neighborhood in a great street.

The growth potential usually goes hand in hand with the better areas, better streets, etc. So it's a win, win situation anyway!:):D

Regards JO

those numbers are "medians", and they can be misleading.
But what they simply say is that it's not the suburb that makes the good investor.

So get over it, and get on with it!

Back