Westmead

Doing DD on Westmead...

Can any local Sydney siders give me their thoughts on the area?

Proximity to high Employment areas, Recreational Facilities , Public Transport Services, Medical Facilities, Private/Public Educational Schools & Campuses, Shopping Centre precincts, Good , bad, etc etc

Last edited:
It has a big hospital there I know, but that's about all. FWIW I've just signed a contract for a villa in Wentworthville which I think is somewhere near there.

If you dont mind divulging -

How recent did you purchase and what attracted you to the area?
How many bedroom villas and what did you pay for it?
How much does it rent for?
How many in the complex and how old is it?
How much are the council rates & body corporate per annum?

Please feel free to PM if you dont want to answer publicly.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

It's next to Parramatta which is the geographic centre of greater Sydney. It has a railway station on the main Western line between the City and Penrith, with fairly frequently stopping trains from a couple of feeder lines in, making it more attractive to live near there than some of the stations beyond where trains stop less often. It is proximate to an enormous Westfield shopping centre at Parramatta. You would probably find a wide range of people want to live there - nurses from the hospital, students, maybe families. There are lots of unit blocks in Westmead, in fact it is not much else, so you may want to check that rents are reasonable and not held down by the sheer number of units there - talk to some property managers.

Westmead is a good place to live in, lot of asians live there, got a very big hospital, fantastic public school, low crime rate, near to parramatta cbd, lot of parks. Heard some big property development going to happen by lendlease developers close to station.

Rent is also reasonable around 350 per week, lot of room left for capital growth.

Main business is Westmead Hospital and Westmead Childrens + associated medical offices. Traffic is chaos around these areas in the monrings and afternoons. I worked at the NAB branch there back in 1996.

Like much of Parra, Holroyd and Wenty they have their fair share of crime. Three charming men with shot guns did a withdrawal.

While the hospital hasn't changed much since then, there are many more apartment blocks around.

Westmead seems to be more desirable than the other surrounding areas - maybe because it's closer to northmead.

Some places advertised as westmead are actually wentworthville. Pices have jumped up nicely like much of western sydney over the last 18 months. I have 2 in neighbouring merrylands.

I live at Westmead and just love it !

We have never had any troubles living here, theres quite alot of traffic and not much parking but we are used to that, we love being so close to Parramatta.

Its quite multicultural and I like that too, we have lovely neighbours. Lots of units here, bottom price seems to be around $300 now, for an older style 2 bed one bath unit. Besides all the older units there is alot of new development on and around Darcy road. Ive never known any of the units in my street to be emply for longer than a week or two.
shopgirl.

If you dont mind divulging -

How recent did you purchase and what attracted you to the area?
How many bedroom villas and what did you pay for it?
How much does it rent for?
How many in the complex and how old is it?
How much are the council rates & body corporate per annum?

Please feel free to PM if you dont want to answer publicly.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

I don't have a problem divulging at all. Here is a link to what I bought - deposit paid yesterday - http://www.lsrealestate.com.au/property/24568-0000024938.html although I did get if for a little less than asking price.

Estimated rent is $350 - 360 p/wk and it is 11 years old. B/C is $319 per quarter approx and council rates I think are around the same.

What attracted me to the area? Well, basically did a map search on realestate.com.au and picked Parramatta and this was the nicest one I could find in my price range. Its within 15 mins walk to the station which is always a main criteria of mine and I know Parramatta has lots of infrastructure and is within 22km from the city with a train line and buses + it is a major business area in itself.

Basically I wanted to buy something newish before end of June which would give me some tax benefits to offset my CF+ properties and hopefully reduce my tax bill for this year. More property in QLD is out due to potential land tax issues and Perth is out of my budget.

Close to the Hospital, Close to Parramatta which is hub for the area. Close to some lovely parks. Close to blacktown as well up the M4. Excellent transport facilities. Also close to the university (UWS) campus there. I live around 15 minutes from westmead but wouldny mind living there at all... I wouldnt say that it has a high crime rate at all. it id defintely not known for that and I never hear anything about it on the news or local paper. generally lots of hard working ppl live there. Lots of indians too love the area. rental def wont be an issue.
Good luck! leave some for me! :)

Back