Westpac up by 0.45%

so dear landlords, in the next rent review, are you increasing the tenant's rent by $10 x 3 (3 interest rate rises) per week?

I'll adjust rents to as much as the market will offer me as and when each IP becomes due for a rent review, irrespective of IR movements - up or down.

Did LL reduce their rents when IR were coming down? Hardly.

I agree. Their economists expect the RBA will be pausing, so I guess they want to expand their margin while they can. And by announcing immediately, they can reasonably expect the others to follow to a large extent & blend in with the crowd.

At least, that's what they hope will happen. Obviously caught the others by surprise as they have uncharacteristically held off on their announcements. Now if they decide NOT to follow suit it will be an intersting situation WP has put itself in.

You are right Ms Jade, and don't we so wish this to be the case.

It is a good chance for the other banks to make themselves look good.

Regards JO

You are right Ms Jade, and don't we so wish this to be the case.

Regards JO

There's no effective competition to force them to make themselves look good. And let's not even mention IR on business loans :rolleyes:

I'm surprised by all the bad media coverage they have got for this which is great. Yesterday every news show featured the Westpac announcement while Today Tonight and other similar shows all portrayed Westpac as the EVIL bank.

Look good to mortgage holders & govt, but not to shareholders or profit share employees.

There's no effective competition to force them to make themselves look good. And let's not even mention IR on business loans :rolleyes:
Westpac has upped resi by 0.45%, but business loans by only 0.25%.

Westpac is penalising mortgage holders & benefiting businesses. It's something the RBAs blunt cash rate tool can't do.

If all banks go up by the .45 maybe this will mean the RBA will decide against another increase in Feb seeing that the banks have doubled it themselves in one hit

Bankwest to also life rates by .45% IMO

My partner who works at an advertising firm has a meeting with them today. They have only come to them yesterday in regards to setting up a large media campaign showing them to be the "good" bank starting from Nov 11

Sorry if I've missed it but does anyone know how much ANZ and NAB have gone up by?
None of them have made a move yet.... 48 hours after the RBA announcement... almost unheard of ! :eek:

I reckon they're all sweating on the next one to announce... then they'll make a decision. They all want to look like the good guy by raising a tiny bit less than the others, so they need to others to move first.

this is hilarious - I think the other banks will watch Westpac suffer and will only go 25.

Gail Kelly has been a disaster at the helm. she should resign.

this is hilarious - I think the other banks will watch Westpac suffer and will only go 25.

Gail Kelly has been a disaster at the helm. she should resign.

Has she?;)

What is see is this:

Westpac and CBA picked up (from reports) 80% of all the new FHO Business. Uninformed newbie buyers. Ripe for the picking.With the FHO boom over and bloated with new loans why be competitive?

Sting em up! Will they leave for 0.2%? No - and if they do HELLOOOO! early exit fee.

No I think Ms Kelly is very smart. Fatten the cow for slaughter.

Peter 14.7

gail got a nice bonus for her performance and so she should..............I dont agree with Worstpacs latest move, nor with their reduction in broker comms,not with their sometimes odd credit policy............but hey, its THEIR buisness, and someone else's money

ta
rolf

As a WBC shareholder I am very impressed with their tactics through the GFC. They have been writing the majority of the loans in the growing OO resi market to date due to their low margins. Now they have a bloated loan book in this area with lots of people on variable they can just up the margins on them and know most won't move coz the difference isn't "that much". Now they have:

1 - A much bigger loan book than their competitors; and
2 - Now very similar margins =
3 - Bigger profits

I reckon Gail has done a stellar job. Their rates are now getting closer to the others but they will still make more money from this strategy than the others.

As a WBC customer, I am happy I have chosen to diversify my lender base, much to the chagrin of my "relationship manager" at WBC.

Back