Wet rot. Heeelp!

Well, I am in the middle of the reno of the hell but one issue at a time:
My current issue is wet rot in the corners of cedar awning windows. I can dig out the spongy bits but then what? I guess I need to kill the fungus with something & then fill it. I vaguely remember someone telling me a while ago that there is a resin which soaks right into the wood & stops the rot. Then I just need to build it back up with a bit of putty? These windows are just being clear-coated rather than painted (never had much trouble with the ones I've painted instead:rolleyes:). So i am thinking there will be a putty colour to match.
Has anyone dealt with this successfully & what did you use? I would like as 'permanent' a solution as possible as I plan to keep this house. Thanks

There is a rot-stopping chemical you can buy at bunnings - ask the staff, they'll show you. I didin't bother with it and just used putty, as we were selling the propoerty that suffered the issue :p

Cheers,

The Y-man

I've never had much luck with the stop rot products. They'll buy a bit of time, but that's all I reckon. And trying to match putty with timber to clear coat the window is a big ask.
I've had a couple of old timber boats, so I tried a few things on the rot around the cabin windows.
The only thing that worked for me was removing the window, cutting out the bad timber, and replacing it with matching timber. I think it's called scarfing.
Scott

Hi Ms Jade,

We had same problem with IP window. Could put my finger through the wood it was that rotten. Didn't want to replace whole window frame so handyman fixed no probs using some sort of stuff they use on boats. It sinks right into the wood & makes it hard as anything! Can't find the name of it, possibly some sort of 'fibreglassy' type filler? repair cost about $100.

Regards,
M&M

Well, I am in the middle of the reno of the hell but one issue at a time:
My current issue is wet rot in the corners of cedar awning windows. I can dig out the spongy bits but then what? I guess I need to kill the fungus with something & then fill it. I vaguely remember someone telling me a while ago that there is a resin which soaks right into the wood & stops the rot. Then I just need to build it back up with a bit of putty? These windows are just being clear-coated rather than painted (never had much trouble with the ones I've painted instead:rolleyes:). So i am thinking there will be a putty colour to match.
Has anyone dealt with this successfully & what did you use? I would like as 'permanent' a solution as possible as I plan to keep this house. Thanks

You could try the various wood hardeners, such as Earls Wood Hardener - look
at http://www.timbermate.com.au/

Cheers
Neil

We've tried both on different projects and the filler will never look as good or be as long term a solution as just replacing the sections of wood that are rotten with new timber.

Wishing you every success, Ana

Thanks for your tips, guys. I think the Earl's Wood Hardener might be the go, neil100. I've only had to remove small bits, and i figure this will hold for a few years at least. I've had enough 'scope creep' with this project without extending to replacing a whole window wall just yet.

I know all about 'scope creep'. Yep, if you're happy to just buy a few years, a hardener and filler will work.

West Systems make good fillers and epoxys. I used to use them on my boats. If you want to match a timber colour, get an offcut of that same timber. Sand it and sand it till you have a pile of sawdust. Make up an epoxy mix and add the sawdust. You'll get a paste that should dry to match the timber - it's going to be closer than any putty you'll buy.

Scott

If you want to match a timber colour, get an offcut of that same timber. Sand it and sand it till you have a pile of sawdust. Make up an epoxy mix and add the sawdust. You'll get a paste that should dry to match the timber - it's going to be closer than any putty you'll buy.

Scott
Amazing tip! Thanks, Scott. Oh boy, what a fun weekend I'm about to have.:p

Back