What a joke !

how do you seriously "accidentally" pack away a sink plug?
OK, one last time:

REMOVALISTS REMOVALISTS REMOVALISTS REMOVALISTS!!!!!

They are good at lifting heavy things, often not so good at distinguishing between the occupant's contents, and fixtures/accessories. :D

As well as plugs, a doorbell, doormats, and other items, I just remembered that I've also had a removalist pack the remote control unit for a fixed air conditioner. :rolleyes:

Trust me - it happens - and not infrequently!

But I am now also at the point of rolling with laughter at how ridiculous this discussion has become.

And chris01, that kind of plug is called a "basket waste" and it's hardly exotic; they're standard on new sinks. But $20 wasn't a bad guess. ;)

Annoyance is one thing, principle is another. There's probably more to the story, but how do you seriously "accidentally" pack away a sink plug?

I remember when we went to America, we lost the TV remote and couldn't find it anywhere - Once arriving back in Australia we found it in one of our bags, I swear we checked the bags before hand!

jaycee,

When I was renting I always moved out a day or two earlier then return to the properties to clean / tidy up before handing over the keys. In another word, yes, I paid extra one or days rent (that I didn't have to) because I believed that it was my obligation to return the properties to the same conditions as I just moved in. I never pinched anything (that not belonged to me) from the properties.

OK then.. .if you want to rent offme contact me and I'll send you an applciation form

Seriously, I belvie you are a good person. The tenant did soe thigns wrong, so maybe they aren;t a as good.

But guess what, we already know this type of thdifference and that peopel do these srot of things

Not worth getting angry over, you got your omeny / item(s) back - this is the ssort of crap that happens

Chris01,
You and I both know it doesn't matter to most people here if their theiving tenants steal from them:)It makes no difference who took it, removalists or otherwise. The plug belonged to the property.
You had the chance to have this plug returned, and you grabbed it.I applaud you for that. Should it happen again, and you can't find a replacement, charge the tenant $20 and then buy the cheapest plug that will seal the kitchen sink.

Lightbulbs were probably exchanged, so they can be taken to the next place.Easier on electricity, right?
Charge them for every lightbulb too. Aren't they supposed to be good for 5 years?

OK, one last time:

REMOVALISTS REMOVALISTS REMOVALISTS REMOVALISTS!!!!!

They are good at lifting heavy things, often not so good at distinguishing between the occupant's contents, and fixtures/accessories. :D

As well as plugs, a doorbell, doormats, and other items, I just remembered that I've also had a removalist pack the remote control unit for a fixed air conditioner. :rolleyes:

Trust me - it happens - and not infrequently!

But I am now also at the point of rolling with laughter at how ridiculous this discussion has become.

And chris01, that kind of plug is called a "basket waste" and it's hardly exotic; they're standard on new sinks. But $20 wasn't a bad guess. ;)

ROFLMAO who bloody cares ?! Why are you practically bending over backwards just to prove something to Craig ? exotic non exotic / stanrd / no standrd - it's a bloody plug.. an item that got noticed as needing repalcing at end of lease, who bloody careas if it is possible the tentats/removalist took them by mistake or not - seriously, who cares ?

Life must be good, as we all obviously have heaps of time on our hands

Craig, I hope you see I was not having a go at you and your attitude towards your tenants alone....

Perp, I know you have said it might have been removalist, and granted some arent that bright, but seriously a sink plug?

Packing away a sink plug thats in the sink is like packing away one of those toilet fresheners in the toilet bowl or even those things you screw onto an outdoor tap so you can connect the hose onto.

Remote, door mates and stuff i understand, they are just lying on the table and its easy (i actually dont get the door bell, you would literally have to rip that off - im referring to the remote door bell thats double sided taped to the front door .... a removalist would go to that effort? LOL)

Perp, I know you have said it might have been removalist, and granted some arent that bright, but seriously a sink plug?
It's happened to me more than once.
Packing away a sink plug thats in the sink is like packing away one of those toilet fresheners in the toilet bowl[/quote]
Yep, had that happen too!
neK said:
i actually dont get the door bell, you would literally have to rip that off - im referring to the remote door bell thats double sided taped to the front door .... a removalist would go to that effort? LOL
Apparently, yes!

Oh yes, thought of another really stupid thing a removalist packed: we had a sign by the front door, which admittedly was just hanging like a picture, but it said "6 Smith St" or whatever. Yeah, that'll be useful at our new place! :rolleyes:

And another time, we had a fly screen which we'd taken out because you couldn't open the window with it in, so we just left it out, standing on the floor, leaning against the wall below the window. Yep, that got packed, too!

As the old saying goes: "never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity". :D

Thank you guys for the posts.

Well, plugs (basket wastes or whatever you call it), light bulbs or yellowpages are not expensive items. But my point here is if it's not yours, leave it where it is.

The other day I left a piece of old timber on my drive way while I was doing something. Two hours later it disappeared. I had to drive to Bunnings to buy new one. It's only worth $5. Can't that ash*le go to Bunnings and buy himself/herself new one instead of steeling from me? Bunnings has heaps and also cheap. It's very annoying. These people steal everything, cheap or expensive.

Also the tenants before these tenants took all the door stops with them when moving out. I didn't complain about it because I was going to renovate the house anyway. I don't understand how this happened. Again, can't they just go to Bunnings (2 mins away) to buy the door stops? It's not expensive.

Last edited:
ROFL. Thats gold Perp!

Your post gave me a good chuckle. :D

Thankfully thats never happened to me, but if it does, im going to point the finger at you for jinxing me. LOL

The lesson I learnt from the lease is that I should have insisted my PM to get the reference from tenants' previous RE. I accept their rental application without any references. My PM (now ex-PM) told me that the tenants didn't have references because they owned their own house. Now I know that the tenants moved to Australia in 2003 and they rented for several years after arrival. Then they bought a house and renovated it and sold it. Then they rented my IP while renovating their next home.

In the future, references from previous RE will be a must. No private references.

The lesson I learnt from the lease is that I should have insisted my PM to get the reference from tenants' previous RE. I accept their rental application without any references. My PM (now ex-PM) told me that the tenants didn't have references because they owned their own house. Now I know that the tenants moved to Australia in 2003 and they rented for several years after arrival. Then they bought a house and renovated it and sold it. Then they rented my IP while renovating their next home.

In the future, references from previous RE will be a must. No private references.

Chris,
I think you will find references will not be of much value.
It doesn't predict the future.
Use the bond when required, and you can always get new things, when old ones are stolen.
Out of our 39 units, we may get 3 phone calls a year asking for a reference. My main concern when considering a tenant is, do they have sufficient income to rent our property.

No way to pay back. We never had daily rental price. Our IP is priced on weekly basis and if they stay for one day then they still have to pay for the whole week.

We do.
We either charge them for another month or $100. Depends on the tenant.
If it is a good tenant, it would be 1/30 of the monthly rate, per day

Perp,
Did you return the doorbells?
I can't remember, to be honest, but on that occasion I was moving out of my own PPOR, so I was only "robbing myself". ;)

Oh yes, and I've also had the appliance manuals - eg for the oven and air-conditioner, which obviously stayed - packed. :rolleyes:
ROFLMAO who bloody cares ?! Why are you practically bending over backwards just to prove something to Craig ? exotic non exotic / stanrd / no standrd - it's a bloody plug.. an item that got noticed as needing repalcing at end of lease, who bloody careas if it is possible the tentats/removalist took them by mistake or not - seriously, who cares ?

Life must be good, as we all obviously have heaps of time on our hands
Does it not strike you as ironic that you are spending equally as much time trying to convince us that this is a pointless discussion? :D I've just spent 3 days in hospital with a sick child, so yes, have had heaps of spare time. What's your excuse? :p

Back