What advice would you give yourself 10 years ago that you know now?

There's not a lot I would do differently, I started out pretty young and went pretty hard pretty early. Initially I never traveled, but then by my mid 20s that caught up with me and I addressed that traveling the major parts of the world by age 31 and lived OS for 18 mths which was just amazing while my property was ticking over nicely back home in the background.

The biggest thing I would say is to probably listen to my gut more and have more faith in myself earlier on. I am different to many of the people who I worked with for many years, a lot more driven. I was told repeatedly by lazy coworkers that I wouldn't be able to go out on my own, work from home etc, because I would get distracted by the TV and it would be "risky" and all this crap. What they meant was "they couldn't" yet amazingly they force it down my throat telling me *I* couldn't. Well proved that all wrong, and I end up thriving working out on my own and have never looked back. But what a scary move it was to take at the time, I was filled with fear, but just knew in my gut I wasn't happy previously with the way things were going. Then one things leads to another and the best single move I have made in my life. I knew I had more to offer and I knew I was good at my job and had a passion for it, but being in the corporate mouse wheel was not the right "structure" or "mechanism" for me to effectively put my wheels into motion. I was too constrained and bogged down by the Joe Average plodder who was just clocking on and off and slowing me down. People with no drive or ambition who talk about the footy all day or evil people who try to knock you down aka tall poppy syndrome.

if your gut tells you that you are different and that you have more to offer and you can picture yourself doing things a little differently, then push through the fear and just say stuff it and give it a red hot go and 100% back yourself. As someone else said in another post, once you push through the fear, that is truly where the fun starts and life begins to get truly exciting.

I have had a couple of random sickness things flare up out of nowhere, hopefully not permanent, and I am a very healthy/fit person who eats extremely well. But I realise just how much you have to live life for "now" as you may do all this fantastic saving and money making and not even be here at 70 to live off it. So life definitely has to be a balance between lifestyle/convenience and future wealth generation. I've learnt that lesson now and apply it to daily life. I will never starve myself again just for future wealth generation purposes.

Other lessons are probably yes sure expect a helluva lot from your partner/girlfriend but also don't push your girl to her limits and break her from too much pressure to perform. I have had some very caring and wonderfully giving girlfriends, but as I am very driven I have very high expectations and I know I have a bad habit of subtly hinting at them to always work harder and try harder at work etc financially. It would kind of annoy me to meet girls in their mid 20s who don't have anything behind them, you meet them and they don't have their own home and they have a $15k car loan and a $5k credit card debt. You basically inherit their financial woes. When I'd tried so hard since day one to be the opposite of that, it does come as a disappointment for some reason to meet someone like that. But they are good people with wonderful hearts. So I help them out and educate them to get themselves out of debt. And they do appreciate it and feel better off afterwards. Not all girls/girlfriends had fantastic father role model figures in their lives and I honestly reckon it makes a big difference. They don't always learn all of these things if their family broke apart early on in the piece, but as long as they are willing to learn with an open mind then hey that's great.

So when I look back in hindsight, they were usually doing everything for me and going out of their way. I appreciate that now and it has improved who I am now and how I appreciate my current partner and what she does for me. Not everyone is as driven as me and I have to accept that and not be so harsh on people for being human. You can't ask for much more than to have a fully supportive, loving partner who is there with your through all the risk taking and happy to come to the other side of the world with you at the drop of a hat, supporting, organising, cooking and coordinating things all the way through all the ups and downs.

The amazing thing is that the longer you are together, the more you start thinking alike and in parallel and everything more and more becomes a team system that just works.

Nice post Mark. I think i can guess who the mentor is.

Kudos (but i need to spread some around). And nice quote from To Kill a Mockingbird. Quite a decent man, Atticus.

My favourite book, fantastic sentiment that I'd like to think I adhere too

/endthreadjack.

Why not do one now if that's what you want to do? My ex-gf started hers when she was 21 and I started mine (but didn't finish it - I found better opportunities elsewhere) when I was 25.

Because I've put 2 years of time and HECS fees in to my current degree, I find it somewhat enjoyable and I'm not sure the apprenticeship is a realistic option or just a means of escape from pressure at the moment.

That's quite late to start yours though, what was it in? What other opportunity knocked?

My favourite book, fantastic sentiment that I'd like to think I adhere too

/endthreadjack.

Okay to tinker briefly with threadjack?

-Nelle Harper Lee was childhood friends with Truman Capote, both felt outside the 'norms'. (At that time).

Nelle was too rough for the girls, Truman scared of the boys, so he just tagged on to her and she was his protector.

-TKAMB was initially a selection of stories by Harper Lee, 'based upon' events and people in her life, growing up, Atticus is actually her dad. She was encouraged to turn the short stories into the novel by a type of editor/mentor in her life.

-From her biographer, (Sheilds), on Harper Lee:

I have come to believe Harper Lee was inspired by love to create her great novel-love for the world of the South, for her little town, her father, her family, for the values she found among the people she most admired.[/QUOTE]

-TKAMB I 'think' was the only book she ever wrote, she did have another shorter story published, and was forever working on another book, but that was it.

The night the Oscars were on she didn't even have a tv to watch...:)

So, even though it is officially fiction, the book and characters, (more and less) are based upon her family, similar real occuring events happening circa Nelle's childhood.

The Alabama Bar Association erected a monument in Monroeville to Atticus Finch, Lee's fictional lawyer. Such is the power of her writing. The benevolent ghosts of Maycomb hold sway with a tenacious force that frays the line between fiction and reality.

Despite wearing a mantle of mystery, and with only one book to her credit, Harper Lee remains a literary giant. Her timeless story, rich in its sense of place, voice, plot and characterization, is everything a novel should be. Her words give pleasure to first-time readers and to those who read her book again and again. Whether she likes it or not, she's a curiosity, whose presence fans must conjure through imagination and by borrowing a few of her words.

The story behind the story...and a classic piece of literature, each time you read it, you get something else from it. Scout is Nelle of course, Nelle was considered a bully and tomboy as a child also, (real life).

1. Dont buy that cheap commercial property as your first investment, stick to what you know best and buy a residential property instead

2. When returns seems very high compared to anything else, they are probably too good to be true, and will end in tears. See point 1.

3. Buy, just buy something (residential) now.

4. Losing a very good deal for just a couple of thousand dollars (less than 1% of the purchase price) is not good - its just a 'rounding error' after 1-2 years.

I'd tell myself to just keep doing what I'm doing and in 10 years time I'll be living my dream. The road was a bit bumpy on the way but I'm here because of it and I'm happy.

Ten years ago....

Educate myself in regards to property.

Think Big! Start small.

Start investing.

Acquire a Degree in Property if available.

Build and continue to build contacts.

Learn from property experience of others.

Learn from the mistakes of others.

Take short, specific property related courses from property professionals.

And JOIN THIS FORUM!!

Next question could be "How do you see yourself ten years from now?"

What a great thread, have just spent the day reading it, some interesting and thought provoking advice coming out.

There is one main thing that I would tell the 16 yr old me. Spend more time with your grandmother and be nice to her, don't act like an insulent teenager since you'll miss her constantly when she's gone later that year.

There is one main thing that I would tell the 16 yr old me. Spend more time with your grandmother and be nice to her, don't act like an insulent teenager since you'll miss her constantly when she's gone later that year.

That's a great reminder :). I'm very attached to my maternal grandma...I would call her tonight :). Pity we live so far away. I look forward to seeing her soon.

As for advising myself as a 16 year old, I would tell me...to not "worry" about the future and that the Universe is going to line up everything perfectly even though life seems so difficult right now, the good times pass and so do the bad times...and that there is going to be dawn...so just enjoy the journey, learn the lessons, trust yourself, love yourself, cheer for yourself; Because if you don't do that for yourself, no one ever will. (The difficult part is, will the 16 year old me have understood? Probably not.)

This is what I'd tell myself:

Believe in Yourself
You can do it
Figure out your purpose, and pursue it
Take responsibility for your life, your wealth and your happiness
Build wealth, buy assets
Be different and don't follow the herd

Don't go chasing interesting sounding jobs. Most of the time you end up doing exactly the same work as one of the boring jobs for less money, whilst the company founders and senior staff get all the sexy, exciting work.

18 to 20 months on, I'm starting to change my mind on this one. :D

Back