What advice would you give yourself 10 years ago that you know now?

What can I say except that some people have thicker skulls than others. Some 30 years ago, my wife and I bought our first home - cost $15,000 - within 6 months we were offered $23000 for it (anyone else remember 1973, when prices screamed upward? including gold - which hit something like $800 per ounce...... ???)

8 years later, we sold same home for $45000 (200% in 8 years - sometimes I cringe when I think of it...), we rented for 3 years, then moved to Brisbane, and bought where we could afford for $45000. THAT home screamed upward when Expo88 was on - worth $95000 around '88/'89. Wife sold RE between 87 and 91 - and, early in the piece, we bought our very first IP ($48000), did it up over 2 weeks, rented it at 15% yield, then sold as mortgages hit 18% - sold it for $72000 just 18 months later.

Had a few abortive, (half-hearted?) attempts to "recreate" this over the years - time went on, kids grew up, etc.

Where did all the time go?????

In 1997 wife heard of a radio interview where Robert Kiyosaki was talking about his newest book. I bought RDPD, went "Doh!" - and started searching (slowly) for our future (the age of 50 had also hit....) - since that time, my time and money has been spent on "future benefits": - i.e. buying good books, attending seminars, purchasing IP's, and frequenting forums.. ;)

So, what would I tell myself 10 years ago? I'd say "You ALREADY KNOW the answer - just KNOW that you know, and go out there and make it happen again, and again. Don't take NO for an answer, don't let up - keep on swinging the bat, something will connect." Be confident, be persistent - just DO IT !!!!

PS - by the way, wife and I visited that same FIRST home 6 months ago (door-knocked, and talked our way into the place). It had changed hands again after we sold - for $99,000 in 1992 - today it is worth $200k. And we'd paid $15k for it way back when - but didn't keep it!!!! Forget about "knowing what we know now" - we probably knew it in 1974 - but just didn't know that we knew!! Same in '84, and '94 ...... (I think we know now...... :eek: )

Anyone else THAT thick????

Regards,

Edited later:- I'd said "40 years ago" but it really was only 30 years back !! Changed it to reflect reality :D

Last edited:
Not thick Les, just not looking.

The one reason most people don't do more with their opportunities (or don't even see that there are opportunities) is that they are simply not looking for them. That is either through ignorance, or inexperience, neither of which is a sin !

Yeah, your right Mark and Sim, I wouldn't want to change any of the fundamentals either. I believe everything happens for a reason.
Taking on board the lessons learn't along the way are the important things and the more you have under your belt the better armed you are to succeed in the future.

Rick

I am enjoying this thread.
10 years ago, advice to self -
DONT BUY THAT SE QLD townhouse WORTH 136K!! (which has only now over 9 years later caught up with the purchase price thanks to big growth over the last few months).....buy next door in Holsworthy - small 3 bed fibro at 115k - now worth around 300k 9 or 10 years later.....that one burnt us for over 8 years until the courage was found to invest again....
never mind....still in my mid 30's !!!
Love this forum!!!:)

Originally posted by Kevin Hockey
I agree with Mark entirely, however, this is a hypothetical. No-one can even if they did want to, change the past. However we should, through years of wisdom be able to pass on life lessons learnt.
Absolutely Kevin!

This question was asked of me by someone starting out- a newbie asking for pointers, and hoping to learn from them. I thought the question was so good that I passed it onto the forum- and the answers have been great.

I've made plenty of mistakes. I've learnt from all the mistakes I've made, and I believe I'm moving forward. I'll still make mistakes- and I'll still move forward.

But If I can pass on some lesson to someone else as a result, the lesson learnt from the mistake becomes even more valuable.

10 years ago (well, maybe a couple extra):

1. Invest whilst you are living at home with your parents. It would seem to be the easiest way to gain a good foothold for achieving financial independence.

2. Buy property that you can rent out, not land. I bought land at the age of 21, with the intent of building my future home on it in X years time. Would have been much smarter to buy a rental property, especially one I could live in later, perhaps.

3. Obtain financial education - not from your parents because more likely than not their "advice" will be ultra-conservative and keep you in the rat race (but you still gotta love your parents).

4. Get into the habit of saving a'la Richest Man in Babylon. Material possessions are not everything.

5. Balance your life and your work, and value your health.

Mark/Sim, not everything you might have been able to change in your life necessarily has negative consequences. Had my wife and I started on the road to financial independence earlier we may have reached a position to have children earlier (certainly a blessing), perhaps been able to travel more, etc.

I too wouldn't want to change anything where I might not have been able to meet my wonderful wife, but there are plenty of other things I could have changed after I met her that wouldn't have affected our relationship - perhaps even improved it.

Hi Kevin,

For most of us, having financial freedom whilst we are young is the time we spend our money less wisely, yet we have no mortgage and a lot less commitments than we will later in life. It's the perfect time to save.

I'll print that one out for my boys to read.

Your advice was excellent....... and a great name too.:D

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

HI everybody who have replied to this thread

My computer has been out of action for the last week ,spiked by a storm here in Sydney last monday,dont realise how much you rely on the pc until its gone.
This thread is great but for those old enough (40+)could re-phrase it to ask 10 OR 20 YRS AGO.

I read a book by Bob Jones(Kiwi investor)20 yrs ago called "capital gain "
It impressed me, and covered how to leverage residential real estate ect...however when your 20yrs old hormones and sex,soon get you sidetracked and the last thing on your mind is investing for the future.
So after a failed relationship and many failed ventures later,I would narrow my advice down to the following,
*You must do what you like for a living
*You must find a partner who thinks alike
*You must invest in what you understand
*hang out with people who have the same values and ambition as yourself
*If you act in haste ,you will repent at your leisure
*However ,It is better to act and make a mistake, than do nothing
* Keep focussed no matter what!

like many others who have replied to this thread ,it is only the last 4/5 years or so that things have gone extremely well,however it is only that past mistakes have paved the way.

This is the irony of not acting when you are young,today I work (albeit part time managing one of Bob Jones many buildings).

What advice would you give yourself 10 years ago that you know now?

Your house is not an asset (in your books at least)

An asset puts money into your pocket a liability takes out of it.

Your main financial aim that your passive income exceed your expenses inflation indexed for life.

Do not study computer related stuff, but about how to invest.

Do not let the bank to pressure you to sale your golden eggs.

Do not listen to negative geared and tax effective rubbish.

Do read about investing whatever you can get hold of.

Get to know the right people and employ the right strategy.

Why?

Being able to spend more time with family and friends, travel, enjoy life considerably more.

To avoid being downsized, rightsized, anysized and worried what to live on without having an not so excellent J(ust) O(ver) B(roke).

To do with my life what I want, when I want, where I want and how I want without being concerned about economic factors.

Be generally a much much happier person, be able to help much more people and get a great kick out of what I am doing EVERY DAY.

Am I upset about it?

No, but a bit sad and annoyed as I have missed out on certain things that will not come back. Pleased about the learning path, I usually enjoyed (and still enjoy) it and also it allowed me to meet lots of people with similar interest.

Tibor

Hi,

I just want to say that I have really enjoyed reading the posts on this thread and this is my first post so I'll do my best.

Quick History:
I bought my first property in 1986 when I got married for $75K. I was 20 years old. I sold it for $149K in 1989 after the boom.

Until last year I bought and sold properties (family homes) and did ok along the way. These were primarily renovations until I owner built the place we currently live in about 5 years ago.

All this time I ran a successful photographic business in Sydney's west.That was my biggest problem.I wanted to persue a career in property renovations/development whatever etc. but I was afraid to take the step.

Since July last year I have done 2 renovations and in the process of one small sub-division. I had to go into debt to do it but it has really all been worthwhile.

Family and friends had me convinced that I was crazy.(not anymore)

After 14 years I sold that business(June 2003). Now I enjoy getting up in the morning and going to work, whatever that may be today.

I finally followed my heart, and if I only did it 10 years ago, I'm sure things would have been a little different. I see more of my children and not my staff 7 days a week. You find out how really important the other things in life are when you take time to stop and smell the roses.

My main lesson I have learnt is " Don't doubt yourself ". Just believe in yourself no matter what your situation is, only now do I truly feel success and I have only just begun.

Thans and look forward to you posts.

I think this is one of the most important threads I have ever seen on this forum - thank you to all who have contributed.

If I bumped into an 18 year old version of myself I would say this:

I know you can be ignorant, but please listen to me.

(If that didn't work I would get myself in a headlock and say "I am stronger, older and smarter than you!")

For what it is worth, my advice to myself would be that if it is wealth you desire, then:

- withdraw from full-time university study and study part-time (if at all)
- get a job in a bank (I did work in a bank straight after uni, but the opportunity was lost on me at that time)
- listen and learn to those around you
- watch the financial practices of customers and fellow officers - both good and bad
- ask questions about financial management and plenty of them
- annoy the lending officer / bank manager as much as you can and learn all you can about lending and real estate
- find a good accountant who understands both property and legal structures
- save and save and then save some more
- read books (in early 1994 it would have been "Building Wealth Through Investment Property")
- spend more time with people you can learn from
- buy as much property (houses with land) as often as you can and hold onto it
- I know that car is fast, but it will cost you $$ - look for affordable reliability

To be a better person:

- value every second you spend with friends and family
- listen more and take a genuine interest in those around you
- spend more time with people who inspire you

In general:

- back your own ability
- think outside the square

MB

Last edited:
I have no idea what I'd say to my self of ten years ago, once we got past the 'hey aren't you me from the past' and the destruction of the entire space-time continuum bit.

Because there's really nothing I'd want to change or give myself a heads up on.

A lot of what I know now I wasn't ready for 10 years ago...it would have been worse than useless to me, it would have probably sent me off in the wrong direction.

My journey thus far has been as important as the destination (present). I expect my future journey to be at least as much fun!

I've had a fantastic journey so far....knowing the potential future would spoil the surprise.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

10 yrs ago hmmm... just starting uni in bris vegas - what would i tell myself

- move out of home b'cos the 1.5-2 hrs travel each way to uni everyday is valuable time i could have used for working (cramming for exams still works so who needs regular study). How I did that for 4 yrs I'll never know.

- don't try so hard for great marks b'cos a pass degree is just as good out there in the real world (as opposed to studying really hard and getting honours).

- read the Richest Man in Babylon and actually apply the info

- try to find like minded people who have a passion for being financially independent before 40 (I still haven't met anyone of that ilk - face to face that is :) ).

- don't always put work above having a healthy balanced life - I'm only just learning how to do that. :rolleyes:

- get a good education (going against the grain here by reading the above posts). This enabled me to be in a high paid job straight from uni - where did my $$ go????? See book recommendation above.

- eat healthier, drink less, party less and invest in your spirit (not the acoholic variety)....

End of sermon to self.

Ecogirl

Off Ya Face :)

:cool: Nice to see that some people can still have a great time. (Off Their Face)

Relate to growing Forward & stiil have a sence of humour :p

I think that in the end we all want to have Fun. Do heaps of things. Have great friemds, travel, etc.

Be financially secure. :)

Have a loving Family. :D

Be Confident in our selves :eek:

Basically I had a very limited education. My parents set me up on nothing. I did not go to UNI but met a few property developers & investors out DOING IT ALL in the early 80's. They had No degrees but certainly Knew about the Real World / & how to make BIG BUCKS.

Their information & mentorng served me much more in the 80's than any degree with Distinctions.

Gee Cee

( :D Dumb Retired 40 yr old) :rolleyes:

Ten years ago ...

I would say 'wake up' to myself earlier, listen to people who have made it. Read sensible books by Kiyosaki, Somers, etc.

Join the forum, home network, listen and read, even the spruikers must have a certain patch of good run. That is if one approach skeptically and find the part that works.

Then try and evaluate what really works. I tried both properties and shares. At the evaluation after a good number of years (too long), I realised that my greatest and consistent gains were from my properties.

Do what is enjoyable and gain at the same time. For example, not all new cars are liabilities if you know how to approach it. Not all overseas holidays are liabilities if you know how to arrange it cost-effectively.

Yes, start early and recognise what works earlier. (A message to those who had uni education and is biased towards shares. Read Dolf de Roos' book on real estate.) Shares also work (as at present), but properties give the leaps.
:)

I would tell myself NOT TO SELL MY LITTLE UNIT!!! A better idea would be to use the equity and buy another property.

I would also tell myself where to find my husband a couple of years earlier.

I would also tell myslef to spend more time woth my mother.

I would also inform myself that both butter chicken and pop corn you buy at the movies are very fattening.

Robyne

Hmmm...

What would I tell a 25yo me...

Can I go back an additional 4 years please, and say: "DONT MARRY HIM!!!!!"? Please?! :rolleyes:

I'd also say, SAVE SAVE SAVE, Don't buy that! and BUY PROPERTY...

By the age of 25 I had bought my first IP, AND sold it at a loss... (Damn those 21% interest rates... :( And losing my job during them :eek: )

Hmmm...

What else...

Well, I had just had baby #1 10 years ago, The advice I would give me on that one would be: Don't take the doctor's word as gospel... GET HIS EARS CHECKED!!! May have saved him some deafness, and some speech therapy, and I have to wonder whether it contributed to his autism...

With respect to property...

The answer is: BUY IT!

asy :D

Hi
Great thread. Good reading.
Most thought provoking.
Very much inclined to agree totally with Mark, along the lines , glad to be here where I am. But it would be good to be doing it all easier. :)
I seem to be one of those people who had their blinkers on for most of their life and lived in their own little world, as the rest of the world did other things.
10 years ago I could not have learned what I have in the last 12 months from reading this forum. (didn't have the internet etc) and as much as I have been striving to learn for most of my life, in the past I struggled to find info on what interested me.
Catch 22 - Learning about life and all the what for, what if, and why questions take time and you need money to survive. Because money has never been my priority (and still isn't), it is a necessary and very handy thing to acquire. :rolleyes:
So advice given 10 years ago to self.
1/ As above posts re financial information (and remember the quote "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.")
2/ Don't be bluffed by louder people
3/ Be more determined
4/ Work harder for me, rather than for my employer
5/ Be more determined
6/ Be more confident in my own ability
and 7/ Have faith

BTW Are there many people you would listen to just because they are 10 years older than you. ?

jahn

I just re read this thread, I didnt realise I had already contributed...

Id like to make an addition to my earlier post;

Babyblack will win Race 4 in Dubai tommorrow - I know absurd to think a donkey could win a horse race but @ 1m:1 dont you think you should have a few $$$ on it.

:p

I would say to myself "don't get sidetracked or frightened by other people's opinions".

"Listen here", I would say to me, "YOU GO GIRL!!!!"

Back