What age do you plan to retire?

Hi,

Following on from recent threads asking what age people got their first IP, I wanted to ask what age do you plan to retire and are you on track to reaching your goal?

Oh, me first, I plan to retire before the end of next year (I'll be 30) and I am on track and very much looking forward to it.

-Ian

I don't plan to retire, as such. I just plan to switch from full time work to full time investing, then part time invest, then investing as much or as little as I want.
Alex

I would call that retirement, but I guess the term is different for everyone.

For me it doesn't mean sitting on my a** playing bingo all week.

It means doing what I want, when I want, and not worrying about the next paycheque. And yes for me, part of having fun will be shopping for houses.

[edit: I just realised I quoted your signature, talk about coincidence]

-Ian

Have had this talk with hubby a lot recently (both in our 50s). We both enjoy our jobs, so next year he is cutting back to 4 days a week and I am planning to go from 4 days to 3 days a week.

Within 2-3 years we plan to be on 3 days (him) and 2 days (me) a week. We will continue as long as we want to.

I guess that is the best thing about having enjoyable and interesting jobs.

We can afford to retire comfortably today, but don't want to.
Marg

That's great Marg, congratulations. It is in that sense that I wouldn't say you're suckers because you're enjoying yourselves!

I bet sometimes it doesn't feel like work, does it?

I go to what many people see as my "day job" as a hobby. It's great fun. :)
While the money helps, we could get by without it.

People often think I am joking when I say I get up in the morning and I often can't wait to get to the office.

Cheers,

The Y-man

I go to what many people see as my "day job" as a hobby. It's great fun. :)
While the money helps, we could get by without it.

People often think I am joking when I say I get up in the morning and I often can't wait to get to the office.

Having known you for long enough to learn how much hard work you have gone through to get to this stage, I know you are saying this for real.

I feel admired of your achievement. Well done, man :)

Hubby and I would like to retire at 40 (we are 33 and 32 now).

Retirement to us is being able to make the choice to work, hubby has ideas of working contracts only when he needs/wants to and I would like to get into property development.

ianvestor - thats a great result. May I ask how, generally speaking, you got there at 30?

Congrats!

Well, I must confess it isn't all through property, although the few that I own have been good to me. I'm what they call an internet "whizkid", haha. I'll leave it at that. My real passion is real estate, so I'm putting 99% of my money into property and am looking forward to having capital growth as my main income source.

I just turned 30 and I guess I have 'retired' from the ususal definition of work. I teach Art because I love it (4 hours/week). I am on my 5th year of leave from a full time position. I think I will resign next year as I have no intention of going back ever.

I do work almost full time project managing a little development and managing other investments as well as being Mum to the greatest kids on earth, but I wouldn't change a thing. I generally like to have something on the go. My husband works almost full time but with quite a bit of flexibility. At the moment we are tying up loose ends to allow us to have alot more free time together as a family while the kiddies are still young. Life is great:).

Lou

That's awesome Lou.

What kind of art do you teach and what part of Queensland are you in? Learning to paint is on the agenda for my partner and I once we take that final step...

2012 is the goal and $65k P/A the wage...though this keeps on getting re-evaluated (Rixters $100k P/A sounds much better :D); the sooner the better and it will only be semi-retirement (We'll always be doing something)

That's awesome Lou.

What kind of art do you teach and what part of Queensland are you in? Learning to paint is on the agenda for my partner and I once we take that final step...

At the moment I teach primary aged children. They do a bit of everything - drawing with pencil, charcoal, inks etc, painting acrylic, watercolour, soft pastel. At that age they need the chance to try different things before narrowing down a preference.

I have a lot of requests from Adults for classes. I'd love to do this when my children go to school full time. Life drawing classes(male model) for hens nights sounds like a fun idea too:p. Perhaps I could start a class for retired property investors?

When I have time to put in the committment required I would like to do Art Therapy with dementia sufferers, but that won't be too soon. I also would like to have an exhibition of my own within 5 years.

Lou

Oh, and I live in Mackay.

Yeah, for me its when I can completely supplement our (my wife's and my) income...or thereabouts from property/term deposits/shares, with an emphasis on term deposits ("guaranteed" income). For this to happen I would need 1.25mil in a term deposit, which would account for inflation also...SOOOO, with this in mind, I'm thinking about 45 (now 28)...:)

Since being a teenager at school its been my goal to retire at 45. Figured there was no value in retiring at 65 when I'd be too old to enjoy the fun things I would then have time to do.

Just turned 43 and about to pull off a deal which will see me in a position of complete control by 45. Looking to go on the Ashes tour in 2009 for a couple of months to celebrate :D

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

I'm assuming HA888 is saying with a 1.25m term deposit, he would get around 90k of interest, and he would only spend say 60k. The rest gets put back into the term deposit to allow for inflation.

Though I personally don't think like that. We use shares and property to build wealth faster than by just saving money into a bank account. What would possess us to suddenly say 'let's sell all these great assets which have been returning far more than cash, and put it all into a term deposit'?
Alex

Back