What are most effective sites for advertising rentals - PM's and self managers

I want to determine which sites are the most effective.

My various previous agents have used from 2-4 websites plus their own excluding my current which only uses RE.com. (not sure if their own website needs an IT doctor or they can only list a limited number of properties - either way it needs an IT doctor)

Browsing older threads on the issue there has been comments from PM's that RE.com captured 95% of people, but there are many posts suggesting that Gumtree has been more effective - particularly those who get directly involved or self manage.

My experience - with last agent who did list on many sites I decided to list privately on Gumtree as well to see what happened. Most seemed to be no hopers - I would receive emails or text messages from people asking me to phone them - obviously so little money they can't afford to phone me - therefore would be likely to get behind in rent after 2 weeks. Some were in such a weird situation that alarm bells rang as far as a desirable tenant. I had one guy who had potential and was shown through the house but agent thought him a bit whacky.

As I discovered my current agent only uses RE.com I decided after a couple of weeks of vacancy to list on Gumtree as well - however no phone number was provided and where I needed to supply my name I inserted "contact may agent" and at the bottom of the add I advised to contact my agent for further detail or to inspect and included the link to the agents RE.com add. I posted add under the category of "agent" listing.

I know from previous experience (in various areas) that even some sensible, professional and successful business people don't bother to read beyond the second line of anything, or just ignore instructions. I have had people email me with everything from sob stories to "Bonn". I don't know how many my agent may have picked up from the referral to their RE.com add.

My question is - for agents, where do you find most success. For self managers - where do you find yours. For me, and due to an overall interest real estate and as an investor, RE.com is the first I turn to, however I have come across some listing on Domain which are not on RE.com. But for a tenant who has no other interest in real estate, they may not have heard of RE.com!!

As for Gumtree, some posts suggest that some "good" tenants won't go near a real estate agent. Why? Obviously some dodgy characters are trying to avoid the scrutiny of an agent, but why would decent tenants avoid them? You don't need to convince me there are some crap PM's about, but I would expect this is more obvious from a LL point of view rather than from a tenants. Why would a good tenant want to avoid a PM - the only thing I can think of is slow response to repair/maintenance issues, but generally the tenant would blame this on the owners slackness rather than agents.

Funnily, a couple of days ago and being aware that I was not impressed with their lack of advertising my PM advised that the agency was about to set up an account on Gumtree and asked if I would allow them to list my property there. I replied that I was one step ahead as I already had done so. I realise it costs money to subscribe to RE.com etc but I have only ever had one agency try to charge me advertising, other agents have told me it is a joke that agents try to charge as they pay one subscription fee whether they list one or 100 properties and therefore not on a per listing basis.

So, where do you find you get most success?

Last edited:
Overall RE.com.au is the best by a long shot.

About 8 years ago when I was starting out in RE, we use to advertise on Domain (NSW Central Cost) but found every enquiry we got from domain those same people enquiried about the same property through RE.com.au. So we ended up cancelling our subscription to Domain - and saw no difference in the enquiries but saved a bit of money.

I still think Domain is the second best website but if your already advertising on RE.com I don't think you need to advertise on Domain.

As for my own business - Self Managers use our site to advertise their properties for rent and we don't advertise on Gumtree so I'm always interested to hear their thoughts as some have advertised through our sites and placed their own ad on gumtree. Most have come back telling me that they had a fair amount of enquiries but so many of them would have been terrible tenants. So pretty much what you were saying. I've had 1 out of about 10 people I've spoken to (in the last 6 months) say they actually found their tenant through Gumtree - but I'm not sure how that tenant worked out haha. I think its fine to advertise on Gumtree if your prepared to shift through dodgy tenants and screen very well.

We advertise on the following sites, and to be honest over 90% of the enquiries would come from RE.com. (funny enough I've just seen an enquiry come from thehomepage.com.au surprisingly).
realestate.com.au
homely.com.au
homehound.com.au
onthehouse.com.au
thehomepage.com.au
homesales.com.au
realestate1.com.au
rentfind.com.au

I'm still a big believer in For Lease signs as well. Not just for attracting local traffic but helping people find your house for inspections and drive bys. Make it easy for people find your property! - Most important for Open Homes.

I only use realestate.com. In many instances I will use Gumtree as well, but it depends on the property.

Realestate.com has changed it's pricing, some agencies pay a higher subscription and that's it. The smaller ones, like me, pay a lower subscription and then per property on top. Either way it's not cheap!

You do get a lot of enquiry from Gumtree, but a lot are either tyre kickers or bad tenants that you wouldn't put in your property. Some are fantastic as well, in my experience this is the exception. Also listing as a private landlord may see you with more enquiries because of this.

I find that it comes down to which newspapers are read in an area traditionally. Our area has a strong SMH following and it follows that applications come from Domain yet a few suburbs away it is Telegraph and re.com.au which wins the day.

I haven't advertised anywhere yet as I am still new at this, but I do want to mention that allhomes is very popular in the Canberra area. It has listings interstate too. I like to browse on here more than re.com as I find re.com is a slower website. Just my 2 cents worth.

I find that it comes down to which newspapers are read in an area traditionally. Our area has a strong SMH following and it follows that applications come from Domain yet a few suburbs away it is Telegraph and re.com.au which wins the day.

I'm surprised that many people look in the paper - so much easier on line and to fine tune search. However the glossy realestate newspapers such as the Domain one - various editions around Sydney/interstate and our local Saturday insert (linked to RE.com) are more interesting.

I haven't advertised anywhere yet as I am still new at this, but I do want to mention that allhomes is very popular in the Canberra area. It has listings interstate too. I like to browse on here more than re.com as I find re.com is a slower website. Just my 2 cents worth.

Allhomes is good for ACT and surrounding regions for various info. As for RE.com being slow - no, you must be wrong :rolleyes:

There are many reasons why some good tenants prefer private landlords. Having been a tenant myself I find the 15 min open houses a huge rush to view anything properly, and many agents don't seem to be able to answer questions about the property as well as an owner. Many tenants with well behaved pets also prefer to meet landlords with their pets as some agents discriminate against pets (ie don't even pass on the applications from pet owners). Others might be interested in negotiating the rent in exchange for maintenance, etc and prefer to deal directly with landlords.

In terms of advertising, REA gets the most traffic and most current properties. Feedback about domain is that many old listings are not removed. There are also many free portals for listings. Gumtree is great for exposure but not organized. I myself have recently launched a portal for pet friendly rentals, and I'm giving agents free trials to list on our site too. I'm sharing listings on Facebook and twitter, when I get this I have lots more impressions.

I'm surprised that many people look in the paper - so much easier on line and to fine tune search.

Not saying that they look in the paper but if they are traditionally a Fairfax reader, they will use Domain, if they are from a different area (generally working class) they went to the Murdoch press, then they use re.com

There is little to discern between the number of hits that the sales reps for domain or re.com have. (Though they do not disclose the number of hits in each search area to judge effectiveness).

There are many reasons why some good tenants prefer private landlords. Having been a tenant myself I find the 15 min open houses a huge rush to view anything properly, and many agents don't seem to be able to answer questions about the property as well as an owner. Many tenants with well behaved pets also prefer to meet landlords with their pets as some agents discriminate against pets (ie don't even pass on the applications from pet owners). Others might be interested in negotiating the rent in exchange for maintenance, etc and prefer to deal directly with landlords.

Yep, I have to agree there are advantages of the personal approach and good tenants may prefer private over an agent, but I wonder if they would ignore agents listings and only look on Gumtree, newspaper etc. In less demand areas such as mine where open houses don't have a dozen people waiting outside the PM's have generally show individuals through as convenient to both or group a few together for the one time. I try to sell the property to my PM's from my knowledge of the house and area so they can speak with some degree of personal knowledge.

If self managing, it would appear necessary to list the property on RE.com through one of the channels available to private advertisers, otherwise 95% of potential (desirable) tenants will be missed.

I have heard from people who previously worked in real estate that you will source a better class of prospective tenant if you use Real Estate.com.
Gumtree feedback was that you will attract people with no money who are looking for a steal.

Most people that look on gumtree would likely be looking on REA as well. From a tenant's perspective they can find properties on gumtree that are not listed on REA, so why limit themselves to just REA?

I suspect the reason why REA seems to attract more quality tenants may be that REA attracts more tenants in general. The less desirable tenants turn up at open houses but don't bother to apply (as they can't produce the paperwork), so it may seem like PMs only receive applications from desirable tenants with a REA listing.

On the other hand, gumtree is popular with bargain hunters. Rich and poor alike all love a good bargain. I don't like listing things on gumtree though, within a few hours the ad has moves down to page 10, because there are many "property wanted" ads burying the legitimate ads.

Yen

From what I am aware, Sydney and Melbourne are more Domain towns, and elsewhere its re.com. As we are in Brisbane, we do use Domain for the southern market. As they do not show page visits, its hard to do a real comparison. I can say the bulk of our enquiry does com from re.com. We list on nearly 20 sites, and occasionally we get a response from one of the others. Over the years, the monthly subscriptions though, have really escalated. At the end of the day, I think most agents will look at their area, and use what ever resources they can, and do what ever they can, to get properties let. No one benefits from an empty property. Tenants in property, paying market rent on time, makes the till ring for every one.

Back