What are registration fees?

Hi All,

I've just gone through a loan settlement and have received a list of costs from the bank's solicitor. Apart from all of the normal ones like mortgage duty, establishment fees, etc, there was a rather large entry called "Registration Fees (QLD)". Does anyone know what this is? Thanks.

John.

G'day Johnnyb,

To me, that should be "mortgage registration fees" and is (in my recollection) around $87 per mortgage in Qld.

You mentioned a "rather large entry" - so I don't know if $87 applies as "rather large" (but, of course, you might've had more than one mortgage....)

Regards,

Different States charge different amounts for mortgage registration fees. Some will use a sliding scale depending on the amount of the mortgage. I believe in Queensland, it would be around $728 for a $500,000 mortgage. The other States for the same mortgage would be as follows:

NSW: $58
VIC: $1,320
SA: $2,315
WA: $160
NT: $90
ACT: $148
TAS: $132.60

The average for a $500,000 loan is $618.95.

Any good Mortgage Adviser would have informed you of this cost.

My figures may be a little off as I don't check the States I don't use often until I need them but these were correct last time I checked.

Thanks for your suggestions Les and BigRob. I'm not sure what to think now. The item I was charged for cost $577, for a $240K mortgage.

I was a bit surprised when I got the account as I was not aware of this charge. The schedule in the loan offer documents lists a Mortgage registration fee of $102.50. Because this is so different from what I was actually charged I didn't think it could be the same thing. I think I should do a bit of follow up.

John.

G'day Johnnyb,

THAT amount sounds more like Stamp Duty on the mortgage. If there isn't a separate "Stamp Duty" entry, maybe the name has changed.......

Regards,

Les said:
G'day Johnnyb,

THAT amount sounds more like Stamp Duty on the mortgage. If there isn't a separate "Stamp Duty" entry, maybe the name has changed.......

Regards,

I spoke to my mortgage broker who queried the bank. Apparently the extra cost was to verify and register the trust deed (I purchased the property through a trust). This wasn't itemised on the original schedule, which is a bit annoying, but the person putting together the documents probably didn't notice a trust was involved.

Thanks again for your help.

John.

Whew, Johnnyb,

That's over TWICE what I paid for a "Trust Deed Perusal" (which I assume is the same thing - this was NAB).

Things don't change - costs come out of the woodwork when purchasing a property....

Regards,

BigRob said:
Different States charge different amounts for mortgage registration fees. Some will use a sliding scale depending on the amount of the mortgage. I believe in Queensland, it would be around $728 for a $500,000 mortgage. The other States for the same mortgage would be as follows:

NSW: $58
VIC: $1,320
SA: $2,315
WA: $160
NT: $90
ACT: $148
TAS: $132.60

The average for a $500,000 loan is $618.95.

Any good Mortgage Adviser would have informed you of this cost.

My figures may be a little off as I don't check the States I don't use often until I need them but these were correct last time I checked.

$75.00 in NSW now

Simon H :eek:

Back