What are the "blue chip" suburbs in Brisbane?

OK "2nd tier" blue chip suburbs are more like what everyone is quoting you.

Graceville; Chelmer; Brookfield; Anstead; Ashgrove.......and the list goes on..................
$550k, in these suburbs? Not likely unless it's a renovator.

Great post. Can I buy a respectable 3 bedroom house for $550k in any of these blue chip areas in a "blue chip" street if that makes sense and what would my expected rental be? If not, what "2nd tier" blue chip suburbs should I be looking at at this price range? Thanks.
The way to go would be to look at the areas that are close to the "Blue-Chip"burbs,you wont buy into West-End for 550k,nor Highgate Hill,but go
out a few klm's,Dutton Park-Annerley-you may still buy below 500k,one of the best CG we ever bought was at Tarragindi,4121,paided 89k in 1990,913sqm block city views,on the Hill,and the 1954 fibro 4 bedroom hardwood framed house has been pumping in the money year in year
out,it's never been vacant,that's i would be looking for the sl;eeper areas next too the upmarket small pockets,after all most of those small so called blue chip areas may only have 4-6 street where the real high end values are the rest are just smoke and mirrors..imho..willair..http://abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/8731.0

.....most of those small so called blue chip areas may only have 4-6 street where the real high end values are the rest are just smoke and mirrors..imho..willair..http://abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/8731.0

I agree with willair's post and this bit particularly is so true. One of the best pockets in Coorparoo with multi-million dollar houses has the major "money" street running straight into a housing commission street. I believe this is true of even the most "blue chip" areas..... great pockets surrounded by lesser value areas, and those are the ones that could be the ones to buy.

I know that certain areas in my suburb are changing week to week, from housing commission to upmarket as new "mansions" are being built where once people were just not interested in buying. The street scapes are changing.... quickly.

It's funny you mentioned these suburbs without mentioning Chelmer (on the 'good' side of the tracks!).

I knew I was missing a suburb that also started with "C" but at the time couldn't remember it for the life of me. I always remember Chelmer or Corinda but never could get around to remembering the names of both at the same time.

OK "2nd tier" blue chip suburbs are more like what everyone is quoting you.

Graceville; Chelmer; Brookfield; Anstead; Ashgrove.......and the list goes on..................
$550k, in these suburbs? Not likely unless it's a renovator.

Chelmer, Graceville.

Laurel Avenue, Chelmer is noted as one of Brisbane's "best" streets.
Marg

I agree.

Brisbane is kind of split in its blue chip, and it certainly isn't as good as Melbourne or Sydney blue chip.

In the west and nor west,

Indooroopilly (close to the river)
St Lucia but there's lots of unrenovated student houses in the area, and lots of Uni of Qld traffic rat running.
Chelmer, Corinda, Graceville, Sherwood
Fig Tree Pocket, Kenmore Hills
Brookfield, Pullenvale
Bardon, Paddington, Rosalie, Ashgrove
Parts of Toowong and Taringa are nice, but they are increasingly peppered with apartments.

In the north,
Ascot probably has the most expensive median in Brisbane, and would be Brissie's Toorak.
neighboring Clayfield and Hamilton
Wilston
New Farm is probably Brissie's South Yarra
pockets of Bridgeman Downs

In the south,
ask a south sider :)
but I like
Balmoral, Hawthorne, Bulimba
Yeronga near the river
Cleveland
Manly
parts of Cooparoo , Tarragindi
West End is grundgey still but is a very strategic location.

Don't forget Brookwater. It's technically in Ipswich (Cleveland, Manly are in Redland Shire), but it's definitely blue chip.

I think Brisbane's only true blue chip suburbs would be Ascot, Hamilton and Clayfield. The other suburbs certainly have pockets of blue chip, but they aren't comparable to Brisbane's big three.

Over many decades these three suburbs have always held the highest median prices and highest incomes etc. The huge properties up on Hamilton Hill and the century-old Queenslanders and european styled mansions scattered throughout Ascot and Clayfield can't be touched by anything else in Brisbane.

As for Brookfield, yes there are some nice new houses around the golf course, but it's not even close to blue chip.

Brookwater you say!
Do you really think it's a standout given it's location and local services?

(Not calling you out, just asking from the perspective of someone who is from vic and living in WA.)

Brookwater you say!
Do you really think it's a standout given it's location and local services?

(Not calling you out, just asking from the perspective of someone who is from vic and living in WA.)

Definitely, when you look at the surrounding suburbs. :)

The way to go would be to look at the areas that are close to the "Blue-Chip"burbs,you wont buy into West-End for 550k,nor Highgate Hill,but go
out a few klm's,Dutton Park-Annerley-you may still buy below 500k

Willair
How are prices in Brissy atm?
I've heard that the market is quiet so this should make vendors more negotiable?

You know BV, you'd think that you'd be correct with that assumption about vendors being more negotiable, but that's certainly NOT my observation at the moment.

Seems what's happening is that vendors are holding out for the big $$$ and just changing agents in the hope of achieving that.

Maybe soon the prices will stall/fall or at least become negotiable.

Others opinions?

I think Brisbane's only true blue chip suburbs would be Ascot, Hamilton and Clayfield. The other suburbs certainly have pockets of blue chip, but they aren't comparable to Brisbane's big three.

I agree with this.

The thing to realise in Brisbane as said above is some suburbs have blue chip pockets. In some cases, it's blue chip streets. City views generally give a street the blue chip tag.

The market has certainly softened but good houses (sensibly priced) are still selling quickly. The rest are sitting on the market for quite a while.

Back