What are you grateful for?

This image shows Maslow's hierarchy of needs, represented as a pyramid with the more basic needs at the bottom.
Maslow's hierarchy of needs

You can kind of rank anything in life based on above pyramid. I would rank Australia well against those measures.

Getting back to the OP, I'm grateful to 'Australia' giving me the opportunity in life 20 years ago. I came here with year 12 education, one suitcase of books & one suitcase of cloths.

Attachments

• MaslowsHierarchyOfNeeds.png
    MaslowsHierarchyOfNeeds.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
BV,
Does hiring casuals protect the employer from paying for this type of holiday?
Your employees are considered casual, right?
no, I have only one who part time now. He works overtime to fill in the rest of the hours required.

Costs me more, but also allows me to pay less if the bottom falls out, and there is less in terms of sick leave, holiday pay, etc.

I do get your point but surely it can't be both?

If your staff are casuals you won't have to pay them to not be there on a public holiday. If they're full timers do you have to pay a loading on a public holiday?
Yes; if your staff are casuals, you don't have to pay them if they don't work on public hols.

If they are full-time, you have to pay them normal hours even though the shop is closed, or they get a penalty rate of time and a half if they have to work.

If you want to open on public holidays it can only be with overtime pay. The staff that get paid normal loading are paid to have a day off!

Overseas staff work harder - and they train themselves until they are confident!
Australians sit there, do nothing and say "no one showed me yet how to do this"

In 40 years time - they complain that they are still not paid enough and they don't have enough to live off - no one showed them that real estate and other investments were one tenth of the price when they were younger!

Dependence on others is a poverty trap!

True but we can't be too judgmental. It's a negative loop. If you're born in a less privileged family and grow up in less privileged circumstances, chances are no one is going to teach you that stuff. It's called the starting line. You start 500m behind people in the same marathon race.

Australia is too broad of a place to compare against. Sydney is different than living in Adelaide for example or Alice Springs. If I threw you in one of Sydney?s most dangerous suburbs where you could get stabbed or murdered in the park, would you still badge it as Australia or the local district?

You are comparing Australia from a western view of life and the fact you grew up here gives a bias view. I am assuming you grew up here and I?m sure you know the saying ?there?s no place like home?.

While I respect your view that Australia is the best place to live in, that comment is your view. Others might think differently depending on their agenda in life and their cultural needs.
If you were not aware, most people in their happy life back in their own country thinks their city is the best in the world; that is fine and it is not a crime.

Yes, culturally Europe has much more to offer. I was born in Melbourne. I never really liked it. I love Canberra. I love Sydney to visit, but wouldn't live there. I love Perth, which I think is similar to Canberra. I like Adelaide; I like Hobart; I like Brisbane, Townsville and Cairns--all quite liveable and all places I;ve spent time in for work. I love Cape York, Bamaga, Thursday Island and the people up there. I have lived overseas for more than a year--Italy in my early 20s. I loved it, but know how hard it would be to make any headway in terms of savings and home ownership. My parents were Italian migrants. They have had it tough in some respects. I grew up with stories of WWII, the partisans, the Germans, the Americans and the fascists. My parents were right in the line of the Germans coming down through the Alps and then retreating and running from the Americans with the Americans following them. My grandfather's house was used as a holding cell by the Germans who would take the town's men as prisoners and kill them one by one until information was given about the partisans. My other grandfather's house was constantly raided by the Germans frightened he was a partisan (a rebel). He saved partisans who came his way and Americans. My parents saw a lot of dead bodies. My grandfather lost everything (a large farm with lots of cattle) with hyperinflation when Mussolini came to power. He was left with a family of nine to feed and nothing to feed them with. My uncle suffered with severe PTSD after the Germans put him in prison ready to hang him. They then got orders to evacuate because the Americans were coming and my uncle wasn't hanged. My grandmother and uncle were collected to be sent to a concentration camp. THey came back thankfully. I have good friends in Italy. They have struggled the last few years because of the economic situation. I think Australia has relatively little government corruption. We have had no wars. We have had a stable government. We have liberty and freedom. I am grateful for those things.

True but we can't be too judgmental. It's a negative loop. If you're born in a less privileged family and grow up in less privileged circumstances, chances are no one is going to teach you that stuff. It's called the starting line. You start 500m behind people in the same marathon race.
It's an interesting mindset;

and I don't totally agree. Anyone has the freedom to to educate themselves, to not be one of the herd - to change their surroundings (eventually) - kids of course are mostly trapped in their surroundings with their parents until their teen years.

I'll use golf as an example of folks who start behind the starting line - you could apply lots of different sports to this.

As an older Aus male, I have played many sports over my life, and 4 of them at a fairly high level - golf of course being my profession for 3 decades (I've played the game for 4 decades now).

In golf particularly - as a Teacher and Coach, I have had many hundreds of young kids and teenagers (and adults) come through my classes and also as my employees.

Some of these kids were privileged and talented. Many were neither, some were one or the other.

The ones who always became the best were the ones who were the most dedicated, the hardest workers and the ones with the willing and winning attitude...not the ones with all the talent and privilege (those at the "starting line" or in front of it).

Lots of the talented and privileged students/employees were a bit lacking in these areas, and eventually fell by the wayside.

I often used to hear my pupils say to me; "I'd love to be able to play like you do".

My answer was always the same; "You can; you only need to put in about 4 hours practice a day for a few years".

Apply this to anything in life, really.

Last edited:

I agree totally its called social disadvantage

Apply this to anything in life, really.

But different starting lines are around all of us. Despite how people like to paint this as an egalitarian society, the learning curve for me to learn about say mining is going to be a lot steeper than for a Hancock or Forrest.

That's not to say I can't acquire the same amount of knowledge, but it's harder.

Same with property.

Yes, culturally Europe has much more to offer. I was born in Melbourne. I never really liked it. I love Canberra. I love Sydney to visit, but wouldn't live there. I love Perth, which I think is similar to Canberra. I like Adelaide; I like Hobart; I like Brisbane, Townsville and Cairns--all quite liveable and all places I;ve spent time in for work. I love Cape York, Bamaga, Thursday Island and the people up there. I have lived overseas for more than a year--Italy in my early 20s. I loved it, but know how hard it would be to make any headway in terms of savings and home ownership. My parents were Italian migrants. They have had it tough in some respects. I grew up with stories of WWII, the partisans, the Germans, the Americans and the fascists. My parents were right in the line of the Germans coming down through the Alps and then retreating and running from the Americans with the Americans following them. My grandfather's house was used as a holding cell by the Germans who would take the town's men as prisoners and kill them one by one until information was given about the partisans. My other grandfather's house was constantly raided by the Germans frightened he was a partisan (a rebel). He saved partisans who came his way and Americans. My parents saw a lot of dead bodies. My grandfather lost everything (a large farm with lots of cattle) with hyperinflation when Mussolini came to power. He was left with a family of nine to feed and nothing to feed them with. My uncle suffered with severe PTSD after the Germans put him in prison ready to hang him. They then got orders to evacuate because the Americans were coming and my uncle wasn't hanged. My grandmother and uncle were collected to be sent to a concentration camp. THey came back thankfully. I have good friends in Italy. They have struggled the last few years because of the economic situation. I think Australia has relatively little government corruption. We have had no wars. We have had a stable government. We have liberty and freedom. I am grateful for those things.

key_enter_1-opt.jpg

lol, yes, I know--no paras. Will put some in now just for you:

Yes, culturally Europe has much more to offer. I was born in Melbourne. I never really liked it. I love Canberra. I love Sydney to visit, but wouldn't live there. I love Perth, which I think is similar to Canberra. I like Adelaide; I like Hobart; I like Brisbane, Townsville and Cairns--all quite liveable and all places I;ve spent time in for work. I love Cape York, Bamaga, Thursday Island and the people up there.

I have lived overseas for more than a year--Italy in my early 20s. I loved it, but know how hard it would be to make any headway in terms of savings and home ownership.

My parents were Italian migrants. They have had it tough in some respects. I grew up with stories of WWII, the partisans, the Germans, the Americans and the fascists. My parents were right in the line of the Germans coming down through the Alps and then retreating and running from the Americans with the Americans following them. My grandfather's house was used as a holding cell by the Germans who would take the town's men as prisoners and kill them one by one until information was given about the partisans. My other grandfather's house was constantly raided by the Germans frightened he was a partisan (a rebel). He saved partisans who came his way and Americans.

My parents saw a lot of dead bodies. My grandfather lost everything (a large farm with lots of cattle) with hyperinflation when Mussolini came to power. He was left with a family of nine to feed and nothing to feed them with. My uncle suffered with severe PTSD after the Germans put him in prison ready to hang him. They then got orders to evacuate because the Americans were coming and my uncle wasn't hanged. My grandmother and uncle were collected to be sent to a concentration camp. THey came back thankfully.

I have good friends in Italy. They have struggled the last few years because of the economic situation.

I think Australia has relatively little government corruption. We have had no wars. We have had a stable government. We have liberty and freedom. I am grateful for those things.

On reflection I am grateful that my Dad returned to his home town on the Mid North Coast NSW after serving in WW2. He could easily of been swayed to pursue a career in Sydney but chose instead to return home and work and study to go onto become an accountant in a regional / coastal area.
His influence in my success can never be overstated.

Have you lived in another country before?
People say we are so lucky to be living here, but I question how many of these people have actually lived in another country or know about how beautiful other countries are apart from hearing the negatives in media. Have you heard of the term "nanny state" which is what people call Australia?

Out of all the people I ask from around the world who have migrated here over the past 10 years, they tell me that it's employment that is what attracted them to the country. They tell me it's a lot easier to get a job on ok to decent salary and there isn't too much competition.

As for myself, I am not sure what I am grateful for; we grow up to learn and be a stronger person in life to them grow old, fragile and die. The meaning to life, I don't know. We are just an organic living matter that multiples.

I have to disagree, isn't the statistic in Australian that about 50% in Sydney are born outside of Australia? SO I would say most have come from outside and lived elsewhere, look how diversified we are.
I am so grateful for this land of opportunity, with freedom of speech, I think it is the best country in the world to live in!
Beauty in itself is not sufficient if you cannot provide food on the table, or are unsafe to live in your surroundings, or cannot own what you worked for, or are unable to get decent access to health and medication, or cannot access work easily, or cannot express freely your views, so many other issues that are prevalent in this world, but not in Australia.
I keep telling our kids this is the best place to live!
And I think we should be grateful for all that is given to us, wether good or bad, and as long as we can grow and give back than life is wonderful!

I have a problem though about the maid who comes in once a week to clean the house and to do the laundry- included with the rent. I have to pay her for ironing.

Damn. I just got the bill from the maid.

$4 for two weeks of ironing :-(

Back