What are your best hunting techniques ?

Hi people.
I'm finding places like reaestate.com and domain are missing the little gems sometimes and I've missed a couple of real rippers lately .
And then with the net expanding everyday there's smaller sites popping up all over the place with just a couple on them but often private sellers and it's starting to look impossible to cover all of them.
If your really on the hunt I'm just wondering how every one is going about it these days and what's giving them the best results and coverage ?

Cheers

hi
couple of things
first the net was designed as a mass market coverage system.
it was aimed at giving lots of info to the masses and with that came ease of using it. its for information only really
what you are trying to do is use it to find what I call diamonds
now for me this is impossible to do.
why because its a mass market and that means masses see it
if you had a diamond on george street cbd sydney and I put it down with millions walk past it do you really think it would stay there a week waiting for me to walk passed to pick it up answer
no
so why would you think it would site on a web site for week for you to pick it up
it won't
why because it won't get onto the website
it would be picked up before it even get6s there
just like the diamond on george street.
it was there but its gone
there is only one way for me
the old fashioned way
to find diamonds you need to go prospecting
with a shuvel in hand or in this case newspaper and go and have a look.
yes use the net to evaluate an area.
but boot or trainers walking around is the only way to find diamonds.
also talking with real estates is a good way.
but the net is just to slow.
by the time it gets on there and you know its there
so do 3 million of others.
and if its a good deal you now have competion.
three things I like
one find the deal
two win the deal
three having coffee and seating the deal.
and the net for me is information only and its more for checking an area and gaining all the background info.
but thats me

I'm happy to share this tip with other members here:

When Searching on realEstate.com there is a bug in the system ( as well as many others) so a lot of properties listed are not always shown in the search results. You can get around this by searching by suburb only. ;)

Domain.com.au is actually a far better website with a lot more features although it's a little annoying you have to login each time.

Keep in mind this thread
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57390

As GR says, and I keep posting, you gotta get out and talk to people.
Find out who the people to talk to are, what's going on, which agents know and which don't.
The whole notion that personal relationships are dead because we now have the internet is silly & ridiculous. they are even more important.
And that all the info about an IP is posted on an RE site is even more silly.
Of course I don't mind if that's what people think, it works to my advantage.

I'm just watching re.com.au at the moment, fingers crossed something cheap enough to afford and decent enough that the other half will even contemplate it comes up. I've registered what I want with a couple agents but they are slack so I don't expect them to tell me if what I want gets listed.

When we are in a position to sell our current house - looking like February at the moment - I'll probably put some ads up in the local area offering to swap our smaller, renovated 3br cottage for a larger, unrenovated 4br one. Or sell it and put up ads begging for a rental at some obscene amount per week (rents here are way too high) so we can rent for a bit while we build. Ads up in on the community noticeboards really do work.

Best hunting techniques you say?

Miller-Classic-Rifle-7-1-05-01Copy-750409.jpg

And that's just for the REA's

Cheers guys , great stuff .

I've always loved RE windows myself . The problem is from where I now live they're scattered into a 100k radius , hence being reduced to the internet . Ahh , and then ya get lazy , and tight about fuel , and then it becomes any excuse you can think of because it's all so cheap and easy sitting on your ar?e instead.

I must start undoing my bad habits and getting out there again.
Here's to more diamonds eh GR.

Cheers

An agent once said to me, Throw enough ***** at the wall and eventually something will stick.

Its the activity that gets the results + the decision making process once you have found the target.

You dont look at the deer your trying to shoot and decide how your going to do it, because the deer will run away while your playing around, you aim shoot and hit. If you get the target, you take your pickup truck around and pick up the deer, before another animal comes around and steals you hard work.

You have decided your going to take the target before you shot the deer because you have taken the day off to go hunting and committedto it.

Thats the main reason deals slip through most the time.

Goodluck, it can be tedious at time, however there is lunch out there to be found.

Inernet is good for research, however dealing with agents direct especially in this market is imperative as internet can be too late in many circumstances.

hi
they are there
and they are not where you think they are.
they are not on the surface either you have to dig to find them
scratching the surface just tells you to dig harder.
the main thing is to go and do it
not to sit there and think now how do I do this and that.
because getting up and doing it never comes.
oh and if you ask 10 people if you should do it.
you will get 8 saying no
why
because they are sat there asking should I do this or that
and 8 people have told them not to either.
you will find 8 people at anything telling you
why you should not
could not
will not
or do not do anything
well listen to the 2
they say you should
you will
you could
and get up and do
thats the difference
the successfull people say and do what they say and do
not try to find ways not to.
to find a diamond you have to look very hard.
and they don't come thru a screen on the net.
to find a diamond you need to know what you want
and find away of getting it.
yes the net is helpfull for info
but the best way to find a diamond is to have the right mind set.
and from there you will find what you want.
its simply to do with how or what you have in your head and using this grey matter to find what you want.

Hi Guys,

I registered my name with almost 50 Real Estate Agents Syd West, North, East and Inner however no one really call me and say they have something to check out before they list them on the net.

What most of you agreed is that to find a good deal i should go to the surburb i like to drive around and hopefully see something that someone else have not seen. My questions is by driving around how do you know which one is for sale? if by looking at sales signage wouldn't that be too late as most poeple have already seen it?

My understanding is to find a good deal i need to be around the right people? which is very hard for most of us..

I would like to re post this, because it applies to my hunting technique, which could be perhaps more accurately called ratting.:)

It is a post of gold from a person talking about finding your own diamonds:

hi
they are there

scratching the surface just tells you to dig harder

you will get 8 saying no
why
why you should not
could not
will not
or do not do anything
well listen to the 2
they say you should
you will
you could
and get up and do
thats the difference

not try to find ways not to

its simply to do with how or what you have in your head and using this grey matter to find what you want.

That is what I have done, and done it my way for my needs and wants, which are not everyone elses, but there you are.:)

Apology for tinkering and coloring, but the post was my art of investing.

Great post Grossreal.

I'm happy to share this tip with other members here:

When Searching on realEstate.com there is a bug in the system ( as well as many others) so a lot of properties listed are not always shown in the search results. You can get around this by searching by suburb only. ;)

Domain.com.au is actually a far better website with a lot more features although it's a little annoying you have to login each time.

Yeah I really liked Domain and found they often had one off's others missed. The problem now for me is that since they've started including Google aerial views at the bottom it's too slow from my area, drives me nuts now.

So it makes a difference if you sign up does it , must try it.

Cheers

Our situation went from RS and 2 ips only 6 mths ago , to two more with future extras built in and have just discovered that by mixing it up, we can do another cheapy right now due to my wifes changing work scenario.
Another diamond at this exact point will totally change our situation yet again and actually be the best move we could make , weird , so I need a diamond.
Yesterday I began turning over my new leaf . I had a trip to do and read 9 or 10 windows, also went side tracking and , came home with one private sale and ph no ' and by dropping in on another place from a few mths ago , wound up talking to the neighbour and there's a 150k price drop coming up right now on that property.
This place was 420 odd but , the owner died , in the hall last week . He lived on his own and now , the family all shook up of course , live down in Melbourne and told the neighbour they want the place gone and are dropping to 270 next week , how's that for a bit of gos !
This wasn't investment, we can't spend that on IP's but one we were looking at for ourselves.
Not too crazy about it now though , touch creepy. My wife reckons ahh don't worry about it, she's a nurse and has to wheel them out daily.
Still , a good result for one day out amongst it.

Anyway you've all inspired me and reminded me of what a slackar?e we can become. I use to do all this stuff all the time and it always payed, back to old school.

Cheers

Last edited:
hi
they are there
scratching the surface just tells you to dig harder.
you will get 8 saying no
why
why you should not
could not
will not
or do not do anything
well listen to the 2
they say you should
you will
you could
and get up and do
thats the difference
not try to find ways not to.

How true.
That use to be a very frustrating thing, people don't get alternative thinkers , I gave up along time ago . Now I come to places like this instead , it ain't worth the grief !

Great advice , thanks GR.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back