What can/cant you go without?

Just wondering what items/hobbies and such fellow SSers can and cant go without when it comes to property investing. Everyone has a vice, some nice dinners or holidays, others cars.

This is more aimed at those starting out in the game, or when they were starting out in the game.

For me, i think its my car. It wasnt a huge amount when purchased, but it was another deposit on an I, and the petrol alone per week is easily a heavily negatively geared property :p

Can:

-Almost anything, which is really sad in a way that I find so little in life that gets me excited lol. Holidays, cars, new clothes...hell I'm still driving my 15 year old car and I will literally drive this for another 10 years if it can last that long. People would probably shake their head if they knew how much money I made but I don't care, priorities!!!

Can't:

-Eating well. And going out to eat at moderately fancy restaurants at least 2-3 times a week. I love my food (and in case you're wondering I'm not overweight!).

I have a lot of can't do without
- Coffee
- Eating out 2-3 times a week (but I cook the rest)
- Holiday 1-2 times a year, one small one slightly biggie
- Massage!

Probably can do without
- Yoga class once a week, but this is good for my back pain
- Swimming twice a week, but I like it!
- Magazine subs. Gotta get ipad for electronic version.

Definitely can do without:
- New clothes, shoes and any new fashion items.

During the working week I've cut most things out. I've cut McDonalds coffee, takeaway lunches and snacks, my own home cooking, online shopping, books and magazines just to name a few. I realised I can easily find alternatives such as home brand coffee, packed tuna and bread for lunches, eat at mums, borrowing from library etc to save a buck. This is the easy part.

The hard part is that on weekends or after work because I don't want to become a compete hermit with no life just to save. Family and friends want to go out and that involves spending on dinners, movies, activities etc which I just cant avoid for too long.

Can:

-Almost anything, which is really sad in a way that I find so little in life that gets me excited lol. Holidays, cars, new clothes...hell I'm still driving my 15 year old car and I will literally drive this for another 10 years if it can last that long. People would probably shake their head if they knew how much money I made but I don't care, priorities!!!

Can't:

-Eating well. And going out to eat at moderately fancy restaurants at least 2-3 times a week. I love my food (and in case you're wondering I'm not overweight!).

Same lol. Good food is so fundamental for enjoying life for me.

Can't

- Coffee
- Exercise
- Basketball
- Nice wine and beer
- Travel

In no particular order....oh and kids and wife of course :)

Cheers

Jamie

can't
-internet
-tv
-food

can
-full priced video rentals
-foxtel (which I don't have)
-the lastest car
-full priced movies
-eating out

I have been borrowing blu-rays from my local public library which is conveniently located very close to where I work.

can't:
shiraz
family
challenges (be they profitable or not)
pets

can
coffee (thought I couldn't but on febfast so I can!!)
loud people who don't listen
violence
Facebook twitter etc etc etc

Annual holiday - to gain some sanity.

otherwise earning accumulating etc means not very much

coz you never know when you might go.

Sorry for the double up on this post but it is really appropriate !

So we are embarking on a plan to live it up now rather than later.

Too many deaths and critical sicknesses lately in our bunch.

Life sucks at times.

But then it can be exactly the opposite.

So hard to live life to the full when everything else around sucks big time.:confused:

Practiced 'Delayed Gratification' to start!

Can't:
- Without my family and basic necessities in life (needs not wants)

Can:
- Anything materialistic. Basically, denied ourselves most things to save for the first deposit. For example:
- Had one car and shared it to travel to work
- Lived with parents for 2 years so not to pay rent and save for a deposit
- Took lunches/water to work, never purchased outside
- Did not holiday anywhere
- Did not spend on anything much (clothes, restaurants, holidays, etc...)
- Lived in not our desired location
- Delayed starting a family
- Had very inexpensive wedding (with no honeymoon - it was back to UNI for me)
I could go on and on......

Basically, I can say we really truly practiced 'delayed gratification'.

I must say now, life has changed so much, and we spend on so many things we didn't before, so I wouldn't even go there!
I believe that if you want something so bad than you will forgo most of these things, so I think most who started would tell you they made sacrifices (something for something)

Can't go without a foxtel subscription during the footy season, I NEED fox footy!!!

Can go without annual overseas holidays by driving to a local destination and pitching a tent!

Back