What can I claim on a granny flat?

If I am constructing a granny flat (bedroom, bathroom, lounge, diningroom, kitchen) on the lower level of PPOR, can I claim any of the costs or depreciate the costs for tax purposes?

The construction has been with the intention of renting it out, so i figured I should at least be able to depreciate some of it to offset the income from rent.

Thx

Cam

Well, i don't see why not...it's an investment. I wonder do you need to consider what portion of the land value will this apply to your PPOR ? do you need to apportion that too to get real value of the granny flat ?

cheers
Bubbles

4GH1RH said:
If I am constructing a granny flat (bedroom, bathroom, lounge, diningroom, kitchen) on the lower level of PPOR, can I claim any of the costs or depreciate the costs for tax purposes?

The construction has been with the intention of renting it out, so i figured I should at least be able to depreciate some of it to offset the income from rent.

Thx

Cam

Cam, its a double edged sword.. claiming any of the depreciation etc will result in a partial loss of your PPOR CGT exemption when/if you sell.

You just need to run the numbers to work out what you're happier with.. the tax benefits now, or the tax benefits later.

You could just rent the granny flat out for cash and not tell anyone anything ;) . I bet it would be postive cash flow and geared.

Back