What car do you drive?

As the title says,

its interesting to see how people view vehicles, whether utility or toy, or anything in between. So what do you drive, why do you drive it, how do you view vehicles?

Me? I've just got myself a new toy for now. Sold my 1000 ute and have picked up a '74 Mini Clubman S for a steal. Piccies:

sdc11748.jpg

Kudos to the person who can guess the price I picked her up for. (Original motor, 31k on odo, original paintjob, new suspension, electric dizzy for those into this kind of thing ;))

I love the classics, and while I try to use cars as a utility, I can't go past picking up something unique/special. The one thing I am finicky about cars however is they have to be efficient. If they use more than a reasonable amount of petrol I'll keep walking. The exception being a HQ Monaro. :)

So how about you all, new or old? Generic or one of the kind? A to B or anything in between?

I drive a classic shape Subaru WRX (MY99) and ride a Suzuki V-Strom.

The car will go hopefully be replaced with a practical hatchback sometime this year.

I used to love cars and go out driving for pleasure, but now they are more of a point A to point B thing for me, so there is no point paying through the roof on insurance and petrol any longer.

a 2Y, 4spd 1988 2WD hilux with 6ft tray and single cab. first of the base model RNs - awesome car.

i get 10l/100k out of it, need to put a carby kit thru it - i only check the oil and coolant every 6 months and put about a cup in.

AC needs a re-gas ($250 converstion to R134a but i should be able to use R122 as it's technically a commercial vehicle) and it is lowered at the rear to stop it waving around on the freeway at 100kph.

i do business trips in the 2005 turbo diesel 7 seat pathfinder, and the wife uses it every now and then for shopping - but i do all the school drop offs so she rarely drives it - and the KMs prove it - bout at 72000 which was WAY over average and it's only just gone 125000 which is way under average, now.

Mercedes Benz 4WD for long trips and a Jaguar for city driving, the latter being less reliable than the former.

But the Benz 4WD is a showpony and cannot remotely compare with Landcruisers or Hiluxes, both very reliable vehicles, almost indestructible.

So what do you drive, why do you drive it, how do you view vehicles?

2010 Toyota Landcruiser 60th Anniversary model, we like 4WDriving and this particular model has some features which are great for towing an off road caravan.

I view our vehicle as something to use to get us around on and off the beaten track, river crossing, recover a landcruiser ute from a boggy paddock etc.

We only have one vehicle and two pushbikes. ;)

Kind Regards
Sheryn

1992 diesel toyota hiace long wheel base van with a subwoofah :D

(cars mean nothing to me. So long as they have aircon, don't blow up frequently, and do the job that I want them to do, then they're fine)

1998 SLK200 Merc.

In the market for an older ute however.

Drove a early 80's BMW 318is over the weekend. 125kw manual. Loved it. It was purchased by a friend for $2k

Last edited:
2000 corolla. My first and only car. White, boring, no cowskin seat covers or fluffy dice.

Its great, but its too small for 3 kids (2 car seats) in the back, its pretty squeezy back there even with two 'compact' seats. We're currently doing extremely half-as$ed research on getting a bigger, better car. If we had the money lying around and couldn't physically fit 3 kids back there we would have bought a new one by now.

We're planning to delay buying a new car for as long as possible. Have to either sell a house or save the $$ first. Going to keep the old one as a second car and give it to kid A when she's 16 as a runabout.

Depending on how things go, we'll either get a dual cab hilux or a subaru of some kind, we go offroad fairly often and the corolla doesn't handle that very well. Some fool (not me, honest :eek: ) decided to advertise that we'll come to you to fix computers and a surprising amount of the population round here lives down dirt roads on farms.

2008 Toyota Corolla Hatchback Auto 2nd hand.

Reliable, loads of space, auto, cheap to maintain, cheapish to run.

Previous car was a 1998 Toyota Corolla sedan and sold with 180k on the clock - never had a problem with it.

A car is purely a means to an end for me. On average I hold them for around 10 years each

Last edited:
We have a Lancer wagon at the moment, But are going to upgrade to a Kia Grand Carnival very shortly - we need an extra seat for the new baby, and this car has the most room of any 7/8 seater in its price range. We buy new, because it works out better for us with the salary packaging. The Kia will be our car for at least the next 5 years (length of time it is salary packaged) but quite likely another 5 or 10 years after that, provided there are no problems with it.

Cars to me are all about getting me and the tribe (including the two dogs) and all the crap that accompanies those things, from A to B. It has to be practical, otherwise I see no point in it.

2009 Falcon XR6 Turbo (no such thing as Global Warming here) for me and a Mazda 6 Wagon for the wife and kids....

2003 Proton Satria GTi, purchased brand new, and although many people have never heard about this (Malaysian) manufacturer let alone know what a Proton is, when they see me step out of the car they all agree it's a nice looking little thing. Oh and the car ain't bad either!!! :p

Hubby drives a 2007 SS Commodore (no image necessary, I think most will know what they look like) :D

Last edited:
For me it's a 1990 holden barina for the weekday and a 1991 Toyota surf for the weekend for various activities. My husband drives a 1985 Toyota camry that we bought off my grandma after my grandfather passed away.

We're still is the delayed gratification of our investing journey so what we have will do us for the time being - or atleast until my car chokes its last breath which I don't think will be too far away.

Back