What Caveat should I put on property if any?

I live I a street in WA and have ocean views from my block title says ocean glimpse. We are situated on a hill when looking at the front of the property from the rear the block slopes from left to right down wards. In the back yard rear right corner the natural height is approx 1.5m above above slab height. This gives us a fantastic ocean view from our 5m x 6m alfresco up there with additional 12sq of patio area. This amazing view is gained from looking over the single story roof of the property next door!

We have lived here for approx 5 years and have only just finished renos at great cost, our neighbours have said they may consider moving this summer, there property is an original 1980s house.
My concern is that someone will buy the property build up and take all our views away from alfresco and patio area, someone said I should put a Caveat on there property?
Should I do this and what type help needed please?

Just a work friend who came round and looked at my property, can I not put a caveat on to at least know if someone is planning to build up?

You can't just go and slap a caveat on someone else's property without you having an interest in the property. You need a caveatable interest - such as you contributing to the purchase of the property, family law act - e.g you are sleeping with the neighbour and have been for 12 months +?

Buy the neighbours house when they sell it is about your best bet. Unless you can somehow buy 'air rights' to protect the area above their property.

Unless there is a restrictive covenant on the neighbours land title, or the council development restricts height to a reasonable level, not much you can do to protect "your" views

sold a place a while back that had some ocean glimpses, had an undeveloped block next to it. I didn't think the owners would ever build on it but soon after I sold up they did, massive 2 storey blocking the views, so the property lost about $200k at that time

You don't own the view so unless there are restrictions on that particular block there is nothing you can do and if there is some restriction then it's already there so it is what it is

You could start a petition but in my limited experiences, petitions aren't worth the paper they are written on and just make good chest beating and for current affairs news

You could always sell your house before the neighbors do. Profit from your hard work and buy somewhere else.

There may also be scope to fight a future development via a council objection, but I suspect unless there is already a fairly clear height restriction in place, this isn't going to work.

Last edited:
Buy the neighbours house when they sell it is about your best bet. Unless you can somehow buy 'air rights' to protect the area above their property.

I agree, buying the house yourself would be the only real option to guarantee the view remains long term and if its going to knock say 100k off the value of your place if the view is built out it may not be such a bad idea, only problem would be the neighbour would know why you want the house and try use that to push the price up.

I know a bit eccentric wealthy family who have done just that. They live on the side of a hill with great views. Bought up their neighbours houses to ensure they don't lose their views.

Their last purchase was a neighbour who was complaining about the noise from their, lets see, ~ 8 split system ACs.

Back