what dishwasher not to buy

My old faithful F&P died about two weeks ago - after long and honourable service of 14 years+. Looked at all brands - didn't like the new F&Ps. Had almost decided on an AEG, when I called into the Kleenmaid store on the way home......

Yesterday, the Kleenmaid was installed - way too early to recommend it, of course, but I am very impressed. Extremely quiet, and does a much better job than ol' faithful, but the thing I like most is that when the cutlery baskets are removed, everything else folds down flat - can take a big load of pots & pans, all my large platters and bowls, etc. I'm in heaven!!!!!

Cheers
LynnH

Family dishwasher

I seem to be the family dishwasher most of the time - Alas I am an old model and I am hoping that my wife won't trade me in even though she has threatened to upgrade to a younger more appealing model....

but seriously, I have had an ASKO for quite a while now and I love it - quiet, quick, not a lot of water, never stuff left on the plates, cleans itself cost about $900 about 2yo. more impotantly it has a child lock fitted and it can not be turned on by little hands

Prior to that I had a MAYTAG. Same deal. moved house and and left it behind as next house had no space. only reason that I didn't have another maytag was that my friend in the dishwashing fixing game said ASKO was as good as anything and the shop had one that I could take away.

Honestly tho I would be happy with either

Just had a Bosch blow up after 4 yrs - motor burnt out due to water leaking into it - insurance paid out the same as the cost of the repair - $800 and we went and got a Miele - with a years supply !

Then.......a friend rang and guess what - their Bosch that was 6 yrs old (we bought the same model as them because they told us it was good) died as well !

The Miele seems pretty good (everything looks stronger than the Bosch) but I am confident that they are not made like the older Miele's.

The repair guy told me that they have become 4 year throw away items - doesn't really what brand you buy......

What $$ are we talking about?

I've had quotes ranging from $600 to $1200.

What is good value? Brands? Models?

Is it worth getting at (local discount) auction, especially if auction does not offer guarantee?

I would stay away from Blanco just from my own experiance. Had it repaired in warranty 3 times. Just after it ended it stuffed up again and will cost aroun $600 to repair. So time to buy a new one and was thinking about the westinghouse or asko just from friends reccomendations.

Just a note also....our Blanco oven and cooktop stuffed up a few times to and had to be both repaired. So for me...no more Blanco.

I'm over 6 foot and hate hunching over the sink so after 20 odd years of marriage and grumbling about a sore back when washing dishes, we finally bought a Westinghouse about 12 months ago, guided by the Choice article.

As soon as it was installed we noticed the ON/OFF button was not working, something that I thought would have been obvious to any quality control check.

Retailer didn't want to know, rang WH and they gave us the name of a local repairer. 4 weeks later he arrives, can't source a genuine switch??? and bodged up another to fit. Finally working but we are very tentative with that switch.

12 months on it hardly gets any use. The dishes need to be washed before they go in or the food is baked on, it's hard to rinse food off in just warm water so we end up filling the sink with d/w liquid in order to wash them before stacking :confused:.

Then... when opened in the morning everything is dripping wet. We rang the repairer and asked what was wrong and he said the new style of hidden heating coil is not very efficient and our experience is standard.

Apart from that it feels like a cheap nasty P.O.C., is noisy and seems to take longer to be bent over arranging the plates so the swing arms don't jam than it does to wash the dishes manually.

Very disappointed as it was our first one ever and now we are back to washing dishes at night rinsing and leaving them in the drainer overnight by which time they are air dried to perfection.

In it's defence (?) it did only cost about $700 so as said before, you do get what you pay for.

Cheers,
Beef

I've got a Euro at home. Haven't had any problems at the moment with it (2 yrs old) Paid about $600 to $700 for it. Not sure how reliable they are though, but it was the better ones at the price range.

Back