What do i need to know to be able to subdivide and how can i find it?

So this property im looking at has roughly 3.2m-3.3m between house and side boundary.

One says 3m is adequate when trying to attain existence of existing dwelling.

Whereas another states 3m minimum but also 0.5m each side(side boundary) meaning 4m minimum.

Conflicting information?

This is becoming quite frustrating.

Basically this property has a current carport/garage which is 3.2-3.3m wide and is attatched to a party wall between two properties. Basically all I want to do is remove the roof on my side of the property. Turn it into a driveway than put the carport/garage built behind the existing property.

Then look for potential subdivision behind that property by using the current garage/carport that im wanting to turn into a driveway.

I may be getting a building inspection for the property to see if removal of the garage roof is attainable to council requirements ect and if this can then be used for a driveway of 3m in this short period of the driveway.

Thanks for the help above
Z6

I an ideal world it is 0.5/3/0.5 . You would use this if you are starting fresh and don't have an existing house.

There is a little grey area in this. If you are retaining a house then many Council will approve perhaps a 3m wide area. Sometimes they will ask you to remove eaves if there is any on that side etc

But I would expect if you have 3.2ish they would say yes for that part of the driveway next to the house. Talk to a Town Planner at the Council and see if they have previously done it.

Great post BTW.

Looking on the DBYD website, you select a ring around the property and input what works you intend to carry out ie... Add another bedroom, car port, sub ect... and they will send you the relevant map - If you have an account?

That's correct. Generally you will receive the map in a email about 10 minutes later. It's a bloody marvellous system

BTW if you are looking in City of Swan watch out for clay soil. This can add MASSIVELY onto your site works cost.

For a triplex site around $100k more in siteworks.

I know you are going to ask 'How can I tell if there is clay there?'

The answer is, no way, definite until you do a soil test which costs around $500 but you can get a good idea if you ring Structerre and ask them if they have done any Geotechnical Reports in that street or surrounding streets. They are actually pretty good about giving out this information for free over the phone.

That's correct. Generally you will receive the map in a email about 10 minutes later. It's a bloody marvellous system

Cheers.
Just did this and they sent me 41 e-mails of the same 4 PDF's Ha.

They are all powerwater corp docs: Cover sheet with assets found, Sewer, Water & Power.

My input was "possible swimming pool to the rear"

The plans were schematic in nature & indicated the general vicinity of the infrastructure + lots of disclaimers!

Z6
To retain a building your allowed a 3m driveway which can not be closer than 0.5m to the side boundary so effectivley 3.5m. And keep in mind this is to the furtherest most part of the house ie gutters, eaves etc not the side of the house.

Green title or new development you need 4m plus 0.5m.
Hi HD_ACE

I have not come across these requirements before. Can you please let me know where to find them?

I could only find in DC 2.2 where it says:
Battleaxe lots to be provided with an access leg of 4m in width
I could not find anything about the extra 0.5m

I see your point about 3.5m where retaining a house though. In DC 2.2 it says:
strata lots to be provided with driveways of 4m width, or 3m width where necessary to retain an existing dwelling.
However, in the R-Codes it says:
C5.2 Driveways to primary or secondary street provided as follows:
- driveways serving four dwellings or less not narrower than 3m at the
street boundary;
C5.3 Driveways shall be:
- no closer than 0.5m from a side lot boundary or street pole;
Although, 5.2 does say "at the street boundary", so I guess this doesn't necessarily mean that the whole access leg needs to be 3.5 m?

Also don't forget:
C5.6 Driveways designed for multiple and grouped dwellings may be reduced to no less than 3m where it is necessary to retain an existing dwelling and a passing bay or similar is provided.
There is no mention of how this interacts with the requirement that the drive be no closer than 0.5m from a side boundary :rolleyes:

Ugh! Something else to keep in mind is that the state government approves Survey Stata and Subdivision applications under DC 1.3 and DC 2.2, so if you wanted to retain a house, the access leg down the side could be 3m.

Whereas, if you went for a DA through council, they might ask for 3.5m in the same situation? What a mess!

z611143, you are right, this is frustrating! :mad:

Hi HD_ACE

I have not come across these requirements before. Can you please let me know where to find them?

I could only find in DC 2.2 where it says:

I could not find anything about the extra 0.5m

I see your point about 3.5m where retaining a house though. In DC 2.2 it says:

However, in the R-Codes it says:

Although, 5.2 does say "at the street boundary", so I guess this doesn't necessarily mean that the whole access leg needs to be 3.5 m?

Also don't forget:

There is no mention of how this interacts with the requirement that the drive be no closer than 0.5m from a side boundary :rolleyes:

Ugh! Something else to keep in mind is that the state government approves Survey Stata and Subdivision applications under DC 1.3 and DC 2.2, so if you wanted to retain a house, the access leg down the side could be 3m.

Whereas, if you went for a DA through council, they might ask for 3.5m in the same situation? What a mess!

z611143, you are right, this is frustrating! :mad:

Which part are you refering to?

If its the .5m requirement, its in the r-codes. You quoted it in C5.3. Im assuming it applies to all driveways and not just the 3m for retaining a property.

Dial Before you Dig. You can call or you can get your own account on their website, plug in the details and it will give you a schematic for the block.

Yes agree. this is an excellent resource to utilise and the schematics are emailed to you quite fast!

Nice one WM.

Leo

3.5 m when retaining a dwelling. I have not run across that before.

If its the .5m requirement, its in the r-codes. You quoted it in C5.3. Im assuming it applies to all driveways and not just the 3m for retaining a property.
In DC 2.2 it says:
strata lots to be provided with driveways of 4m width, or 3m width where necessary to retain an existing dwelling.
I have seen survey stratas approved by the state government where the access leg is only 3 metres wide. What happens to the driveway then when it is time to develop? 2.5 metres wide with 0.5 metres of landscaping?

Also, in the same situation, if I went for a development application with council, would council expect a 3.5 metre wide access leg?

It seems like it would be better to get the survey strata first, which locks the access leg down to 3 metres, and then apply for a DA with council? :confused:

3.5 m when retaining a dwelling. I have not run across that before.

In DC 2.2 it says:

I have seen survey stratas approved by the state government where the access leg is only 3 metres wide. What happens to the driveway then when it is time to develop? 2.5 metres wide with 0.5 metres of landscaping?

Also, in the same situation, if I went for a development application with council, would council expect a 3.5 metre wide access leg?

It seems like it would be better to get the survey strata first, which locks the access leg down to 3 metres, and then apply for a DA with council? :confused:

I thinks its open for interpretation.
Because on one hand you have

C5.3
Driveways
shall be
:
?
no closer than 0.5m fr
om a side
lot boundary
or street pole
;
?
no closer than 6m t
o a street corner or the point at which a carriageway
begins to deviate

and then you have

C5.6
Driveways
designed for
multiple
and
grouped dwellings
may be reduced
to no less than 3m
where it is necessary to retain an existing
dwelling

and a
passing bay or similar is provided

maybe aaron or sanj can shed some light. I read it as a 3m driveway that cant be closer than 0.5m to the boundary so effectively 3.5m. And the same for any driveway really. But ultimately its up to council And I wouldn't expect a few 100mm to be a reason to decline the development if all other aspects are met. But you never know.

All I know is my current development, Crossovers are 6m, driveways are 4.5m and .5m away from the lot boundary. Which was the same as the driveway for the retained dwelling, but council wanted that at 5m plus .5m from the boundary.
But they are street front so I think they would be a bit more lenient for battle axe.

Ive done it 1 times. Was very quick and convenient. Hard to understand at first but nothing major came up in the property i was looking for

So does anyone interpret the above as being 3m driveway wide at a point where it means the the existing dwelling is maintained.

So does anyone interpret the above as being 3m driveway wide at a point where it means the the existing dwelling is maintained.

Yes that is my interpretation but it can come down to millimetres and is totally at the discretion of councils. They can forfeit the landscaping bit but the driveway needs to be clear. Absolutely nothing like window sills, eaves, plumbing pipes etc etc protuding into that.

All I know is my current development, Crossovers are 6m, driveways are 4.5m and .5m away from the lot boundary. Which was the same as the driveway for the retained dwelling, but council wanted that at 5m plus .5m from the boundary.
But they are street front so I think they would be a bit more lenient for battle axe.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yeah, I am looking at building behind an existing house. For your 4.5m drive, is that for a double or single garage? I think street front and battleaxe are going to have different requirements. I appreciate your time. It's really helpful to know these things.

Yes that is my interpretation but it can come down to millimetres and is totally at the discretion of councils. They can forfeit the landscaping bit but the driveway needs to be clear. Absolutely nothing like window sills, eaves, plumbing pipes etc etc protuding into that.

Into that 3 metres? Yeh okay.

Another question.

Down the road (not far down) there is a 4 villa/unit property. The front property has its own drive seperate from the the back 3 which use the same driveway?

Whats been done here? Could i do something similar?

Another question.

Down the road (not far down) there is a 4 villa/unit property. The front property has its own drive seperate from the the back 3 which use the same driveway?

It depends on councils current policies. City of Belmont used to allow it but they don't anymore unless you go freehold (green title). Best check with council to see what their requirements are.

Another question.

Down the road (not far down) there is a 4 villa/unit property. The front property has its own drive separate from the the back 3 which use the same driveway?

Yes and no. Some councils will only allow one crossover per 20m of frontage, some councils will allow it.

You need to start reading the Town Planning Scheme for your council to see where they are over what the RCodes.

Having the 2 driveways is quite a good thing as it means the front unit has no common areas and is the pick of the bunch.

This does NOT work if you are only doing a retain and build with 1 unit at the back. If you do this you are actually making a battle axe

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yeah, I am looking at building behind an existing house. For your 4.5m drive, is that for a double or single garage? I think street front and battleaxe are going to have different requirements. I appreciate your time. It's really helpful to know these things.

Yes for a double garage. But the retained dWelling has no garage.

Back