What do I pay my PM for?

I tell ya, sometimes. .

My oven blows up the other day, PM rings me to tell me the bad news and says it will cost around $1000 to replace and fit, I suddenly clue on that isnt that why I pay insurance for? save myself $900 on insurance, thats done,
Now, I get a periodical inspection report in the mail today, I installed a new split system in a bedroom, now the remote stops working, she wants to send a maintenance man out to 'take a look at it' I said, the product has a 5 year warranty and I dont want to pay someone to go out there for nothing, she asked me to fax the receipt of purchase over.. just a reminded to always do your due dillegence with this sort of thing and try to keep on top of things otherwise I could be well out of pocket this month for no real reason.

I know how you feel, my PM released the bond when there was damage to my IP and now Im waiting to see if it will get fixed and paid for by them not me...

You must insure you do your due dilligence with your property manager, unfortunatly some PM's don't care much at all and to avoid conflict will just pass you the bill.

The one my mum uses for a local property the tenant reported the a/c stopped working, PM she is smart says "check the filter" tenant says "i don't know how, just send a repair person". PM sends person out and person says "filter dirty and been cleaned" bill forwarded to tenant as this is apart of their responsibility of maintaining the A/C unit.

To the original poster, depends what sort of systems your PM has in place to record this sort of information, if you are one of many clients of the PM and they don't have a good record keeping practice in place it can be hard to remember all details of every clients belongings/lease agreements etc.

A suggestion that i could make is to organise a meeting with the PM and discuss these issues, without discussing things how can you expect them to improve.

RH

slightly postive spin....

At least they called you first about these things rather than just going ahead and taking the cost from the rent.

They should have systems in place to record this info, particularly the air con warrenty. The oven i find more understandable that they called you about it, as that wouldn't necessarily be covered under all insurance policies.

I I installed a new split system in a bedroom, now the remote stops working,

um - have they tried changing the batteries?

p.s. i agree with alabex - at lease they ring and check because the pm may not know what insurance you have in place, or what path of action you want to take.

um - have they tried changing the batteries?

p.s. i agree with alabex - at lease they ring and check because the pm may not know what insurance you have in place, or what path of action you want to take.

Yea they did apparently change the batteries but the problem is, I work as a technician and youd be amazed at the amount of problems I see where people have installed new batteries but didnt fix the problem, its because the 'new' batteries didnt have enough charge to power the appliance. . Im willing to bet thats the fault, but I'll let my PM figure that one out on her own. . :D

I have had a similar experience in the last 4 weeks.

One property the PM rings to say hot water pipe burst $1000 to fix, I ring the pumber she engaged and said I use plumebrs for renos all the time at $60/hr seriously how long do you think it will take - he umm and ahh and said the PM never questions his quotes but as I seem to know what is going on it really should be no more than $700.

Then another PM rings to say dishwasher leaking all over the ground tradesmen said it will cost $300, so I ring tradesman he says he actually subcontracts out as he has agreement with agency and has no idea what problem is - I asked if it was the hose leaking - he checked - and said his subcontractor could not say but it might be. I rang Whirlpool tradesman came out found door latch too loose tightened $70 later all done.

Once a tradeperson gets into an agency I reckon they think they are on easy street - money for jam - no one with competence to question quotes.

Jane

Back