What do they mean by 'limited' 'moderate', 'substantial'? Newcastle DCP

I'm trying to get my head around planning regulations and am stuck figuring out what they mean by this:

Example: An RFB has ground floor units. The RFBs within the Substantial precinct are required to provide 16m2 courtyards on the ground floor. The balcony requirements for Substantial would be 15% of the dwelling size. As the dwellings are smaller, eg. 50m2, the minimum balcony allowed would be 7.5m2. The designer has the option to provide these ground floor dwellings with 16m2 private open space (ie.?courtyards?) OR a smaller ?balcony sized area? of 7.5m2 (which would be potentially designed as anarticulated feature as part of the building and may mirror the balcony arrangement) ? the remainder of the16m2 (ie. 8.5m2) would then be combined with the communal open space of the development.

There's also a table which has different minimum private space requirements for various development types. I've checked the definitions in the LEP as well as the intro to & 'how to use' for the DCP, but nada. Anyone have an idea what they're on about?

Linky: Building Design Criteria

Back