What do with this layout/reno?

akkebl.jpg

Once again I would like to tap into SS creative mindbanks,

am looking at this house, its a 100 yr old mining cottage, and its in atroscios shoddy condition its a metric crapload of work, needs repinning, restumping, recladding, and thats before we get into the internals

ive attached a diagram

what would SS experts do, a few points to note that makes it a bit difficult

the house looks like to have an extension, ie the bath, laundry
the area ive criss crossed is outside, its got a roof over it, buts its a see through plastic, and the ground is just concrete, so it used to be the outside
the wall between this room and kitchen is weathrboard
the living room is about a 15cm step down
the bath and laundry pretty much feel like an external public toilet

the house is going to need rewiring, restumping, relevelling, new floors, new plaster in the bedrooms ,new kitchen

what would fellow ssers do in terms of the layout , and to tackle this hideus exposed room and toilet/laundry that is a brick extension

thanks everyone

Renovating can be a capital idea and as usual I will try to punctuate my post with useful information about your period property.

By joining the rear wall of the building you can enclose the hatched area to gain more internal floor area. If the wall between the kitchen and living rooms is removed you create an open living feel with a 'feature' sunken living room. If you then remove the wall between the kitchen and the hatched area the house is opened up further with decision to be made to create an very large and expensive skylight out of that area, continue the roof and ceiling or a combination of the two.

I'm not sure what the blank rectangle between the bedroom and laundry is but you could convert this is an ensuite and renovate the bathroom and laundry. There are a ton of ways to creatively combine those two rooms or you could undertake the extension you propose.

There are no wrong answers.

thanks jeremy
good answer

I forgot to mention, there already is a back wall of the open area, it just looks really shoddy,

also, I could open up the dining to kitchen area by knocking down the wall,
however, the wall between the kitchen and open area is definitely load bearing,

if I do buy it im intending to totally reno it, and keep it as an IP so I wont be doing anything fancy to it

ive been thinking of possibly changing that room into a bdr to make it a 4bdr

the area in between the laundry and the bedroom might be dead space or just me having crapp MS Paint skills (sorry)

if I did change the layout to a 4bdr, id have to do something with the laundry and bathroom to make it accessible to the rest of the house, plus its a brick enclosure so if I knocked anything down id basicallt have to rebuild it from scratch with timber frames

lots to think about
thanks for your input

Back