What do you call yourself?

I was having a conversation with someone the other day and was asked what I do for a living. So far, I'm inclined to pull one of the many things I 'do', but I found I'm reluctant to say property investor.

Exploring this, I think it's because of the stigma. I think it is also because I don't feel like an investor. My real estate interests span more than 'just' investing. Also, being that I only have one investment property I feel I can't really claim the title just yet ;).

Also, all of the properties I have ever owned or had a stake in, have been built to varying degrees and so I'm wondering if developer suits better. I'm also wondering if I will ever disclose much of what I do to people outside of those that really get it.

What do you call yourself?

I've done a few renos on my IPs recently so if anyone asks I call myself a property renovator. I too am reluctant to call myself a property investor. Saying I'm a renovator doesn't indicate whether I own the properties or not, and most people assume I don't own the properties myself!

Sad that we feel a bit of a stigma in saying it.

I agree that the term developer would work for the same reasons as above. No disclosure required as it doesn't identify exactly what you do.

Good question.

I was trying to explain what I would 'be' as I've just resigned.

entrepreneur - too wanky
property developer - about right but not if I don't want the ATO to think I'm a developer
company director - possible

If and when you get there you won't be doing nothing i can guarantee you that!

I'm a workaholic so I seriously see myself working until my final days:)

But I hate that I have to classify myself as having one occupation. I have a day job. I have investments. I have a side business. Hard to pin down!

I've also noticed quite successful people down play their success. One guy comes to mind - first meeting so neither knew the other was into property. When asked what he did he said painter (as in house painter not Monet type painter). Then through other people I heard he had some properties, all very vague. Then he said something about being "really lucky" with some "property choices" *glossed over everything, changes the subject*. A while later we had some great convos about property but I found it interesting that, while he thought I wasn't into real estate stuff, he really downplayed his success (and interest).

Maybe that's the easiest way to spot a newb? They haven't been scared off talking about it yet?

Why not just say "we dabble in lots of things" and let them wonder?

Anybody who knows us well knows what we do. Anybody else who is just after a peeing contest can continue to wonder and speculate.

I've also noticed quite successful people down play their success. One guy comes to mind - first meeting so neither knew the other was into property. When asked what he did he said painter (as in house painter not Monet type painter). Then through other people I heard he had some properties, all very vague. Then he said something about being "really lucky" with some "property choices" *glossed over everything, changes the subject*. A while later we had some great convos about property but I found it interesting that, while he thought I wasn't into real estate stuff, he really downplayed his success (and interest).

Maybe that's the easiest way to spot a newb? They haven't been scared off talking about it yet?

I know another thinner sniffing painter that has bumbled his way through a few investments, a business and some luck!

:rolleyes:

pinkboy

Pretentious? I like this though.

I don't see my suggestion as being pretentious at all. I'm interested that you might think that. Maybe I need to rethink it.

I see it as avoiding having to say just what we do. The people who know us well enough don't need to ask, and those who DO ask are fishing for information, and I know some who do wonder how we manage to put food on the table. It is those people who I quite enjoy being a little coy with and letting them wonder.

Hubby had his own sister ask him outright "do you still have the first investment house you had?". Hubby said there was someone at the door and he had to go. This sister wouldn't tell us her private details and would be most offended if we dared to ask, but it is okay for her to ask us our financial stuff?

Right now, when people ask, we just say "nothing much - semi-retired" or whatever springs to mind, depending on who is asking.

I'd never say "property investor" because we don't have enough property to carry that one off.

Last edited:
I don't know why it sparked that reaction in me....hmmmm, I'll think about it.

You've now got me wondering what the definition of a property investor is? Is there a minimum amount of houses? Or a success level you need to reach?

I don't know why it sparked that reaction in me....hmmmm, I'll think about it.

You've now got me wondering what the definition of a property investor is? Is there a minimum amount of houses? Or a success level you need to reach?

There is no rule book or "property etiquette" book. I was also thinking of one particular acquaintance who has been into property a bit, and I'm not about to enlighten her as to what we have, what we owe etc. I'm a bit naughty, but I have at times dropped into conversation that we are "adding a deck" here, and "renovating another kitchen" there, and "doing some plumbing" elsewhere, knowing it is likely making her wonder how many houses we actually have.

I cannot help myself and only do it because I sort of know she is probably keen to know. It is the pixie in me coming out :p.

Back