What do you expect for $2m+?

A good location? LOL only kidding Aaron.

Very good sound proofing, a good communal open air space (ie like some of the new apartments in South Yarra near Forest Hill precinct), and home office capability. I'd have a look at what 1.8M now buys in South Yarra, South Melbourne/Albert Park and Hawthorn.

A good location? LOL only kidding Aaron.

Very good sound proofing, a good communal open air space (ie like some of the new apartments in South Yarra near Forest Hill precinct), and home office capability. I'd have a look at what 1.8M now buys in South Yarra, South Melbourne/Albert Park and Hawthorn.

Mine is the best location don't you worry - wouldn't put in so much money if it wasn't haha

I've seen that new townhouse development in Albert Park by Mirvac on Graham Street - it looks pretty dreadful and they sold for $2m+ off the plan

Double glazed, tinted windows. Double head showers. Maybe Cat6 instead of Cat5 cabling.

From what I've gathered, we seem to be in a two-tiered economy. The lower end and the higher end of the market seem to be doing well while the middle of the market is suffering.

So a $2m plus property might be viable as there could be more buyer for this than the $800k - $1m property.

There was a feature in Grand Designs Australia where a 3 storey with rooftop balcony was built or something like that. Can't remember how much it cost though.

Thanks Telejazzer - I need to put in double glazing anyway to comply with the 6-star energy rating.

We're choosing to build luxury townhouses rather than apartments/low end townhouses because as you said, the middle market is the one not doing so well right now. Plus you just can't find good, luxurious properties anymore. Everyone is building heaps of crap stuff because they need pre-sales to get development finance.

What inclusions would I expect if buying a $2m apartment? A safe with 25 kilos worth of Gold in it (e.g. $1.5m worth of Gold). I would only pay $500k for the luxury apartment :D

Seriously though, is there a strong market for these sorts of luxurious apartments at the moment? I was under the impression the top end of the market had been suffering the most recently...

What inclusions would I expect if buying a $2m apartment? A safe with 25 kilos worth of Gold in it (e.g. $1.5m worth of Gold). I would only pay $500k for the luxury apartment :D

Seriously though, is there a strong market for these sorts of luxurious apartments at the moment? I was under the impression the top end of the market had been suffering the most recently...

Nah it's a townhouse, not an apartment. Big difference.

Well we haven't built the townhouses yet - so the question is whether there is a strong market for them in 2 years' time...I don't know the answer to that but I certainly hope so

Kitchen Island minimum 1000mm wide for stool-seating breakfast bar overhang (300mm deep minimum). Flush-mounted rather than under-mounted sinks (and same with cook top), because under-mounted sinks expose the stone top to being easily chipped by heavy items.

I'd advocate real marble - not composite - for the kitchen tops and bathroom vanities.

Above all, if you can stretch your budget, use Calacatta marble, because the premium market just loves it (I know, I sell this stuff). Calacatta (even if only for the kitchen island top) says, "You've made it!" like nothing else.

NB: Use 20mm thick stone with 60mm mitred edges and waterfall ends to the floor (but install an angle down there to keep the marble above and away from mopping water, with the marble returning at the ends of the bar overhang to form internal end panels to the bar overhang).

The downstairs powder room is for public display, so spend up big on everything in there. (Vanity top in Calacatta too, for example.)

If you're in Melbourne, Apex Stone do the best work for the best price.

Hi all,

I am contemplating building 8+ luxury townhouses in Richmond. They will be 3-4 levels including basement carparking with 4 bedrooms and I am expecting to sell them for $2m+. For a townhouse of this price range, what features/tidbits do you expect to be included? Of course I will have superb finishes etc but I am more interested in what people regard as necessary or important for a property like this.

For example, ducted vacuums? smart home systems?

Thanks in advance.

24 hour per day rotating roster of live-in gorgeous female 20-45 year old Scandinavian/Asian/Indigenous/Anglo/Other (have to politically correct so some folk don't get offended) housemaids who are ready, willing and able to perform all household duties, and aren't looking for matrimony.

And a full size golf driving range..

Last edited:
Kitchen Island minimum 1000mm wide for stool-seating breakfast bar overhang (300mm deep minimum). Flush-mounted rather than under-mounted sinks (and same with cook top), because under-mounted sinks expose the stone top to being easily chipped by heavy items.

I'd advocate real marble - not composite - for the kitchen tops and bathroom vanities.

Above all, if you can stretch your budget, use Calacatta marble, because the premium market just loves it (I know, I sell this stuff). Calacatta (even if only for the kitchen island top) says, "You've made it!" like nothing else.

NB: Use 20mm thick stone with 60mm mitred edges and waterfall ends to the floor (but install an angle down there to keep the marble above and away from mopping water, with the marble returning at the ends of the bar overhang to form internal end panels to the bar overhang).

The downstairs powder room is for public display, so spend up big on everything in there. (Vanity top in Calacatta too, for example.)

If you're in Melbourne, Apex Stone do the best work for the best price.

Thanks for that help Belbo. I've been tossing up between using marble, stone or Corian for the kitchen benchtops. I'll have to investigate further.

Richmond TH's

Can I ask how wide each townhouse will be? Also, would you be willing to tell us which part of Richmond you are talking about?

Thanks

Jim

Swipe card access on the lift. Floor level control per user. Not the big bulky access cards either the small keytags.
Pool for the complex?
Spa baths. The usual bling like frame-less glass shower doors.

Glass or chrome light switches. Possibly smart lighting be it CBUS or another brand.

Security cameras for the ground parking areas. Not the cheap stuff 3-5 Megapixel IP, about $1200 a camera but hell of a lot better recorded image if set up correct.

Sure is, round the cnr from me in Wells st Brighton, the average price is about 2.3m for a 3br single story apartment. They are a top fitout with tall ceilings, but thats alot of coin for a flat. They have mostly all sold and there was about 20 of them. Plenty of empty nesters that have sold their family house and are ready to move into a smallish flat.
Yeah, the property market is flat....:rolleyes:

Back