What do you expect for $2m+?

that brighton one is a very clean and crisp look.

i like the calcultta marble on the benchtops and they custom made a chopping board too. (very interesting idea)

however i think they may have done some photoshop on some of the pics... pic1 and pic3 has different floorboards and are one being laid in a different direction compared to the other. they got some very good tiles and mosaics as well.

All the houses will have solar panels, double glazing etc in order to comply with the 6-star energy ratings that are now mandatory for new developments.

Pushing the green agenda even further than a six star rating might be worth considering. Has anyone built a Passivhaus in Australia yet? The Centre for Alternative Technology has some interesting publications. (I rate The Whole House Book highly.) And take a look at developments by ZedFactory, or which BedZED is the best known.

According to the propaganda it's possible to build a house that needs minimal heating or cooling. I don't know how accurate this is - you'd have to ask my brother - but some green ideas are less effective in reality than in theory.

The other thing that I would focus on are the little details. I've seen photos of modern properties where the overall design is interesting, but there are slips.

Take this place, the door into the garden should really be a bi-fold, enabling the whole space to be opened up to the outside. And setting the skirting boards flush with the wall would look a whole lot sharper.

image2.jpg

Or this one, where a $3 million property still has a bulky aircon unit mounted on the wall.

image5.jpg

At least, I think that it's for the AC. :D

Oh, one last thing: Do not use the Barcelona Chair in shots or renderings. It's become a real cliché of modern interior design, and they're uncomfortable to sit in.

I might let you off if you get a red or purple one though...

Aaron_C, make sure the paint job is top notch. 3 coats of quality paint on all surfaces. No gun spraying. Brush and roller for all surfaces.

Back