What do you know about Cairns?

Looks like we night have a temporary work stint in Cairns soon so starting researching cheapish property up there.

Anyone on the ground up there have any useful info for someone who only went through there 20 years ago with a backpack and at the time was only interested in beaches, fruit picking jobs and good pubs :p ?

Looking at both units and houses at the moment, some with potential subdivision potential. Surprised at the returns on some of the properties on offer for sale too. Whats the catch?

Any suburbs to look out for/avoid? Want to spend up to or around 250k (ish).

As always, all suggestions and info gratefully appreciated :D

Found this entertaining gem from some locals
http://www.cairnsblog.net/2010/03/where-to-live-or-not-to-live-in-cairns.html

An extract:

"If you want a nice relatively affordable property in a beach resort not too far from town - try Yorkeys Knob (so long as you don't mind aircraft noise, being cut off once or twice a year and potentially underwater in the next 20-30 years).

If you want hillside properties, older style still with a bit of space around them, with access to most civilised ammenities, and are pretentious and have money to burn, then try Whitfield or Edge Hill.

If you want access to television, internet, reliable phone service and a bus, or anything else from the 20th nay 21st century - DO NOT BUY IN REDLYNCH VALLEY."

:eek:
Def more research needed!

(so long as you don't mind aircraft noise, being cut off once or twice a year and potentially underwater in the next 20-30 years).
It must be sliding down into the sea, because it sure aint happenin due to rising sea levels.

The catch

Having researched the Cairns area recently myself I can tell you that the catch are the insurance premiums. Two major insurance companies under wrote a lot of insurance premiums a few years ago and took over the Cairns market. Then there was a cyclone or two a premiums shot up. I even considered paying cash for a cheapy two bedder and still couldn't make it cash-flow positive. For more info get a copy of the Australian Property Investor magazine -August 2013 addition. There's a good artical on Cairns towards the back.

Good Luck
Bullfrog

Anyone on the ground up there have any useful info for someone who only went through there 20 years ago with a backpack and at the time was only interested in beaches, fruit picking jobs and good pubs ?

Now that you're a grown-up, you have to shout yourself a meal at Salt House. I had dinner there early this year. Great space and great food - with slightly distracted backpacker staff (they possibly should have been picking fruit instead).

Having researched the Cairns area recently myself I can tell you that the catch are the insurance premiums. Two major insurance companies under wrote a lot of insurance premiums a few years ago and took over the Cairns market. Then there was a cyclone or two a premiums shot up. I even considered paying cash for a cheapy two bedder and still couldn't make it cash-flow positive. For more info get a copy of the Australian Property Investor magazine -August 2013 addition. There's a good artical on Cairns towards the back.

Good Luck
Bullfrog

Thanks Bullfrog! Very useful. I heard that another major impediment for units was higher than normal body corporates.

Now that you're a grown-up, you have to shout yourself a meal at Salt House. I had dinner there early this year. Great space and great food - with slightly distracted backpacker staff (they possibly should have been picking fruit instead).

:D:D Thanks depreciator, will do!

Any of the M suburbs are dodgy (Manunda, Mooroobool and Manoora) with the exception of upper Mooroobool near Bayview. Any of the suburbs south of white rock I would avoid. Although cheaper, traffic and demographics aren't great. Forest gardens, mt Sheridan, white rock are all good. My suggestion is the older industrial areas which are going through gentrification. My friend just renovated a bungalow in the suburb Bungalow. Still some riff raff, but close to city etc etc.

The blue chip suburbs are Edge Hill, Whitfield, top of Bayview Heights, upper Stratford and upper Freshwater.

I forsee some good CG available anywhere inner. People getting sick of suburb life and want to live closer. New mine opening and people might base themselves in Cairns for FIFO work. People still value land and grass, so try go a house rather than units. Units might attract a dodgy type of person.

Gee there were a lot of empty shops when I was up there. It's a city doing it tough. Not sure whether a mine (I'm not sure where it is) and an influx of FIFO guys will turn things around.

Cairns is a beaut place to live.

There are locals at Edmonton having a whinge after there has been a relocation of undesirables.

Murray Street Manoora is not a street you want to buy into. I could rattle off a few but you'll work it all pretty quick.

250k won't get much of a house. 300k can get you one with some repairs near a boat ramp.

Edge Hill is where the trendy people live. What I find a little interesting about Cairns is that you have a few expensive suburbs neighbouring some where your hubcaps will get stolen.

I prefer north over south. For me, Trinity Beach would be as far north as I'd like though. Just my opinion.

Thanks Risky. Thinking about taking a quick trip up there is I can to take a gander first. I've been learning what you mentioned in my research so far - posh suburbs right next door to cheaper dodgy suburbs, seems a real mismash.

A +1 for Salt House. I had dinner there a couple of weeks ago and even though the service left a lot to be desired the food was absolutely lovely.

Another good restaurant I discovered was at Trinity Beach called Blue Moon Grill. This was awesome food too, and great service to match.

These two places will become regulars for me when Cairns becomes my new home town.

Any other questions, just asked. Lived there for 26 years, but just moved to Melb.

Beaches are nice, but I wouldn't buy there. Be close to decent shops and take the nice 20min drive out. Any little decent rain causes flooding, cyclones will cut you off for days. Plus if the council ever decides to stop funding the diversion of the Barron River, those beaches will turn into mud flats.

Any other questions, just asked. Lived there for 26 years, but just moved to Melb.

Beaches are nice, but I wouldn't buy there. Be close to decent shops and take the nice 20min drive out. Any little decent rain causes flooding, cyclones will cut you off for days. Plus if the council ever decides to stop funding the diversion of the Barron River, those beaches will turn into mud flats.

Thanks 2Jzzz! What do you think about Gordonvale? It seems a bit far out on the map, but have noticed it mentioned in some forums by people who are in the process of moving to Cairns.

Back