What do you think of these RE investment and finance books?

Hi guys,

I'm in Melbourne checking out good books on real estate investment, acheiving wealth, finance etc etc and found these in the CBD's biggest book shop on Collins st.

Pllease let me know if you have read and recommend any of these books. I'm going back in a couple of days to buy 2-3.

*Acheiving financial freedom - Big Time by Botkin and Botkin. US publication cost $27

*Unfair Advantage by Robert K cost $27

*The Chinese Way to Wealth and Proserity by Michael Justin Lee for $26

*What I did not learn from my finance broker I wish I had by Jamie McIntrye for $35

*The Millionaire Next Door by Stanley and Danko for $28

*Smarter Property Investment by Peter Cerexhe A 2008 publication for $25

*I Buy Houses by Paul Do, 2009 for $35

*Australian Residential Property Development by Ron Forlee, 2005 for $30

*Mastering the Australian Property Market by John Lindeman 2011 for $35

Please also let me know if you have any book recommandations that are not on this list. I have the Robert K books, Napolean Hill's book, Michael Yardney's 2009 book and Jan Somer's recent book.

Sometimes it better to go back in time and read some old schol investment history,this book made me ,,How to start with no savings and get rich safely,
by Sturat Moore,i still look at the front page every now and again and the simple words the gentleman put in the front page when he signed the book for me,he wrote don't come back in 20 years time and tell me it does not work,it's up to you..http://www.hudson-institute.com/about-us.htmhttp://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/2130369http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/2130369

Australian dollar prices on Book Depository (in blue):

*Unfair Advantage by Robert K cost $27 (15.39)

*The Chinese Way to Wealth and Proserity by Michael Justin Lee for $26 (24.46)

*The Millionaire Next Door by Stanley and Danko for $28 (12.06)

*Mastering the Australian Property Market by John Lindeman 2011 for $35 (26.91)

Free shipping, including to China.

Yeah was about to say, I purchased a lot of those books for half that price or less. Mostly from Bookdepository.com

Millionaire Next Door, must have IMO.

go to your local library and check out the money and finance books.

Once you have read a few from the library, you'll find which authors you like the style of and you can progress from there.

the information doesnt need to be current until you have a very specific area of research, and then you'd be better off finding a proffessional or mentor rather than a published book.

Apologies, just realised the OP was offshore. perhaps have a look for electronic copies, you can usually read the first couple of chapters before buying, and you can see which authors you like.

Last edited:

I got this for "free" when I subscribed to API. Check there because if they are offereing a good book it's worthwhile subscribing.

This isn't bad except he's a bit negative on some strategies. Stating you can't make money (except in a rising market) on buy, reno, sell.

Hello- move over while those that can, do.;)

I can honestly say that I have never bought any of them. I have "Butt's Property Law", a couple on contract law, construction, real estate terminology, valuation, development feasibilities & a heap of others but nothing on investment.

Books

Hiya
I like "ORdinary MIllionaires" jim McKnight; I was inspired by jesse:p so much that my strategy kinda mirrors him ......
(Who's Jesse? Well read it and find out:p)

Thank you everyone for your input.

I just ordered 3 books and will order a few more once i receive/read those 3.

Thanks Alex. Brilliant website. Just ordered
-The Millionaire Next Door
-I Buy Houses
-An Unfair Advantage

Great prices, no need to browse through book shops and delivered to my front door.

I got this for "free" when I subscribed to API. Check there because if they are offereing a good book it's worthwhile subscribing.

This isn't bad except he's a bit negative on some strategies. Stating you can't make money (except in a rising market) on buy, reno, sell.

Hello- move over while those that can, do.;)

Thanks Travelbug. Just ordered it. Robert K's books are similar. Bad/useless content mixed with great content so you focus on what is helpful and useful.

dare I say it on their forum : )

http://www.somersoft.com.au/books.htm

"The only place a prophet isn't honored is in his hometown, among his relatives, and in his own house."

ta
rolf

Hi Rolf, I bought More Wealth from Residential Property in my last book buying spree and have read it twice now. Great for fundamentals.

i'm currently reading Pete Wargent's "Get a Financial Grip" $6.59 on the kindle

Could not find this one on Book Depository :(

Haven't read this book, but everything I've seen from this guy I would put in the 'questionable' basket.

Thanks Rob, I've taken that book of my shopping list.

If your on a shopping spree:

20 must ask questions for property investors by Margaret Lomas.

Also getting into CIP s (yet to purchase) so read commercial property investing by Dolf de Roos. Basic but eye opening.

Back