What do you think of this damage?

Hi There,

I am looking for some general advice on how best to handle this situation and whether I should just let it go or take it further.

We are landlords (self manage) and rented to some tenants who where great in terms of paying rent and communicating with, they seemed to respect the property and kept the place in good order. The moved out recently and we moved in. On doing the outgoing inspection I noticed a few things such as they hadn't cleaned or forgot to clean the main bathroom shower screen and there was a largish but faded/faint red mark on the carpet, a few scuffs here and there but nothing major so was happy to let it all go under fair wear and tear. Then I noticed on the glass of the back sliding door a lot of scratches, obviously from a dog scratching at the door.

The scratches aren't something that are immediately noticeable, mainly because that section of the door (from under the handle down) isn't something you look at for more then a second or so, but once you do look at it and see them they are very noticeable and there are many of them.

When I asked the tenant she said the neighbours dog used to get in the backyard from under the fence and must of done it, she said she had not noticed the dog doing it as she always took it back home so it must of done it when they weren't home. I am going to chat to the neighbours when I see them this afternoon and get their side of the story but we've been there almost two weeks now and I have not seen or heard of a dog from their property. The tenants now want to come and inspect the damage which is making it into a bigger deal then I prefer to deal with right now.

Does anyone know if the door would need to be replaced or whether scratches like these can be buffered out? and WDYT?

ETA: I've just found out the door would have to be replaced prices range from $600 - $900. The scratches won't get better or worse but cosmetically over time they will get dust etc in them making them more obvious.

Toothpaste!

White toothpaste (not gel) is fantastic for small scratches on watch faces and glasses. Just squeeze some on a damp cloth and gently rub it it over the marks, then rinse off. It's worth a shot.

Have given back the bond to your tenants? If this is the case unfortunately you cannot claim against them.

Good luck.

What about tinting the glass will not see the scratches then. Be a lot cheaper that replacement.

Brian

Back