What do you think will be the best Capital City for growth/less affected by downturn?

Which capital city will have the most growth/less affected by a downturn?

• Perth

Votes: 73 23.5%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 50 16.1%
  • Darwin

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Canberra

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Hobart

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Sydney

Votes: 106 34.2%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • A mining town

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • A country town (near a mining town)

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • A country town (NOT near a mining town)

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Depends on the time frame, but over the short to mid term (now - 5 years) I'd have to go with Sydney, Brisbane and Perth in that order. Although I think this next decade belongs to units more so than houses in the 2-10km radius at least. I'm certainly not as bullish as Mr Edwards at Residex though with my CG forecasts though and think immediate cash flow is more important than ever.

With interest rates dropping and sentiment still subdued theres a lot of similarities with mid '08 and opportunities all around.

Industrial land in Perth.....hang on a minute.....;)

http://www.colliers.com.au/sitecore...roperty/Commercial_Retail_and_Industrial.aspx

This one just sold for 3.5m, so over $ 600 per sqm of land. Zippety doo-dah !! That's gotta be good.

Rents have jumped between 25 and 30% as well since last year.

With the Perth CBD vacancy rate at ~ 1.8% (very very low) the capital growth rates and rental jumps are going off like a frog-in-a-sock as well.

Joy to the world......what's a downturn ??

Canberra will keep ticking over.

In 3 to 6 months time, the sun will be shining, low rates will bolster activity in the lower end of the market and talk about APS redundancies will be forgotten about.

I'd be hesitant to buy anything OTP still due to the abundance of supply.

Cheers

Jamie

Maybe Brisbane,the last time it went on the slide in 1991 till about 1998 then again slow around 2001 then gang busters till 2008 up till now values have still about the same as in 2008,and it may take another 5 years till it starts again,so i would say Brisbane,or Monto for 100k or less,renting for 200 plus,and with several old start-up various mines in the pipeline or belly-up...imho http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-monto-105819700

Hi, this is a gut reaction which I can't explain with numbers or research so don't kick me.

NOT Canberra?

The same gut reaction says Brisbane is the best followed by Perth.

The brain reaction says it may have something to do with population.

Now to deal with some action to follow the guts.

KY

Sydney pricing has been soft for some time.... I think it is usually the first place to start growing. So, I'm putting my money here.

Back