what does this mean?

hi all,

just skimming over a contract that the vendor's agent has supplied us with and there is a letter from a registered surveyor attached stating "As the building was erected prior to 1919, no local government ordinances will apply". What does this mean?

thanks,

Julie

i havent come across that in the past but Id say it essentially means because the building is so old there were no building requirements in place.

Id also say it means the building has no hope of complying with current building standards - just something to keep in mind

Hiya Alpina,

Ben is correct, this clause means (as far as I know) that there were no building ordinances in place when the property was built. So, it would not, for instance, necessarilly measure up to the current building code for a similar building.

This can be a pain in the proverbial if you want to extend the building at any time.

A town planner will be able to help you, and so will the town planning department of the local council!

also, have a look and make sure there are no heritage overlays on the property, if your intention is renovation or demolition.

hope this helps

asy :D

hmmn

was hoping it might work to our favour in the sense that we could do whatever we liked :) now wouldn't that be grand? :)

julie

Originally posted by XBenX
Id also say it means the building has no hope of complying with current building standards - just something to keep in mind

does this mean that they can deem the place non-compliant?

julie

It can work in your favour- but it depends. It does not mean you can do whatever.

I've got a block in a largely residential area. I looked at extending. It's not in an area zoned for flats- but I can extend, if I want, based on "prior usage".

Back