What doors are best for internal opening?

I have internal opening 2.065 by 1.165 wide and I thought to put some kind of door.
Most probably with glass, so corridor doesn’t become all of the sudden a very dark place.

Should I install swinging 2 halves, or should I reduce opening on one or both sides and use standard internal door about 800 mm wide?

Did anybody do something like that and was happy with it, or has second thoughts that should have done it the other way?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi there George,

Finally a subject I am familular with...Hahaha.

I work for Doors Plus and this type of opening would be perfect for 2 sets of Bi-Folds.

I would be buying 2 sets @ 620mm each, getting a carpenter to install and cut each set down to the required size.

ie. 1165mm divide by 2 = 582.5mm. This means each set (made up of 2 leaves) needs to be around 582.5mm to fit the opening. The closest set of bi-folds is 620mm, so each set will need to be trimmed 37.5mm. There are 4 sides to one set of bi-folds(2 leaves = 4 sides), so just over 4.6mm will need to be trimmed each side totalling 8 sides.

One question, is there already a door frame in place or just a plaster opening?

Cheers

Mick

P.S. Any other questions from yourself or anyone else ask away...

Last edited:
Door

Hi Mick,
Thank you for information.
Excuse me, I did not check my pot for a while.

Opening now is without any frame in it.

I do not have much experience with the doors installation, but I assume that there would be few pieces of 3x2 timber from ceiling to floor to which plaster is attached.

I had a look in roof cavity and I cannot see vertical pieces but horizontally go substantial pieces of timber on both sides of corridor, to which roof structure is attached.

I assume that this is weight-bearing arrangement and opening is in side of corridor going in the middle of the house for good 7 metres.

Out of which there is entry to rooms on one side, living room, bathroom and laundry on the other.

I recently installed an internal swing door. Regret not installing a cavity sliding door. Would that work for you?

Would have to remove couple of vertical pieces of timber, and probably affect plaster, and this would mean painting of living room or corridor or both after plaster is put back on.

As I cannot imagine to install cavity sliding door without having to remove plaster from at least one side.

But idea is good, because sliding door doesn't affect placement of furniture.

Had a 1.17 meter opening with the same sort of light issues.

We installed 10 glass panel full door and a 5 panel half door with great affect.

The smaller door can be locked down and ends up acting as a secondary architrave. Conversely both doors can be fully opened and locked in the open position using magnetic door stoppers.

Just thinking about these doors I realized that in the room that is serviced by this set of doors we also have a set of 5 light byfolds and full size 10 light external sliding doors. I guess I couldn't make up my mind lol.

Cheers

We recently installed bifolds between a bedroom and study, and got the panels with the frosted glass. They look great, take up hardly any space and we are very happy with them. You can also choose between having them closed, one open or two open.

I got to the stage of doing it.

Should I remove any plaster that is on the edge of opening, or it is OK to fasten Door Jambs through that plaster bit.
I would prefer going straight through, would reduce dust factor.

Also should I try to additionally fasten bottom of each side to the concrete slab floor to increase strength, or leave it as is?

Last thing, who sells that u-beaut saw that can access confined places?
(electric saw, that has single blade vibrating at high speed and has replacement blades for timber and brick, not sure if for metal too, but I don't need one for metal)

Bunnings Warehouse don't have them.

Wander if there is step by step information on the net, regarding doors installation?

Last thing, who sells that u-beaut saw that can access confined places?
(electric saw, that has single blade vibrating at high speed and has replacement blades for timber and brick, not sure if for metal too, but I don't need one for metal)

Bunnings Warehouse don't have them.

Found one at Mire 10, made by BOSH, but it is only for timber and gyprock and it cuts to the depth of not more than 4 cm, but I need one for 12 cm (brick width) and it has to be for masonary.

Is there one like that?

Back