What happens when you have academics and lecturers run your state?

So after all that mining boom and hoohah - Victoria is far richer and more developed than WA.

Fresh from the papers.

Western Australia is spending more than it is earning. This has become such a fixture of fiscal life in WA that it should be turned into a slogan for inscription on the next run of number plates, replacing such classic slogans as the state of excitement.

It is depressingly exciting watching the boom subside, with a set of ho-hum financial books to show for it.

This is especially the case when comparing with WA?s football nemesis, Victoria. That manufacturing graveyard which was forced to watch WA?s iron ore boom from afar has forecast $11 billion in budget surpluses over the next four years.

By comparison, WA is forecasting $513 million in surpluses over the same period. So what is going wrong out west?

Colin Barnett?s Liberals might be tough on sharks but it has been soft on economic discipline.

In a sign of how hard it is to bring in a horse that has already bolted, a series of tough measures on display in this budget, that includes trying to severely restrict spending on public sector wages, has failed to make any noticeable improvement to its books.

In short, it spent too much in the boom. Many of the budget measures are designed to finally bring expense growth below revenue growth; or in simple terms, to finally spend less than it makes, which is a task the government failed on during its first term.

Yet, there remains a question over whether the government can fulfil its promises of tough-talking given rating house Standard & Poor?s has found the state government ?lacked political will? to enforce reform.

Even if these measures are implemented, debt is now forecast to reach almost $30 billion by 2017-18, despite the government previously promising to cap net debt at $20 billion.

The state?s new treasurer, Mike Nahan, is now talking about prudent economic management, in keeping with the wise notion that a volatile, resource-fuelled economy needs to save especially hard for the inevitable rainy day.

That?s all very good rhetoric. But it is five years too late.

I think I would prefer overspending on infrastructure than underspending.

As long as there is a rigorous business case (unlike the east west link), then governments should spend on infrastructure, and they should borrow if the returns are higher than the cost of debt.

I dont know enough about WA state politics, perhaps the royalties for regions werent justified on a business case?, but I havent heard of any other major spending that was obviously a white elephant/waste of infrastructure spending....

Im just a tourist, so I dont know when your freeways were done, but they look pretty awesome with the trains down the middle. For a population a quarter the size of melbourne you seem to have more infrastructure.

Singo you are blind
Freeway widening
Fiona Stanley
Elizabeth Quay
Sinking Railway
19 new schools
2 new LNG plants
Sunday trading
We are only 10 years behind the Eastern States now

Singo you are blind
Freeway widening
Fiona Stanley
Elizabeth Quay
Sinking Railway
19 new schools
2 new LNG plants
Sunday trading
We are only 10 years behind the Eastern States now

That's all we got from the mining boom? Then I am happy to be blind.

Fiona Stanley ok. Elizabeth Quay? Sunday trading is just a resolution.

Of course there are roads widening. But no long term planning at lots of places. We will be paying again for upgrades at the same places they are upgrading now.

Back