What has a politician or party ever done for you?..

Maybe this time next week Australia will have a new well dressed Lady PM, everyone I have talked in the past few weeks all different age groups different lifestyles have turned against Mr-Abbott very quickly,politicans these days with social media uploads and their mistakes don't last long, so what has a party ever done for you??.

Double income, professionally employed, no kids, reasonably well off...

I don't recall any politician ever doing anything significant for my demographic. Anything we get was a fringe benefit targeted at someone else.

Funny thing is my electorate is a marginal seat. The problem is that most people are doing reasonable okay and fairly happy. They don't seem to know what to throw at us.

Last edited:
Created a stable environment where people can look after themselves, ensured that we live in a country where we have certain freedoms and are not bound by any religious dogma.......mostly

Stable environment and freedom to pursue my dreams ... other than that, nothing really ... but those two things are enough

Adam Giles somehow avoided the coup up here. With all the games this bunch can play, I think there is a 50-50 chance of a new PM.

Other than that, in my home country, once, during the times of immense personal hardship due to hospital bills of a family member - one of us had the wisdom to talk to a politician/minister about it. The minister somehow managed to get us a government grant to pay some of the hospital bills. No bribes, no corruption. Just a lady in power who was able to help a struggling family.

Free/low cost tertiary education. It allowed many working class kids a chance to go to uni when they might not have had that opportunity.

"If you are planning for a year, sow rice; if you are planning for a decade, plant trees; if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people."

- Kevin Rudd gave me some cash a few years ago.

- John Howard autographed his biography for me and oversaw one of the most prosperous times in our countries history.

- Local state member of parliament give the planning department a kick taking too long to review my development last year.

I blame our short attention spans and the media for pushing the politicians into focusing on immediate and short term results.

To pinch a well known quote from JFK:

Ask not what your country (politicians?) can do for you.
Ask what you can do for your country.

I have only ever asked for help during the Brisbane 2011 floods,from the then Labor PM for the local area,and when he pulled me aside to have a talk away from his minders he told me upfront,it will be the first time we have ever helped f###### wealthy property investors and he just said good luck and walked away..

I have only ever asked for help during the Brisbane 2011 floods,from the then Labor PM for the local area,and when he pulled me aside to have a talk away from his minders he told me upfront,it will be the first time we have ever helped f###### wealthy property investors and he just said good luck and walked away..

Haha love to know which MP this was in the Bligh government

so what has a party ever done for you??.
The biggest improvement to my life directly related to a political decision was a government subsidised university degree with low interest loan (HECS). I was really lucky they brought in HECS just before I went to uni. I got one of the places created by HECS.

Another significant improvement was the introduction of the GST. I used to do company and small business tax under the old sales tax system and it was painful and time consuming. Under the new GST system with quarterly reporting, my end of year tax time has been reduced from weeks to hours.

I was very critical of the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd governments, but they did a lot for me too. One example is funding the Great Eastern Highway upgrade near my house, which I benefit from a couple of times a week. They also kicked in a heap of money from the Gateway WA project, which I will also benefit from.

A less tangible (currently) benefit is the investment that successive federal and state governments have invested in research into renewable energy supplies. Even though we have been brainwashed that the LNP doesn't invest in renewables, that is not at all true. It's important to me because of opening up new industries and future energy security.

Overall, I feel like I have been very lucky with benefitting from government decisions. I have taken advantage of the CGT exemption on the sale of my main residence, had a reduction in HECS from a co-contribution and I have been able to directly benefit from government investment in infrastructure.

For me; NG and tax benefits for being an investor and business owner.

On the con side; continual erosion of good reasons to employ anyone due to ever-increasing worker benefits and costs.

We are "perking" ourselves out of jobs across the board.

I don't care because I bought myself a job which will always be there - I have sacked myself several times, but I keep turning up to work.

But seriously; I worry for the future workers who are seeing less and less jobs to get.

The jobs created the Gubb crows on about. - it's all BS.

I started uni just when Whitlam abolished fees.

Successive introduction of immigration, and increasing the scope of that immigration, has made the country a richer place.

* I'm pretty happy to have fresh air to breathe and clean water to drink.

We have benefited from many things over the years -
Family tax benefit Supplements
Low income earner tax rebates and Superannuation contributions
Medicare and Health Care Cards
Austudy
Both progeny have HECS and university degrees
That money Mr Rudd gave to just about everyone
Those tunnels under Brisbane that make cross-town travel so much easier - looking forward to Legacy Way opening soon.
Heavily subsidised Tafe courses, Thank you Ms Gillard for all the funding over the last three years to help Australian children who have Autism. It doesn't help my son but it helps keep me employed. Last year I did a $4000 Tafe qualification for $600.

Gosh, I must look like a welfare bludger!

I have never needed them for personal financial circumstances. I can create my own wealth.

However I'm happy to be living in a great city with parks, roads, infrastructure and ongoing progress.

Back