What have you achieved this year!!

The Good

Built a new investment property
Sold an investment property
Resigned from a job of 11 years to take on a new role with another company
Wow, 700+ hrs of Holidays not taken with the old company
As a bonus, the new job gives me a bit more time with the kids and wife
Stepped up my exercise plans and spent most days doing some kind of training (until the bad happened)
Started my Diploma of Management
Completed a number of short courses throughout the year
Moved house

The Bad

Will have to wait until 2015 for holidays
Found out what it was like to have a renal stone
Had some time off (training) due to a bad mountain bike crash
On a note from a poster above...didn't finish watching all of breaking bad (watched final season only, so now have to go back and watch the others).

Great thread.

Here are mine;
-Settled on IP2.
-Spent a month travelling in Europe.
-Flew first class :cool:
-Sailed the Dalmatian coast.
-Completed a number of courses and certifications.
-Sold PPOR.
-Got promoted at work.
-Signed up to somersoft :D

Worked for Spotless and now for CBA. Enjoying CBA. A great place to work.
Refinanced all IPs
Bought an IP with the equity and turned it into a short term rental (so far, so good). Turned around the purchase to short term rental in no time at all. (Bought Thursday, furnished over 3 days, First guest on Monday! And he was fantastic.)

Got PPOR loan way down and we only pay ~$10 a day in interest (partner is conservative, he likes to focus on the home loan)

Tried to learn some Korean.... More or less a failure. But I understand some.
Tried to learn more Chinese... Still pretty poor.

Late last year started venue managing the women's volleyball comp for my local association in Sydney (in addition to a Wednesday mixed comp I already managed)
My women's team won 2/3 championships this year! (As underdogs) :)

My women's SVL team won gold in the Div 2 classification (I was a random person... Didn't know any of my teammates in the first week of games!)
Upgraded volleyball referee qualification to regional badge.
Paddled 100km down the Murrumbidgee River. (Learnt a lesson, don't use soft roof racks on a glass roofed car).
Learnt how to use Teradata.
Discovered Mr. Money Moustache (thanks Kathyrn D)
Continued my ability to do the splits. :)

Managed to fix a stair and a non moving screen door (thanks WD40)
Avoided buying hotel accommodation. Hostels, yes, campgrounds, yes. Airbnb home stay, yes. Motel, yes. Hotels, no.

:)

Last edited:
- Finally decided to take action after a couple of years of sitting on my hands after discovering this forum. I spent a few hours turning threads and posts into Word documents, printed them out and bound them providing me with an invaluable hard copy resource!
- Saved up enough money for a healthy deposit and received loan approval.
- Have spent every Saturday since attending auctions and open houses, trying to learn more about the suburbs and types of houses/units I'm interested in before buying.
- Very close to buying, may have to wait until the new year now though.

Stay tuned, and thank-you!

What an inspiring thread - wonderful to read through the range of goals that have been achieved. Here's what we

1. settled on 5 cashflow properties this year - our biggest year yet; last one currently being renovated for us to enjoy water views at Lake Macq over Christmas

Had 3 holidays :
2. 4 weeks in Europe
3. 10 days in India over Mum's 80th
4. weekend in Perth

5. Served as General Secretary of Community Association and organised 2 community events.

6. Undertook major renovations on 3 properties

7. Retained by current position in the wake of a major restructure

2015 - here I come !

Swam my first Lorne Pier to Pub ocean swim
Settled on a new IP
Expanded share portfolio by 100%
Invested 10% of income into art works and collectables
Got 2 x High Distinctions for Uni subjects
Ran 2 x 15km fun runs, set PB's for each.
Took up Tennis
Eliminated all bad debt
First minor acting role in a music video
Met new girlfriend who can get 90% no LMI loans!

Had a bit of a rough year with a death in the family.

But still did a full renovation of my ppor . Kitchen, bathrooms, flooring. Suspended ceiling. Was very daunting and hard work but I have learnt a lot of new skills and contacts that I will be using for my future renos/building ventures.

Haven't finished but will be moving in the new year away from parents so looking forward to that lol

Decided what to do with other IPs in the new year.

Realised quantity is not always quality when it comes to IPs

Also adding to my list just sold an IP and have made an offer on another that has been accepted in same week!
Settles early February

On reflection, this year has been a big year:
- Loving family
- Finished MBA
- Ran half marathon
- Started construction 4 unit development
- DA approved 6 unit development
- DA pending 4 unit development (hopefully approved by year end)
- DA pending 3 luxury waterfront apartments
- Subdivision approved 15 unit development. Divested

2015 will be a year of consolidation.

Love this thread, very inspirational stuff.

2014 has been the greatest year of my life so far:

- became a mum:):) my little boy is almost 7 months now, healthy, chubby and smiles a lot. He has been to quite a few open houses with dad and mum and has so far been to two auctions.

- revaluate my first IP and was very happy to know its value has increased by 10% within a year.

- changed tenants and was able to increase the rent from $320/week to $345.

- just purchased my 2nd IP and plan to do a quick renovation so I can increase the rent from $550 to $650/week. This is going to our first renovation and hopefully it turns out good.

- had a homestay student living with us at the moment and getting paid $260/week which I think it's pretty good.

- refinance all my properties and was able to get a deal I am quite happy with.

- finally decided on our investment strategy: buy - renovate - hold/sell

- going overseas to visit my parents

- back to work in March :(

- plan to get the bank to revaluate the newly purchased property once it has been renovated and hopefully to pull out some equity so we can use it towards our next IP

Love this thread, very inspirational stuff.

2014 has been the greatest year of my life so far:

- became a mum:):) my little boy is almost 7 months now, healthy, chubby and smiles a lot. He has been to quite a few open houses with dad and mum and has so far been to two auctions.

Congratulations. Greatest and most fulfilling achievement of them all!

What great replies...

I am looking forward to growing my mortgage broking firm in 2015 got a feeling its going to be a big year.

We also own a property development company and we have 5 new homes to build next year + our two town houses.

FLAT OUT :)

Thought 2014 was going to be the first year in many in which I didn't go overseas.
Not so! Flying to Taiwan next Monday :D Coming back a week later so can also say 2015 is ticked off as a "trip overseas" year too.......

The Y-man

Flying to Taiwan because you want to or because you have to, The Y-man? Makes all the difference to what you've achieved (in my opinion, at least). Hope it's for something nice.

Flying to Taiwan because you want to or because you have to, The Y-man? Makes all the difference to what you've achieved (in my opinion, at least). Hope it's for something nice.

This is definitely in the "want to" category - didn't realise how expensive airfares are at this time of the year though (only decided to go last week)!

New Year Convention with 500+ people on a beautiful remote mountain top :)

The Y-man

-settled on ip number 9
-went to america
-got engaged
-got married
-started a business while working full time xmas was my first day off in 6 months!!!
-settling on ip number 10 early January

:) im hoping 2015 I get more sleep and a few more IP

Perhaps due to SS forum decided to continue investing after long absence, so it has been a good year:
- Bought 2 IPs in QLD
- Bought 1 IP in NSW and currently renovating
- Travelled with family to Europe
- Visited family in QLD
- Helped lots of friends with investment research
- Lost weight and started exercising, totally gave up sugar (other than natural fructose in fruit, and wine)
- Have spent more times with family and friends, it is so rewarding
- Did SMSF investment strategy for the next year
The bad, well, cannot remember it as all the good outweighed the bad!

Back