What if the mining (boom) ends?

Looking at house price on month to month is like share price on a weekly basis...
It tells you nothing but making speculator feel good....

Year on year and the factor that drives its performance are better way to look at investing in an asset...

The mining boom HAS ended, Rudd the dud just told us.....he can only now see what everyone else could see 12 months ago. Go ask some of the investors who bought into mining towns in the last 12 months if the boom is over...

The mining boom HAS ended, Rudd the dud just told us.....he can only now see what everyone else could see 12 months ago. Go ask some of the investors who bought into mining towns in the last 12 months if the boom is over...

Unfortunately they got their timing completely wrong, there were certainly plenty of warning signs, high risk regardless.

I think the current figure of mining projects is currently running at around $97B.

Admittedly it's off the peak of $107B, but it's still $97B!!!!

I think the current figure of mining projects is currently running at around $97B.

Admittedly it's off the peak of $107B, but it's still $97B!!!!

even the most exposed of mining towns such as newman are still flying - rio is about to (or has) pushed the button on koodaideri and that's a biggy

even the most exposed of mining towns such as newman are still flying - rio is about to (or has) pushed the button on koodaideri and that's a biggy

But we've been told the mining boom is over.

The pollies are saying it and it's in the papers, so it must be true. :p

yeh I was a bit gobsmacked when an educated person said to me yesterday that the mining boom was over, finished, kapput and bust..... um ok, I mustn't have picked up the paper yet

If everything is flying then why have price of properties in Karratha fallen as much as 25% as well as rents. There are also many other mining areas in QLD where values/rents have been effected.

Why are people losing their jobs, contracted to mining companies such as BHP, why are some companies associated to the mining sector scaling down/staff, its just not looking that great. I hope I am wrong, but there are some significant factors that are actually happening that are making me worry.

How would Labour benefit from this negative news?? What would be the point

the karratha changes dont make sense as its not even a mining town. it's been sailing along fine since I first started mucking around there 25 years ago and am sure it will continue to do so. there has been some prudence from the bigger companies - probably well over due, down right wasteful some of their practices.

the main project we lost was gorgon, but it's hard to lose something you never had. if we didnt have the expectation of that you would have to say things are still booming by any comparison

Your still on the money Ausprop. Most of the action up here in mining has gone from construction to production in the last 6 to. 8 months so yes there has been some culling. There will be more as productions becomes streamlined.
There is still a lot of workers getting whopping big pay packets up this way.
There is a lotta life left in mining yet my friends
Cheers
Yadreamin

Your still on the money Ausprop. Most of the action up here in mining has gone from construction to production in the last 6 to. 8 months so yes there has been some culling. There will be more as productions becomes streamlined.
There is still a lot of workers getting whopping big pay packets up this way.
There is a lotta life left in mining yet my friends
Cheers
Yadreamin

Good to get it from someone on the ground.. great stuff.

Have not heard from you for a while on SS, hope all is going very well for you.:)

Good to get it from someone on the ground.. great stuff.

Have not heard from you for a while on SS, hope all is going very well for you.:)

Yeah the rail side of things have dried up only one job for me to go to in pilbara Roy hill.

But it's happened before and then theres another railway line to build definelty slower on the ground though

Wouldn't it be that there will be slower periods and faster periods ups and downs fmg is a lot bigger then when they first started

gina rineaheart will most likely expand she is putting a lot of infrastructure for 55 mt

Yeah the rail side of things have dried up only one job for me to go to in pilbara Roy hill.

But it's happened before and then theres another railway line to build definelty slower on the ground though

Wouldn't it be that there will be slower periods and faster periods ups and downs fmg is a lot bigger then when they first started

gina rineaheart will most likely expand she is putting a lot of infrastructure for 55 mt

Thanks for the update. So what is it that you actually do???

In current environment that is understandable:)

Mtr what do you think will happen , with a lot of construction cutting back ,you think it's still good time to devolop my spearwood property .

first or land bank it and look to develop in melbourne

Just a little bit confused on what I should do

Back