What is a caveat?

I've been seeing this around the forum a lot, but a search on the word failed to come up with a definition.

What exactly is a caveat? Does it simply mean a deal without a legal contract?

Thanks,
Luc.

If someone has an interest in your property they can place a caveat over it. This will prevent you selling it until the caveat is removed.

For example if we had a dispute over a property and I was fearful you would sell without me knowing I might have a solicitor place a caveat on it. Not a good example but best I can do after a night down the pub with Jamie!

Hi,

Thanks for the response Simon.

So the caveat only works if two people both own a property?

Can a caveat be placed on a property by a potential buyer? For example, if the vendor and buyer agree to hold a caveat on a property that is being sold.

Thanks,
Luc.

Originally posted by Phil_H
hmm, a night at the pub with Jamie :(

I take it you didnt win first prize then ;)

Cheers

Phil

He did actually.....................second prize was 2 nights out with Jamie

(sorry Jamie...)

regards

Lucas, Simon's description is spot on.

Finance companies often use Caveat's.
For example, you might borrow money to buy a car and they want to protect themselves more than just a lien over the car, but you don't want a mortgage over your home just for a car loan.

They can lodge a Caveat with the Titles Office, which means you cannot sell it, mortgage it to any one else, without them knowing and without their permission.

If you default on the car loan, it doesn't give them the right to just sell up the home to recoup the car debt, but it does give them some control over what you do with the property - and therefore a better chance of eventually getting their money back.

Geekay

OK after a nights sleep I can offer the following. It is for NSW but should be similar elsewhere.

The word Caveat comes from latin and means let them beware.

When recorded on a Torrens Title, the main function of a caveat is protective. The caveat forbids registration of any further interest recorded in the land without first obtaining the consent of the caveator. In Just v Bankof NSW (1972) it is described as:

"a claim by someone that he shall receive notice before dealing with land is carried through."

I hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the information! I'm starting to understand it now. So just curiously, why is the sales section of the board called Caveat Emptor?

Caveat emptor is Latin for buyer beware.

It means that you need to do your own due diligence and analyse any opportunities presented!

Yes, do a Title Search.

They can be registered at the Titles Ofiice like a mortgage, however without the actual Title being produced by the owner of the property.

Back