What is a good name for a new suburb and why?

New topic guys!!!

Tell us what do you think would be a good name for calling a totally new suburb and why?

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Hi,

In my experience a suburb/estate should now contain some or all of the following keywords;

- Vista
- Waters
- Heights
- Lakeside
- Bella

Actually Italian names for common things seem to work well.

Maybe an ultimate name would be;

Bella Heights Vista Lakeside Waters
(Beautiful High Views of Lake Water)

Michael G

G'Day All,

Tis a hard question but here is my list.

Would obviously suit a prestige new area, something quite up market.

1. JAKKSVILLE
2. JAKKSTOWN
3. JAKKVALE
4. JAKKS HEIGHTS
5. JAKKS MEADOWS
6. JAKKLAKES
7. LOWER JAKK
8. UPPER JAKK
9. JAKKS TOWERS
10. WESTJAKKS
11. JAKKS HILL
12. JAKKS WATERS

Regards

Dear Guys,

It's funny how a name is so important to the successful marketing of a project.

Michaelg hit this on the head with the image certain names conjure up.

- Vista
- Waters
- Heights
- Lakeside
- Bella

Yes they all give a perception that is great to live in.

The name is important to:

-Initially grab the attention of potential investors. In a multitude of suburbs to invest in a name can affect whether it is initially in your "target properties to be researched" list. Therefore it has a higher percentage chance to be invested in.

-Important for potentially increasing the residents "self reference criterion". If they feel a degree of pride in the suburb then they will speak about the suburb in a way that continues to positively market it.

Other names building on from Michael could include "rise" and "heights".

I believe the name can have an impact on the ongoing capital appreciation of an area. However I do not believe it makes a significant impact on rental yields of the area in question.

Now "jakk". With him being recognised as a well sought after movie actor. I.E. in the ilk of Sean Connery/Mel Gibson *winks* then his characteristics and therefore the marketing prestige of the "Jakk factor" could well be carried across to the suburb in question. Thereby again contributing to the increase in capital growth with a well structured marketing plan.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Hi,

For the life of me I cant remember the name, but there have been suburbs named literally as a joke. At the time is sounded aboriginal, but 20 years later it has been discovered it was a play of words, now imagine the drop in value in that area!

Michael G

I always find it funny when they market a new subdivision/suburb with all these dreamy images of children playing in amongst beautiful trees, people reminiscing about their childhood etc etc space to play, and on and on and on
Then you see the subdivision, where everything has been razed to the ground and there's barely a blade of grass to be seen, and the blocks are so tiny the for sale signs are almost bumping into each other.
Actually, it's not funny, it's rather sad.

I think we missed one -

PARK

Driving through a new area yesterday I saw 3 estates of something PARK.

Also a hint of ye old england

Hillsmeade
Hunt Club
Strawberry Fields
Lavender Hill

are a few from the same area. :D

In my area of Adelaide, you are pretty hard pressed to find a suburb which is not a "park", or a "gardens" - we even have Clarence Park right next to Clarence Gardens !

Joke Name

Originally posted by michaelg
Hi,

For the life of me I cant remember the name, but there have been suburbs named literally as a joke. At the time is sounded aboriginal, but 20 years later it has been discovered it was a play of words, now imagine the drop in value in that area!

Michael G

Hi Michael,

There's one here on the Central Coast, NSW.
"Watanobbi" :p

The council are a little tongue-tied as to where it has actually originated from. None of the local historical groups or aboriginal folk can pin point where or how the name has claimed its aboriginal heritage. :confused:

A possible name for a posh suburb (or one with pretensions of same) would be "Excelsior Gardens". Obviously there should some green space as the focal point.

Suburbs like:

- (Blah)ville
- (Blah) Point - gives a hint that the suburb is right on the water, but it doesn't have to. It could be just right on top of a hill ;)
- (Blah) Bay

seem to sell quite well too. :)

Dear guys,

Building on a serious note from what Rixter said I wonder if anyone knows what it would take to be in control of a suburb's name and/or to create a new postcode.

Questions/and or input welcomed:

1) What size of land/population is required to make a new suburb?

2) What requirements does Aust Post/another body have for creating a new postcode. (When does an existing postcode no longer cover the population and therefore necessitates a new postcode to be created?)

3) Other factors. What other factors do you think would be important in changing a suburbs name/postcode selection?

Some ideas to think about.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

The PO's requirement for a postcode is (or was, some years ago, the last time I looked) the Post Office Delivery route. It depended on the best way for the mail to be delivered. So for example, people lived in a suburb called (for example) Asy. But the PO advised some people living in Asy to call themselves Asy Heights. Which annoyed the @#@ out of people who lived in Asy.

I have an IP in "Jerrabomberra Heights"- quite pretentious, because its right in the lowts of the heights.

But I live in Queanbeyan, Full stop.

But people are starting to use the term "Queanbeyan Heights". I assume Real Esate agents.

[edited... apologies- I lost a piece of the origianl somewhere]

Last edited:
people who lived in Asy.

People live in asy?

um?

OK, now that I am over the shock...

Can I charge rent?
or would it be rates?

Hmmm.....

Well, Mum said I needed to loose weight... I need a population reduction...

hehehe

asy :D

G'day Asy,

Judging by your avatar, you don't seem to have that "lived in" look ;)

(I suspect Geoffw was referring to Asy T - so that's probably not you anyway). But I loved your quick take on the situation....

Regards,

Back