What is a lowball offer?

I have found a property I am interested in putting an offer in, it has a list price for Auction, but I'm hoping that since it is a bit of a buyers market at the minute I could maybe make a lowball offer..

The property is listed for 380 - 420 and the vendor is keen to sell before auction, other properties similar to that in the area have sold for 20k less than the asking price just a month before (listed for 420, sold for 400)..

I was hoping to go in at about 365 for an offer before auction to open negotiations.

My question is, is that too much of a lowball? Do you think the agent won't take the offer seriously enough? Or is this a good way to determine how motivated the seller is?

I'd say go for it.

I bought a property a year ago and put in an offer 40k less than the asking price cause I really wanted a bargain and like you I thought the agent would laugh and say 'you're kidding right', but to my surprise he responded asking for an additional 2k, I couldn't believe i was even in the ballpark and that my offer was being considered... so I kept to my figure realising they were interested and by the end of the day the vendor had accepted and that was that :eek: A great way to get instant equity!

The response should give you some idea how keen they are to sell.

Hi Brendan,

If you say other properties have gone for 20k less, go for 20k less. I don't think this is unreasonable in this market.

You could also try 30 to 40 under with no finance clause (If you have finance pre approved) and no pest. I have also done this before but have been confident of my finance and pest report.

Some sort of carot is a good incentive for the seller when going in low. Then you can start the negotiating.

Another carot is a shorter settlement term of 4 weeks.

Good Luck!:)

Regards Jo

To strengthen the offer, I would ensure it is unconditional and quick settlement as mentioned.

I could be wrong but I would doubt that before the auction, they would accept an offer below the advertised range. You may however be in a better position however after the auction if it doesn't sell. However not knowing how motivated the vendor is to sell, the property (and property type), attendance at OFI's, it is difficult to give specific advice here.

Hi Brendan,

do your sums to work out what the "fair market value" of the property is. It may not be what the agent is expecting then use those figures to back you up in negotiations.

I think it is a good idea to offer something back ie cross out the finance clause and the cooling off in exchange for a lower price but you need to be sure!

Going in too low without a fair negotiation and nothing to back you up will have you labeled you as a tyre kicker with agents then they won't take you seriously. We have found that building rapport with agents has been a useful tool in acquiring properties.

Hi all
Interesting thread this...
Not meaning to hijack the thread but I was wondering if any one out there has gone in really low, but accompanied the offer with a large deposit, say 40% of the purchase price?
It is something I am thinking about doing this weekend...
House on the market for $350K
I offer $295K (subject to finance)with a $118K deposit to show Im serious. Afterall, this will be the deposit needed for a 60% lend which is what I will be getting.
BTW that house needs quite an extensive reno so going in low is the only way to make the deal work for me.
Any thoughts??

Boods

Hi Boods99, It would be highly unlikely that any Agent would take any deposit in excess of 10% of purchase price. Under the Property Act if a larger deposit is taken the contract then becomes an installment contract and there is no definitive settlement date for the remainder of the purchase price. This is something that is taught when we get our license.

A Lawyer/Solicitor can perhaps explain it in clearer terms.

Jon

My question is, is that too much of a lowball? Do you think the agent won't take the offer seriously enough? Or is this a good way to determine how motivated the seller is?

Hi Brendan, I'm making assumptions here, but I'm thinking you may be concerned you will upset someone by making a low offer.

May I suggest you work through the implications of making each type of offer. eg.

You make an offer of $350K. The real estate agent gets offended... He insists you make a higher one. Nego starts.

You make an offer of $350K, the owner is offended. They never speak to you again. I would offer that in a buyers market, this may be unlikely or if it does happen, there are other properties out there.

You make an offer of $420K, the owner accepts. He's happy and you never see him again. You are paying off a higher debt.

I'm not saying that you must 'screw him for everything he has'. But I am suggesting that by working through the implications of particualar strategies, you may become more comfortable with one or another. You may decide in the end that you are a person who is not comfortable with low ball offers, and then act accordingly.

If I may make one further suggestion, may I suggest you search the forum for posts on 'framing'. It's a nego tool which you may find helpful in this instance. I'm afriad I have to take the kids to school, or I would post more.

I'm sure many ppl here know framing - if an explanation hasn't been posted by the next time I visit and you are interested, I will post further.

Are you talking a $200k property or a $600k property? $40K on a $200k is 20% but only about 6.7% of a $600k property and its not really low balling.

I'd say go for it.

I bought a property a year ago and put in an offer 40k less than the asking price cause I really wanted a bargain a

Percentages or numbers, pick whichever sounds best. We put an offer of $60k on a house for sale at $76k with a council valuation of $96k. Not much in dollars but looks good as percentages.

Reaction yesterday was "just as well you didn't pay any more than that" but that was from someone who came over just as we were ripping experimental holes in the floor.

Hi Evand,

It was a 500k property & was very happy given the location and market at the time, definitely a good buy having looked at 50+ similar properties & their sell prices.

Also, I didn't say mine defined what a low-ball offer was, merely and example that you can get a property for a good price if you know your area and can get an idea of how keen the vendor is to sell.

Out of interest how would you define a low-ball offer ?

I'm not sure. I suppose everyones definition is different. Maybe making an offer around 15%-20% below the asking price.

Hi Evand,

It was a 500k property & was very happy given the location and market at the time, definitely a good buy having looked at 50+ similar properties & their sell prices.

Also, I didn't say mine defined what a low-ball offer was, merely and example that you can get a property for a good price if you know your area and can get an idea of how keen the vendor is to sell.

Out of interest how would you define a low-ball offer ?

I have found a property I am interested in putting an offer in, it has a list price for Auction, but I'm hoping that since it is a bit of a buyers market at the minute I could maybe make a lowball offer..

The property is listed for 380 - 420 and the vendor is keen to sell before auction, other properties similar to that in the area have sold for 20k less than the asking price just a month before (listed for 420, sold for 400)..

I was hoping to go in at about 365 for an offer before auction to open negotiations.

As an agent i can tell you this is not the most riddiculous offer i have ever heard! Peoplle offer all sorts of things - 100k below, half etc etc. At least if u make the offer, they are bound to come back with a counter, which will give you a better idea of what they will take.

Go in as low as you think is appropriate and with terms that you want. I bought a house in Castle Hill yesterday, was on the market for a while with the vendor orignially after around $550K. He dropped his price to $535K, $515K, $495K. Yesterday I offered $475K with a 5% deposit, 90 day settlement and access to the property before settlement to begin getting quotes etc. for renovations. He accepted straight away, no negotiations.

You can be suprised sometimes.

Richard

Hi Brendan, I'm making assumptions here, but I'm thinking you may be concerned you will upset someone by making a low offer.

May I suggest you work through the implications of making each type of offer. eg.

You make an offer of $350K. The real estate agent gets offended... He insists you make a higher one. Nego starts.

You make an offer of $350K, the owner is offended. They never speak to you again. I would offer that in a buyers market, this may be unlikely or if it does happen, there are other properties out there.

You make an offer of $420K, the owner accepts. He's happy and you never see him again. You are paying off a higher debt.

I'm not saying that you must 'screw him for everything he has'. But I am suggesting that by working through the implications of particualar strategies, you may become more comfortable with one or another. You may decide in the end that you are a person who is not comfortable with low ball offers, and then act accordingly.

If I may make one further suggestion, may I suggest you search the forum for posts on 'framing'. It's a nego tool which you may find helpful in this instance. I'm afriad I have to take the kids to school, or I would post more.

I'm sure many ppl here know framing - if an explanation hasn't been posted by the next time I visit and you are interested, I will post further.

Thanks for the reply, I guess the last time I made an offer on a place was about 3 years back and it was a hot market.. so a lower than asking price offer was just not heard of to secure the property and when we did, we were easily lead up the garden path to offer more than we had initially expected..

The situation I am in now is that its a quiet market, not sure how much interest there has been in the property and I can't gauge how motivated the vendor is to be able to know what sort of offer is realistic.

I think I might take your advice, offer something reasonably below asking price and see what sort of reaction I get, then start negotiating from there.

I did a search from framing and couldn't find anything.. it would be good if you could shoot me some information on it.

Thanks all for your help :)

Thanks for the reply, I guess the last time I made an offer on a place was about 3 years back and it was a hot market.. so a lower than asking price offer was just not heard of to secure the property and when we did, we were easily lead up the garden path to offer more than we had initially expected..

The situation I am in now is that its a quiet market, not sure how much interest there has been in the property and I can't gauge how motivated the vendor is to be able to know what sort of offer is realistic.

You are right, it’s a different market now. A bit intimidating I think – during the boom I knew that even if I made a mistake, capital growth would cover it up for me. Now I feel a need be a bit choosier.

I started a thread btw based on your q http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=429582, I find that knowing the underlying principles and models helps me understand how to apply them to a specific situation.

I did a search from framing and couldn't find anything.. it would be good if you could shoot me some information on it.

You might know it as ‘anchoring’ instead. Framing is setting the outside range of a negotiation. If I want to sell a car, I’ll put an ad in the paper for $15,000. You would be crazy to offer me $20,000 when I have already said I was happy with $15,000. $15,000 has therefore set (framed) one side of the negotiation.
You as a buyer come in and offer $10,000. You have now set the other side of the negotiation. The negotiation will now commence within that $5,000 range. The interesting bit comes in now. Physiologically, Australians believe the ‘fair’ point for a negotiation is in the middle. You said it yourself above.

The property is listed for 380 - 420 and the vendor is keen to sell before auction, other properties similar to that in the area have sold for 20k less than the asking price just a month before (listed for 420, sold for 400).

So in the car example, I would now have an expectation that the car would sell for around $12,500 (depending on skill and a few other things, but in general). As a sidebar, some cultures don’t have this ‘mid point = fair’ notion which is why some cultures get branded in particular ways.

But back to the car. I have still asked for $15,000. What happens if you change the frame? What happens if your first offer is $5,000? Negotiation will now commence within a $10,000 range, and the ‘fair mid point’ now equals $7,500.

In reality, there is a lowest amount that the seller won’t go below and an upper amount the buyer won’t go past. The other thing which changes it is the skill of each side and the amount of knowledge they have about the deal. Within that, the ‘fair mid-point’ is where deals tend to end up and framing helps shape that.

Sounds a little odd I know, but seems to work. I taught real estate investing at a community college for a while and I did this as an exercise in negotiating. It tended to come out the same way each time.

I thought you may be interested in framing as my understanding is that this is where ‘low balling’ comes in. They are setting the frame wide, so as to achieve a lower mid-point.

Oh, one final point. The house you are interested in above. The real estate agent is trying not to frame the negotiation. By giving a $40K range for himself, he has already given himself a buffer for that ‘fair mid point’. You might wish to give yourself a similar buffer on your side of the frame. It’ll depend on what you want.

In my mind a lowball offer is around 20% under the low asking price.

I prefer to be a bit more picky with the property and then start at 10% under and see what happens. But everything varies so in rising market you need to pay close to asking to secure a prop, in a crap market you get away with lower offers.

Nice post Jas. That was a good read.

Cheers
quoll

The lowball offer I made was too late in the marketing of the property and wasn't accepted, I had offered $380k and the sale went through at auction for $410k, the property was advertised in the 390-410k, so the REA was just about right :)

I have just made a verbal offer on another property below value, hope to hear back on that one in the morning.. will keep you posted.. I can feel some of these negotiating tactics working the more I do it :)

Hi Boods99, It would be highly unlikely that any Agent would take any deposit in excess of 10% of purchase price. Under the Property Act if a larger deposit is taken the contract then becomes an installment contract and there is no definitive settlement date for the remainder of the purchase price. This is something that is taught when we get our license.

A Lawyer/Solicitor can perhaps explain it in clearer terms.

Jon

Now that's some interesting info. I heard about this a while ago, but thnx for reminding me to look at it in more detail.
And btw, would'nt it be up to the onwer/seller to make that decision?

Back