What is/isn't covered by Body Corporate and when does it become insurance claim?

Their is one villa I own and manage that I'm quite confused about expenses, damage, etc.

I just got a statement for Maintenance-building.

Here is some of the expenses taken out of the body corp funds

Reseal bath area - $295

8m fence to boundary - $750

I would have thought owners would be responsible for sealing their own bath. Is that incorrect. We've just had a leaking pipe in our bathroom sink which has totally warped vanity. Can I claim the replacement. My husband/plumber has already fixed the leak.

I don't understand why they wouldn't claim fence replacement on insurance.

I had some water damage inside my villa caused by blocked gutters, caused by a tree from a neighbouring property (beside the villa complex). Thankfully the neighbour has removed the overhanging branches as requested from body corp so I now won't have ongoing issues. But body corp told me they would write a letter to neighbour but ultimately I was responsible for the tree and damage to my property. I'm sure I read on this site previously the gutters/roof are covered under body corporate.

Totally confused!!

I own another unit/townhouse that is managed by on site manager. He resealed shower when I purchased the unit as it showed up as having excess water by building inspector and he said he chucked in the service for free although I would normally be charged for it.

Both of my current units have one common wall with another unit.

Last edited:
I'm about to fix a leak in my bathroom due to waterproofing membrane failure. I've been advised that it is my problem/expense to sort out. the rule my strata company told me was that the strata covers one tile height higher than the bath/shower. Anything higher than that is the owner responsibility.

Maybe the excess on the fence replacement would've been more than the cost just to pay for the job to be done.

Definitely question the expenses. My strata keeps paying for garage door mechanisms even though they tell me it's not their responsibility when I try to get mine paid by them too.

Check your BC insurance policy booklet etc to be certain. You should be able to find the insurer & the policy number etc in your insurance certificate (in the strata docs at purchase?).

Their is one villa I own and manage that I'm quite confused about expenses, damage, etc.

I just got a statement for Maintenance-building.

Here is some of the expenses taken out of the body corp funds

Reseal bath area - $295

8m fence to boundary - $750

I would have thought owners would be responsible for sealing their own bath. Is that incorrect. We've just had a leaking pipe in our bathroom sink which has totally warped vanity. Can I claim the replacement. My husband/plumber has already fixed the leak.

I don't understand why they wouldn't claim fence replacement on insurance.

I had some water damage inside my villa caused by blocked gutters, caused by a tree from a neighbouring property (beside the villa complex). Thankfully the neighbour has removed the overhanging branches as requested from body corp so I now won't have ongoing issues. But body corp told me they would write a letter to neighbour but ultimately I was responsible for the tree and damage to my property. I'm sure I read on this site previously the gutters/roof are covered under body corporate.

Totally confused!!

I own another unit/townhouse that is managed by on site manager. He resealed shower when I purchased the unit as it showed up as having excess water by building inspector and he said he chucked in the service for free although I would normally be charged for it.

Both of my current units have one common wall with another unit.

Hi there,

I'm guessing from the fact that you have referred to 'Body Corporate' means that your property is in QLD?

If they're in QLD - the following applies. If not, then don't listen to me :)

Resealing bath/shower is always up to the Owner, in all circumstances. It's legislated, and the Body Corporate shouldn't have paid for this. If they did, I'd be concerned about the knowledge of the BC Manager/Committee.

The responsibility for roof/guttering depends on the plan of subdivision, which you have not provided and probably don't know, but you should familiarise yourself with. It affects nearly all aspects of the property management, and is usually only found on the registered plans.

Insurance - almost all standard policies cover resultant damage. So resultant damage to a bathroom vanity, caused by a leaking pipe should be claimable normally. The cost of repairing the pipe would be either yours or the Body Corp, depending on the plan, location and purpose of the pipe. Bathroom vanities are typically considered to be part of the building. Carpets/possessions damaged would not be covered by BC insurance.

This repair/resultant damage distinction also applies to the guttering/roofing, again depending on the plan and extent of the neglect and damage.

Maintenance in Bodies Corporate is quite complicated and very easy to get wrong. If you want more information, send me a PM.

Matt

IP townhouse in Qld -my examples - When my shower leaked - i had to fix it.
Another townhouse's roof leaked (after a severe storm) damaging the interior paint work etc - the repair to the roof and the repaint of interior was covered by the body corp because body corp is responsible for exterior building. Repairs to the fencing are covered by BC because they are part of the common property.

Your blocked gutter damage was probably not covered because it was a maintenance issue, unless BC/ management is responsible for keeping gutters clean. Resealing the bath area is an odd one though. Perhaps plumber discovered some sort of building fault issue instead of general wear and tear.
Cheers, nat

I was wondering after I wrote this if each state was different.

I seem to understand my Qld townhouse.

The villa I don't understand is in WA and I've been referring to it as Body Corp instead of Strata Management.

So I guess each state operates a bit differently as to what they cover or are they mainly the same?

The bath is a shower over bath.

I'll look through my strata info from purchase and see if I can make more sense of it.

Hi there,

I'm guessing from the fact that you have referred to 'Body Corporate' means that your property is in QLD?

If they're in QLD - the following applies. If not, then don't listen to me :)

Resealing bath/shower is always up to the Owner, in all circumstances. It's legislated, and the Body Corporate shouldn't have paid for this. If they did, I'd be concerned about the knowledge of the BC Manager/Committee.

The responsibility for roof/guttering depends on the plan of subdivision, which you have not provided and probably don't know, but you should familiarise yourself with. It affects nearly all aspects of the property management, and is usually only found on the registered plans.

Insurance - almost all standard policies cover resultant damage. So resultant damage to a bathroom vanity, caused by a leaking pipe should be claimable normally. The cost of repairing the pipe would be either yours or the Body Corp, depending on the plan, location and purpose of the pipe. Bathroom vanities are typically considered to be part of the building. Carpets/possessions damaged would not be covered by BC insurance.

This repair/resultant damage distinction also applies to the guttering/roofing, again depending on the plan and extent of the neglect and damage.

Maintenance in Bodies Corporate is quite complicated and very easy to get wrong. If you want more information, send me a PM.

Matt
Yes I could have claimed plumbing expense, vanity and there is some bubbling on outside wall which I can get assessed through insurance. I did query the bathroom sealing claimed by another owner. Answer was a bit vague but suggested it may have needed resealing after a burst pipe or something.

Each strata company has it's own rules and bi-laws (in addiction to the commonly held ones.

Basically you are responsible for anything inside your unit. In NSW the floor is covered (if it's original) so if there is damage BC (or strata) will fix it. I had BC repair my shower base as the problem was in the floor. If the leak was in the wall it would have been my problem.

I cannot understand why they would be resealing a bath. I would question that. It's nolt a common area? eg pool area etc.
As for the fence, why would insurance have anything to do with it? If a fence gets old, replace it. If you need a fence build one.

I've had different opinions as to whether sliding doors to balconies are BC or individual. But I've won in those cases.

You cannot claim damage that was done by your property toi the inside of your property. However, if the leak damagedf the unit below you (for example) you would have to pay to fix their problems.

I think you should not have had to pay for tree damage and damage to gutters. That's common land and therefore not your responsibility.

I would get a copy of your strata laws. And also attend the next meeting.

Back