what is it about YOU?

I've often heard people say that once they get on the path to success and becoming a better person, they are unable to fit in to their old school groups and the general population.

It's like 2 different worlds and generally if you start talking about investing or business or wealth or personal growth, people are either put off, fascinated and want to know more or just confused.

ANYONE can be successful and anyone can invest and create wealth but what do you think it is that causes some people to actually go down a path where their life becomes better and others that sit and watch, confused, fascinated or put off but sometimes stuck and unable to make a move forward - even though the wealth is there for the taking if they wanted it???

what is it about YOU that has started you on the path to investing? Why do you "think" differently to others?

I've often heard people say that once they get on the path to success and becoming a better person, they are unable to fit in to their old school groups and the general population.

It's like 2 different worlds and generally if you start talking about investing or business or wealth or personal growth, people are either put off, fascinated and want to know more or just confused.

ANYONE can be successful and anyone can invest and create wealth but what do you think it is that causes some people to actually go down a path where their life becomes better and others that sit and watch, confused, fascinated or put off but sometimes stuck and unable to make a move forward - even though the wealth is there for the taking if they wanted it???

what is it about YOU that has started you on the path to investing? Why do you "think" differently to others?

Self education, or personal development did it for me. However I believe I had a BURNING DESIRE or HUNGER for wanting more than what life gave me! Also, being open minded allowed to progress!
Most of our family and friends, and other close to heart may not get it as they do not travel along the same path if they do not grow! So it is very hard for others to even understand, even though they can be your dear friends from many years ago!
There are many reasons why others won't follow that path, it can be fear, not understanding, no self-belief, but IMHO, there is no greater burning desire, they are basically comfortable without knowing it, and thus dislike the change like most people do!
Also, I find many of those who are leaders, will not be open minded, say to learn from others that have achieved those things! Some of my friends will not even listen as they know better!
So IMHO, one needs to be open minded, a follower first rather than a leader, and then one needs to grow and give! The more you grow, the more you become different from others if they are not growing too.:)

What is it about you?

I think it is about the burning desire to get ahead. This keeps you motivated to find the what, when, how. Then having the confidence to carry out your plan and climb over the obstacles. Your first success is priceless.:D

My parents were poor so I got to see how having not much is like. They still had nice lives in terms of genral happiness (I assume - often hard to tell what folks are like in their head when you are a kid), but why settle for not much?

I worked at a Golf Club for a decade where the overwhelming majority of Members were retirees or close to retirement, and most were pensioners or going to be one.

As a group, their lives were ones of less; scrimping and penny-pinching, most of them; lives of less and their mindset was not one I wanted to end up with or live in.

I also worked at a Golf Club several years before previous to this, which was very exclusive and mostly well-off and rich Members...the difference in lives and mindset among most of them was very different to the other Club...a lot more how I wanted to be and live.

As a group, their lives were ones of less; scrimping and penny-pinching, most of them; lives of less and their mindset was not one I wanted to end up with or live in.

I grew up around people like this. They were good at blaming and making excuses, and often got angry.

It's not the money, it's the mindset that's the issue.

I guess it starts usually with a thought of "there has to be a different way to do things, a better way" then you look for the answers. I think the key is actually taking some action once you have discovered some answers. In general it's the willingness to take action to make a change in your life that is the biggest hurdle most don't overcome.
So a willingness to take action and do something rather than just settle for life within your comfort zone is a biggie.

Simple Id guess

The fact that life doesnt revolve around YOU anymore, and seeking a life of significance to help others tends to separate people, always has, always will

ta
rolf

I find it difficult to find true answers to this question.
I don't think there is anything about "us, type op people in this thread/forum" that is special.

I think the question is, what's wrong with everybody else...

Some problem lies primarily in the education system, and bad early influences, but even that can be overcome once one is old enough to make their own decisions, as that is all it is in the end, making a decision and committing to it.

A classic example is those who blame everybody, everything, circumstances, etc as to the reason they are failing, and not being able to control those things, and they continue to feel controlled, instead of changing their own situation and attitude to suceed.

"I Just Arrived On This Site"

I am supposed to say hello.
the chatroom sent me here and told me to post a proper question. So here goes...

I AM SO ATTRACTED to all of this nice investment property stuff! All you people are just giving me so much health and energy and vitality and reason to be alive!!! Thank you all so much!! I feel so young and enthused all over again !!
I have just come from one of those sad, cold, foreboding, energy draining "Retired Establishment" factories!!
Even though I was their same age (over 50's); I was just the smiling misfit there! I never ever really belonged there anyway! I have always wanted something better, but did not even know what that thing was.
Then my elderly aunty gave me a book to read. "Manual For Residential Investors"; by Jan Somers, (written in 1989). I read it time and again; it seemed to awaken a gentle flame within my heart; something I had always wanted, but never ever done. Now I finally knew what I had to do.
Then I also realised why I did not belong in that strange place; I have not yet done what I had somehow always wanted to do.
My aunty who is 95, had already told me I should just pack up my bags and leave, she was sure I would do ok because I always have. So now I have just done that very thing!!
The last straw was this event: I had taken my shirt off the other day, just sunning myself outside. I had to get some warm sun on my cold skin and 30 minutes later they sent me a breach notice for that offence; apparently I was "breaking a rule" of theirs !
As I left that "Gated Complex", I was just so happy to be walking away from there, never to return.
Those kind of places do exist! They suck the very goodness out of your own soul!
Now I hope that I can contribute to this vibrant community of lovely proper people.
Thanks for being out here. You saved my life but also my own sanity!
KInd Regards
From Wylie

"NOW I AM OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW MUCH BETTER"!!

Spot on! thats what has happened to me over the last couple of years, being 24 i constantly get the confused look i seem to have a lot more older friends these days as i don't have a lot in common with people my age :confused:

Spot on! thats what has happened to me over the last couple of years, being 24 i constantly get the confused look i seem to have a lot more older friends these days as i don't have a lot in common with people my age :confused:

Funny you should say that as I mostly related to people older than me when I was younger (teens & 20's) but now am more interested in the younger generation and how I can help them with making that difference Xenia is talking about.

Its mindset, being able to block out the gloom and doom and being able to calculate the "risk" involved with investing and mitigating that to the lowest level possible, thereby enabling you to press that button and go ahead.

Once you have done a couple deals and got a few years of tenancies under your belt its quite easy.

I must say though, that using a PM was never a must do for us.
Found it much harder managing the agent than the tenants themselves.
Seriously!

I think one must be confident in their own skin to become successful at investing. No room for hesitation or doubt, just do it! ;)

I think success and personal growth mean very different things to different people.

I think once you find something you are passionate about its hard to understand why others don't feel the same way.

I do like surrounding myself with passionate people but none of the significant people in my life right now are passionate about wealth creation or property. Their passions are the creative arts, health, the environment, words, local community, education etc.

I recently went to a funeral of a much loved woman who died in her prime and the things said at the funeral really put things in perspective for me. Her wealth was her capacity for life and connection to those around her.

I think it's about accountablility.

That you, and only you are responsible for everything you have, are, and will be in this life.

No-one else can make the decisions for you.

No-one else can make you react to a situation in a certain way.

Only you can long-term motivate yourself.

When people realize this, it can be an absolute awakening.

Those that never come to this realization will continually blame others, the government, bad luck - anyone and anything but themselves.

Not sure. Balance?

I've seen people who are ambitious but lack focus
I've seen people who focus but lack ambition
I've seen people who like to take risks but don't work hard
I've seen people who work hard but don't like to take risks
I've seen people who are determined but lack vision
I've seen people who have vision but are not determined

Not sure. Balance?

I've seen people who are ambitious but lack focus
I've seen people who focus but lack ambition
I've seen people who like to take risks but don't work hard
I've seen people who work hard but don't like to take risks