What is it you are after?

Hi all,

Im just curious as to what you all actually want to get out of this game? I see the usual signatures with "x-amount of property by yr****" and iv read peoples coments about needing to have a goal to work towards. I'll be honest im not 100% on what it is I want from property investing. I know I want to retire at a reasonable age rather than working till the pension. I guess id be happy if I was at a point where I had (eventually) positively geared IP's and this ment I could cut back to working say 3-4 days a week instead of 5-6. I like the wife to not have to work, id like a nice car, boat and PPOR which would be debt free.

Hmmm ok we'll iv just answer the question for myself hey :)

Is it the same for all at the end of the day? Less work, more cash etc etc or not? How do you know if your achieving your goals? Is it as simple as say ok now my IP's have gradually gone from -geared to neutral so there is a good sign, slowly getting there maybe?

Cheers Jas!

It's fairly simple for me. When my alarm goes off every morning and I have to put on a suit and go to work, I have the same thought every day.......I think that my life shouldn't involve this process of waking up when I don't want to, wearing clothes that I don't want to and trying to be on time for my 'boss' that I don't like.

Every weekday morning reminds me of why I invest and where I want the investments to take me.

FYI: I just read that post & I assure you that i'm not depressed, I just know what I want.

Want to be able to "purchase" a combination of good, quality time with the people I love and to be able to afford a few luxury items to complement my lifestyle.

Property isn't the only vehicle but is a better SANF then say, shares.

I wanted autonomy from my boss.

Property investing gave that to me.

I'm now retired. So far, it's all that I expected it to be.

Therefore, I'm not after anything anymore.

Great thinking Somerville - I am in the same boat as you! waking up every morning to an alarm which tells me have to get up get dressed drive in the rat race competing to get in front of each other so they can get to work earlier than me.

Then sitting down at a desk all day putting up with rubbish from the boss and people complaining about their life all the while I am dreaming about want to invest for the day that I will not be coming back anymore.

I want to be able to put my kids through uni and pay for their weddings (if they want those things). I want to be able to travel around the world. I want to be able to retire in style and enjoy my retirement, rather then living pension paycheck to paycheck.

Is it the same for all at the end of the day? Less work, more cash etc etc or not?

Being in a westernised capitalist society - yes probably.

Everyone's immediate aims will I suspect be similar.

What may differ greatly is the life beyond - what will fill your days once you reach this milestone.... I hope my days are just as busy!

Cheers,

The Y-man

We want a passive income that pays the bills so we can push on with a long-term late-payoff business idea. One paid off IP + paid off PPoR can do that for us and we can achieve this in 2-3 years.

Hi all,

Im just curious as to what you all actually want to get out of this game? I see the usual signatures with "x-amount of property by yr****" and iv read peoples coments about needing to have a goal to work towards. I'll be honest im not 100% on what it is I want from property investing. I know I want to retire at a reasonable age rather than working till the pension. I guess id be happy if I was at a point where I had (eventually) positively geared IP's and this ment I could cut back to working say 3-4 days a week instead of 5-6. I like the wife to not have to work, id like a nice car, boat and PPOR which would be debt free.

Hmmm ok we'll iv just answer the question for myself hey :)

Is it the same for all at the end of the day? Less work, more cash etc etc or not? How do you know if your achieving your goals? Is it as simple as say ok now my IP's have gradually gone from -geared to neutral so there is a good sign, slowly getting there maybe?

Cheers Jas!

Yes...for me, this amount is 1.7million in cash.

Sorry its each to their own , but 1.7 mill is not enough! from greedy craigb.

Should have finished? as you get to turnover and spend lots of money , you need lots more, i have ten years, this is when i turn 50 years old , i am aiming for at the current prices, 10 ips, val at $400,000 each with an equity component of 25% this will allow me to stop work and my wife, and as they grow in value will become more positive geared at the same time , because we cant for get we have to pay tax on this money too!

1.7M .... sheesh ... we're looking at $90k for the IP and $150k for the PPoR and we currently have a mere $160k in equity we need to turn into cold hard cash. Have to come up with the difference ourselves or just let the rent take care of it ...

When my alarm goes off every morning and I have to put on a suit and go to work, I have the same thought every day.......I think that my life shouldn't involve this process of waking up when I don't want to, wearing clothes that I don't want to and trying to be on time for my 'boss' that I don't like.

Every weekday morning reminds me of why I invest and where I want the investments to take me.

...waking up every morning to an alarm which tells me have to get up get dressed drive in the rat race competing to get in front of each other so they can get to work earlier than me.

Then sitting down at a desk all day putting up with rubbish from the boss and people complaining about their life all the while I am dreaming about want to invest for the day that I will not be coming back anymore.

Maybe it is not investing you need right now, but a new occupation? :)

I used to be like this - but these days, I don't need the alarm to get up on most mornings - excited to get up and get going to the office. I dress how I want (comfortably) and leave home after all the other people have got off the road..... the funny thing is this - I didn't actually change jobs (or my workplace) - I changed me and my outlook on my job. I figured I needed the job to get to where I wanted, and the job needed me (otherwise why am I there?) - so we came to a happy compromise. Now I am not for one minute saying there aren't some challenging days! However, once I got into the mindset of "me ltd." - i.e. myself as a "business" selling my time and expertise to the company, my perspective has changed. I try to upsell things I can offer. I negotiate harder for my "revenue" and "profits", but rather interestingly work a lot harder too!

Cheers,

The Y-man

You know, I would probably enjoy my job much much more if I didn't need to go there. It's not so much the work, it's mainly the fact that I HAVE to go there. I need to be there and make sure the boss it happy with me so that I will receive my next pay cheque. I want to write my own pay cheque and I would probably actually enjoy my current job if I didn't rely on it.

The goal for us has been to achieve financial freedom as soon as possible.

To have the freedom to work if we choose, not because we have to.

To improve our (residual passive) income and lifestyle by replacing our PAYE income with investment income, and to increase it.

Like many others I am just chasing the freedom and security that financial independence gives you. Once I reach that stage I can focus on the things I REALLY want in life :)

Being wealthly to me will hopefully mean I'm also healthy. Having the freedom to spend your days going to the gym and being active whilst buying the expensive health foods is my main hope one day.

Sure I could go to the gym after work and still eat healthy in the meantime, but nothing beats getting up late, working out, making a nice organic chicken salad wrap then playing 9 holes of golf before 5pm.....Mon-Fri

1.7M .... sheesh ... we're looking at $90k for the IP and $150k for the PPoR and we currently have a mere $160k in equity we need to turn into cold hard cash. Have to come up with the difference ourselves or just let the rent take care of it ...

Yeah, I know the feeling...but I'll keep persisting...buy and hold is king!!!! AND hopefully, one day, in the not too distant boom, KAPOW!!! House prices double and I'm a millionaire..on my way, but this is some years off yet...:D

How many properties do you need or how much does your portfolio need to be worth in order to fund your wealthy lifestyle?

We're building the portfolio for the Lifestyle Choices we can make in the future, taking the kids to school each day rather than once every blue moon sounds like fun ;)

How about waking up in the morning and having the choice of what to do each day :D

I don't like to think of it as looking forward to retirement, its almost like putting one foot in the grave; after retirement comes death.....so keep active :cool:

Look forward to hearing about more people on SS getting off the rat race, it keeps me running with a goal in front

images

Back