what is really behind the current indian hatred of australia?

team leader for sewing dept. My wife and her friends felt her behaviour rasist.
Are they wrong? Or just perception?

Hard to say - the TL might be like that to anyone outside "her little group" - but in any case, I think your wife should bring it up with management (above the TL). If she is uncomfortable doing so alone (understandable), it might help if any others who have been on the receiving end of the TL's behaviour to go along.

She doesn't necessarily need to ask for "hard action" - but even a heads up for management could be very useful. After all, other people may have complained about the person before.

She should approach the HR dept in any case - as large companies will almost definitely have policies in place for harrasment and discrimination.

The Y-man

Impossible to say given information. Could have been more motivated by moving the umbrella to where TL's superiors are (ie brown nosing) rather than race based.

It isnt a beat up by India. We have a relative who is Sri Lankan. He travelled on public transport in Melbourne in December, and the number of loud conversations he heard that started with "I am not racist but......." He lives in Adelaide and has never experienced anything as nasty as what he heard over a few days in Melbourne. If you think there is no racial discrimination in Melbourne (and maybe Sydney, I dont know) then you are obviously white.

And comments like "I dont mind Indians" are racist too. Because they imply that the person is being 'nice' in not minding them - that there is a reason that perhaps they may 'mind them' just because of their origin.

I am a WASP by the way. Yes, people of all nationalities commit crimes, but there is an undercurrent of racial discrimination that in some idiot circles results in tragedy.

Our Universities need the high fee paying students in order to help fund the number of "reduced fee" paying HECS Australian students. Uni fees would be much higher if the International student disappeared.

The thing that's kinda sad is that race is just an excuse that many people use. When you see a group of people from a common background hanging around and causing trouble, it's very easy to brand it a race thing, when in reality it's just a pack of idiots.

Of course, this scenario could easily be a bunch of drunk Aussies making a scene on a Contiki trip, or a group of Lebanese hoons dropping burnouts in their modified cars. Just as examples.

People with different backgrounds have different perceptions of what is acceptable - and that goes both ways. I think a lot of the 'racism' we see is simply one group who is unhappy or offended by the behaviour of another.

Once it degenerates to violence, however, it needs to be stamped out quickly.

We have a relative who is Sri Lankan. He travelled on public transport in Melbourne in December, and the number of loud conversations he heard that started with "I am not racist but......." He lives in Adelaide and has never experienced anything as nasty as what he heard over a few days in Melbourne.

My husband and I were travelling on a tram in Melbourne a few years ago and spotted a couple of lads close by aged about 14 both with darkish skin of ? background aggressively kicking the seating and small cabin in the tram.

As the other passengers looked alarmed my tall well built husband felt comfortable calling 'Hey stop it'. Neither of us thought they were 'antisocial ethnic kids' just 'antisocial kids'.

Both glared back and one called 'shut up you skip'.

We thought that was interesting as it's something we've never been called or heard used here in Adelaide.

My husband and I were travelling on a tram in Melbourne a few years ago and spotted a couple of lads close by aged about 14 both with darkish skin of ? background aggressively kicking the seating and small cabin in the tram.

As the other passengers looked alarmed my tall well built husband felt comfortable calling 'Hey stop it'. Neither of us thought they were 'antisocial ethnic kids' just 'antisocial kids'.

Both glared back and one called 'shut up you skip'.

We thought that was interesting as it's something we've never been called or heard used here in Adelaide.

Just kids being idiots. It happens. If it were me I'd start skipping, just to irritate them.

Just kids being idiots. It happens. If it were me I'd start skipping, just to irritate them.

'Just kids' being more than just idiots. They were alarming to the others on the tram hence why my husband piped in.

Calling my husband skip did make us think though that people in Melbourne may be more sensitive in their dealings with other nationalities.

It was a crowded train so skipping would have proved a little difficult :p.

And comments like "I dont mind Indians" are racist too. Because they imply that the person is being 'nice' in not minding them - that there is a reason that perhaps they may 'mind them' just because of their origin.

Stop trying to be politically correct. I actually like Indian people so don't try to make me look like a raciest against Indian people as I'm totally not. Just because my wording was not politically correct for your likening then it does not mean I'm a raciest. People do look at certain groups by their nationality, it is a fact of life. If I see a group of English people then I see a group of English people, it doesn't mean I like them or don't like them it's just a fact of life. Now if I said I don't like that person as he is from England then that is a different story. The world is becoming too politically correct and I'm sick of it. We should be able to say what we think and not be so scared to say what is on our minds.

Heaven help us if we think it is ok to say whatever we like.And gosh I don't actually like all Australians so saying I don't mind a particular group of racially identifiable people is just well silly. And whatever you think, it is racist.

Indian students in Melbourne tend to work in vulnerable jobs and (particularly those from the upper middle class in the Indian cotext) tend to enjoy displaying their trinkets (mobile phones, gold jewellery). Not a great combination.

I might add that when I hear of a stabbing with nothing stolen, I tend to think personal grievance before I think race crime. What makes people think a violent racist with a knife has no interest in someone's wallet?

Finally, the Indian press can lecture the world on race and violence when:

(a) social tiering based on the colour of your skin isn't tolerated in India. The caste system is culturally acceptable racism..nothing more, nothing less; and
(b) the murder of women and young girls as a result of dowry disputes, being widowed or engaging in a relationship outside of their caste is more common in Europe than it is on the sub-continent.

Hi

My experience in Australia

Being an Indian,I lived in Melbourne for around five years and never once felt discriminated against or racially abused. In fact I joined a major Australian company as a junior entry level position and rose to a middle management position fairly quickly. Yes there were jeers and taunts but all in good humor

Australia has given me an opportunity that I could never have dreamed of, I cannot find anything to complain about. I love the way we work, the fact that I can have a fair go if I tried hard enough, the fact that no one can discriminate against me because of my origin. Being able to have a great job with decent wages and having a safe working environment. A country where the taxes we pay are put to better use than most other nations.

Having been to many local Somersoft meetings in Melbourne (aka Kristine, Y man, Spiderman, Gerd, Peter, Rolf, Anna and many others).......I have always been encouraged and never once made to feel different.

I am now an Australian citizen and a very proud one at that, I am aware of my Indian roots and my culture. Mixing this with modern Australian values is a deadly combination for success in life. Its a fantastic feeling.....I staunchly believe in what Australia stands for

I understand the need to assimilate, but at the same time assimilation does not mean partaking in every frivolity that we as Aussies are associated with.

Indian students

In the last two years of my stay in Melbourne, I have noticed an increase in the number of Indian students. I lived in Laverton (Melbourne west). 90% of these students are misled about their studies. People who get them on to these courses concentrate on and market stuff like

1.Permanent residence is virtually guaranteed after their studies
2.The welfare system will take care of their basic needs
3.Free Medicals
4.Easy jobs
5.Good income
etc etc

BUT NO ONE ACTUALLY TELLS THEM ABOUT THE MERITS OF AN AUSTRALIAN EDUCATION, and what it can do to their careers globally.
So most of these students come here to pursue a perceived better life. You get a mix of poor students who since have taken on huge loans and virtually will do anything to support themselves in Oz. You see them at servos, checkouts, grocery stores and the like..... Some of them are from ethnic minorities in India who have never been to a city before in their lives (Thats the reach and tools that educational marketing gurus have).

They land here without any orienteering about the country, not having enough language skills (Any one can pass the IELTS with a band 6......a requirement to prove competence in English) therefore they stick together in clusters and are looked upon as a threat by some local lads as they always speak in local lingo and move around in groups. They follow the herd....live together, work in the same occupations, eat in the same restaurants.

Where is the opportunity to learn about Australian culture and mannerisms. Even the colleges they go to are filled with international students????

About the cartoons that appeared in Indian papers

Not worth writing anything about .......Plain stupid

Coppers in Oz are fair, just and extremely helpfull

Even though many Indians will not agree with me but here are some facts

"India has around 26 different states......Each state has reservations for jobs, educational institutions, medical treatment based on ethnicity, race and religion, caste and creed. Racism is an accepted practice sadly so go figure"

Conclusion

I feel that some of these attacks are race driven, also its a situation about being in the wrong place at the wrong time

I strongly believe the some one has to look more closely at our educational institutions and the methodology of recruiting students. If we continue on this path of putting commercial interests above anything else, we will have an unbalanced society leading to the alienation of minorities

Last edited:
Great post paisneil. Agree completely. The best thing that could happen is if many students do not come here and these crappy 'insitutions' close down. You can be an institution for anything thses days and many of them are run by sharks.

Whilst the Indian newspaper portrayal of our police as members of the KKK reaction is a complete overreaction and does little than to exaserbate emotions on both sides, let's see when the shoe was on the other foot.

When Britt Lapthorne tragically disappeared and was later found dead, did not the Australian media portray the local police and investigation as shoddy, amateurish, unprofessional and even worse. It may have well been the case, but the reaction in that case and in the recent Nitin Garg murder is an understandable emotional reaction to a tragic and very sad outcome.

And let's not forget some of the commentary in the Schapelle Corby case about the Indonesian system of justice.

Agree, both form indiviudals 'on the street' and from media etc.

lizzie you may see the attacks as not racially motivated, but surely that's all, you see them that way, not they 100% are that way. Surely you cant know any more than I who is not so sure that they are not.

Pully - You are kidding right? You pick one case of an Inidan Student who runs over someone and you use it to justify your overall stance. Crazy stuff.

People, white, black, yellow etc commit crimes everyday and run for the hills.

Until you have been a minority you will never know what prejudice is.

If you are in a minority then you should know better.

I was just gonna give you kudo's cause I couldn't think of much to add, but not allowed as I gave them yo you on your previous post.

Indian students in Melbourne tend to work in vulnerable jobs and (particularly those from the upper middle class in the Indian cotext) tend to enjoy displaying their trinkets (mobile phones, gold jewellery). Not a great combination.

I might add that when I hear of a stabbing with nothing stolen, I tend to think personal grievance before I think race crime. What makes people think a violent racist with a knife has no interest in someone's wallet?

Finally, the Indian press can lecture the world on race and violence when:
(a) social tiering based on the colour of your skin isn't tolerated in India. The caste system is culturally acceptable racism..nothing more, nothing less; and
(b) the murder of women and young girls as a result of dowry disputes, being widowed or engaging in a relationship outside of their caste is more common in Europe than it is on the sub-continent.

India should be allowed to have the same freedom in its reaction as we would afford ourselves.

If something happens which outrages Austrlia, we feel we shold be allowed to react, ala the Schappelle Corby case. If we are as good and fair as we thnk we are the obvious thing is toallow India the same righ tand not say what we like but when India / someone sayas something we don't like about us that we say you're not perfect so shutup"

Perfhaps showing a bit of care and confronting the isse rather than bellittling it would help - if you beleive the Inaians are rasonable enought to listen that is....

Hi all,
I’ve watched the racism for years, it does exist.

Indian students do not assimilate with Australians,

Why not?

I can think of a number of cultures who dont assimilate, or learn our language to a workable level.

Now, speaking of racism......

If we (Aussies) are not worth assimilating with, and not worth learning the language to communicate with, then why do they bother to leave their "home" and come to Aus?

AAAH! Because ours is a great Country.

Heaven help us if we think it is ok to say whatever we like.And gosh I don't actually like all Australians so saying I don't mind a particular group of racially identifiable people is just well silly. And whatever you think, it is racist.

You just said you don't like all Australians so you have just done exactly what you are moaning about. ALong with that you have admitted you are a WASP...

..applied to people with histories in the upper class Northeastern establishment, who were alleged to form a powerful elite
Quoted from Wiki

So obviously you think your a little bit better than most other people and you don't mind putting others down! ;)

Last edited:

it is ok to say whatever you like. that's what freedom of speech is about.

saying that, people should have manners, and think before they say something, cause an answer might come in a punch

Back