what is really behind the current indian hatred of australia?

You just said you don't like all Australians so you have just done exactly what you are moaning about. ALong with that you have admitted you are a WASP...

Quoted from Wiki

So obviously you think your a little bit better than most other people and you don't mind putting others down! ;)

Wow, what one person gets compared to another.

Just to through the cat in with the canaries....
when I was at uni some 20+ years ago I was doing an assignment on racism in australia and found that the kkk did exist here in the 60s and was run by the local coppers ( in a town that shall remain nameless). whether it is still here ? dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised. Racism is a constant undercurrent in this country that never ceases to surprise and sadden me.

There are some parts of the world that, once visited, get into your heart and wont go.
For me, India is such a place. When I first visited, I was stunned by the richness of the land, by its lush beauty and exotic architecture, by its ability to overload the senses with the pure, concentrated intensity of its colors, smells, tastes, and sounds.
It was as if all my life I had been seeing the world in black and white and, when brought face-to-face with India, experienced everything re-rendered in brilliant technicolor.

(~ Keith Bellows (Vice-President, National Geographic Society).

...and:

Where can we look for sages like those whose systems of philosophy were prototypes of those of Greece: to whose works Plato, Thales and Pythagorus were disciples? Where do I find astronomers whose knowledge of planetary systems yet excites wonder in Europe as well as the architects and sculptors whose works claim our admiration, and the musicians who could make the mind oscillate from joy to sorrow, from tears to smile with the change of modes and varied intonation?

(~Colonel James Todd -American pioneer)

Whether crimes against Indians are racially motivated or not, is not an either/or matter....

As if an upper middle class uni educated senior public servant has blind freddy's chance of knowing what motivates a malevolent 16 yo on the streets at midnight.

And for the Aust. Govt and police to paint a picture that crime is EITHER racially motivated OR NOT, is the height of stupidity and diplomatic blunder headed arrogance.....it is offensive to all, especially those being bashed and stabbed to death.

The Indian polies and media are calling it for what it is. and I support them in doing so.

The govt and police need to concern themselves less with ludicrous dumb 'Yes Minister' face saving, and focus more on keeping our streets safe, no matter one's skin colour. Maybe a few polies should move from Toorak and Sth Yarra over to the inner west. They then might start allocating law enforcement resources where law enforcement is needed. If there's a higher risk of the more vulnerable being bashed at night, then why aren't the police managing that risk appropriately?

I think Indians have a right to be p*ssed off. Australia is sucking $16b a year out of foreign tertiary students, and how much of this makes its way into law enforcement?

This is a continuation of the selfishness, greed, and smug apathy demonstrated by our govt in permitting our education industry to become peppered with shoddy rip off merchants fleecing vulnerable and naive foreign kids. .....it was contemptible that Julia Guillard acted surprised that this might have been happening, and that she is now, all of a sudden, determined to get to the bottom of it.

I think the best thing Indian students can do is vote with their dollar.....and head off to Canada until Australia wakes up to itself. The hit to the 16b export income is unfortunately the only thing that will motivate a govt and electorate as enlightened as ours.

Racism unfortunaltely exists in Australia.....it has just gotten more subtle. Having said that India also has this.

The incidents we are seeing here is more economic.....the young Indian students are willing to anything to survive and succeed in Australia. They have the pressure of knowing that a lot of people pooled money together to get them here.

On the other hand some of the native born Australian (all nationalities) particularly the ones who have poor skills don't like these people who will work any job and tolerate what locals would call sub-standard conditions. People in Australia have to realise this the competition we will face from Asian countries including India we will face both in and out of the country in the future. So people get your skating shoes on an invest in property!!;)

This nothing new it happened with the Greeks, Italians, Vietnamese, Lebanese, and Chinese. As the Indians are the new kids on the block this will happen and will eventually settle down. Just looks at where the Indians are at in the UK now...quite a few are billionaires and some of them run the largest UK companies.

But if I was a betting man....some things can be done like:

1. The Federal government needs to accept that Racism in Australia exists rather than covering things up or watering things down. Perhaps....bringing strong hate law legislation like the UK would help.

2. Start teaching the strengths of diversity in the schools.

3. Recruit more people in jobs like the police, armed forces, councils, etc.

4. Television shows with local content in this country does not reflect the ethnic diversity of this country. Channel 7 and 9 seem to be controlled by bigots who produce shows for borderline idiots and confirm stereo types. Have you seen many Asian faces on local shows?

Finally, for Anglo-Saxon majority whilst this country was built with English values over time values will change as people from all over the world come here. Fundamentally the old English Westminister system and laws will be the basis but some changes will be made.

There is nothing you and I can do to change this as change is the only constant. Having said that ......I also don't think we will be going down the Sharia law path either....thank god for that!

So now back to Indians....yes it is terrrible but I suspect given the importance of India....the Feds will be working overtime to sort it. As Indians and Chinese will make probably 20% of the population of Australia within the next 20 years.

In the meantime I will dissect how to target this particular market (Chiness and Indians) from a property perspective.;)

The best thing that could happen is if many students do not come here and these crappy 'insitutions' close down. You can be an institution for anything thses days and many of them are run by sharks.
Most Indians come to "study" here with the aim of getting permanent residency, I don't blame them as India is a poor country. When will the pollies show some balls and shutdown these shonky "education institutions". These scums are getting filthy rich at the expense of ordinary decent aussies, we are suffering because of overcrowding, sharp house price increases etc etc, I don't want my children go to uni and feel like they are studying in a third world country. Most Indians are decent people, but they are still foreigners, and we should have a say how many foreigners we let in at any one time, not the pollies, or the scums who running these shonky immigration backdoors.

You just said you don't like all Australians so you have just done exactly what you are moaning about. ALong with that you have admitted you are a WASP...

Quoted from Wiki

Admitted? It is what I am - white, anglosaxon, protestant. Not sure why you think this is an 'aha' moment. I said that so that those who don't 'know' me wouldn't accuse me of being an 'Indian' in disguise, because I was discussing a different point of view to others. Obviously you didn't understand that.

How can anyone say 'they like ABC race?' Every race is made up of a group of individuals, some of whom you will like, some of whom you will dislike. To say you 'like' a particular racial group is racist. You are basing your 'likedness' or in your case 'dont mindedness' on racial grounds, and not individual grounds.

So obviously you think your a little bit better than most other people and you don't mind putting others down! ;)

Better than others? :confused: I just dont like insidous racist comments.

Jackhammer,

You are correct about shutting down the "shonky" educational institutions. Both the federal and state government organisations have been very slow in shutting down the shonks....whats new....just look at the hospitals and roads. And I get very annoyed when they say they have not money....they do it is just they are incompotent as they get overcharged.!

Just a couple of corrections:

1. Your children are not being disadvantaged in any way so long as they have the marks to get into the appropriate Universities. Some universites are relying on full fee paying foreign students who pay up to 30K per annum to make place for local students.

2. The so called foreigners are not poor as they now need to show that they have funds depositied into an account to finance their study. Also new immigrants have no access to welfare for two years. Most immigrants come to Australia with significant funds....just to immigrate here could cost up to 30k for a family!

3. As for over crowding been to Asia or Europe or even North America lately.....we can't say that we are over crowded. Things change and we will need to change as lifestyles have changes....not everyone can have a 900sqm block. That is the way life is...

Also I am came here as a "foreigner" in 1990...and for that matter unless you are Aboriginal....we are ALL foreigners to Australia.

Sorry to jump on my high horse.....but nobody owes anyone a living. You children will need to learn to compete again the Asian neighours. Thus why I want to play it smater by investing in property. We have 3.5 billion people North West to us in Asia......we will become increasingly reliant on them buying our Agricultural and Mining produce...so it maybe a bit rich to tell them that they are not welcome from an immigration standpoint.

Let me assure that no government in Australia is going to stop immigration...for that matter even reduce it. Why.....because the consequences of it would be catostrophic for the economy!

The masses can carry on....but it will fall on deaf years.....just look at what the libs did with immigration when they were in power. They talked a game of being "Xenophobic" but the truth was that the immigrants numbers increased substantially during the Howard years.

Most Indians come to "study" here with the aim of getting permanent residency, I don't blame them as India is a poor country. When will the pollies show some balls and shutdown these shonky "education institutions". These scums are getting filthy rich at the expense of ordinary decent aussies, we are suffering because of overcrowding, sharp house price increases etc etc, I don't want my children go to uni and feel like they are studying in a third world country. Most Indians are decent people, but they are still foreigners, and we should have a say how many foreigners we let in at any one time, not the pollies, or the scums who running these shonky immigration backdoors.

Nice post. Not. And people ask if there is racism in Australia.:rolleyes:

India is not a poor country, it is a developing country and one of the reasons why it isn't a developed country is that it was hindered by years of British control.
Shut down shonky education institutions? You do realise you are talking about every Australian University, don't you? And any other shonky ones that exist are designed specifically to rip off and rort overseas students.
Scums, at the expense of decent Australians? Apart from being an offensive comment, you do realise that the fees extracted from overseas students help pay for Australian citizens to receive University education. Shut down the overseas student programmes and say goodbye to cheap HECS fees!
Do ya really think the Politicians are embroiled in shonky immigration programmes?

Yep, sash, you beat me to it.

1. Your children are not being disadvantaged in any way so long as they have the marks to get into the appropriate Universities. Some universites are relying on full fee paying foreign students who pay up to 30K per annum to make place for local students.

Sorry but this may have been true 10 years ago, however the current situation is a bit different. I left my post grad degree at what is considered Australia's number 1 university as I was forced in several classes to undertake group work with only international students (class of 40 - 5 non international students in class - we were told specifically we were not to be in the same group as each other). This was a disadvantage because a) I was working fulltime (as were 3 of the other 4 non international students) and had a set schedule of when I could do group projects (opposite times of what international students wanted to do) b ) a high percentage of international students did not have a solid grasp of the english language (at least not to the level required to complete a postgraduate paper).
Australian students are now at a disadvantage due to the high number of international students in some degrees - however this is not the fault of international students, rather the Universities themselves (and their lack of desire to enforce language requirements etc)

Well the Forbes billionaire list has India having more billionaires than mainland China. Also, the there about 200m Indians who have a standard of living similar to Australians.....but another 400m living in poverty....but that is changing also.

I am sick of the "ugly" Aussie.....they are increasingly an embarrassment to Australia. I see these idiots in my travels around the world.....these bogans seem to have no cultural sensitivities. The world is a changing....if they don't like the NEW multi-cultural Australia......perhaps it is they hohave to consider leaving....because things will continue to change.....just like it has over the last 100 years. The Greeks, Yugoslavs and Italians were the first wave....then the Vietnamese, Chinese, & Lebanese....now the Indians. Such is life!

I for one like the NEW Australia....great lifestyle......lots of nice restaurants....very cosmopolitan....and one of the best countries to build wealth and a future for the family! Perhaps....that is why so many immigrants come.........

India is not a poor country, it is a developing country and one of the reasons why it isn't a developed country is that it was hindered by years of British control.

Yep, sash, you beat me to it.

Does racism exist in Australia? Yes! Racism exist in in every country I have visited and that's quite a few.
Have I felt a victim of racism? Yes many times. I basically live with it on a daily basis.
Have I personally had racist attitudes through ignorance of not understanding? Yes. The more I've travelled the more I've learnt to understand the differences in culture.

One of the problems with cries of racism in a multi cultural society like Australia is who is doing it? If we examine the current situation and I can only do this from reports coming into Japan and what I have read here a few questions need to be asked. If the victim has been stabbed by non indian person whether they are white anglo saxon, aboriginal or another ethnicity does it mean it was a racist attack or was it an attack of opportunity on a sole person walking around at night. If the attacker is found out to be another Indian then what?

When something like this happens in Australia to an international student the image portrayed to the rest of the world is that Australians are white anglo-saxon racists. Some other countries can not comprehend that Australia is a multicultural country with 25% or more of the population having parents or grand parents from other countries. In Australia there is a lot of conflict between different cultural groups not originating from Australia and at times tensions can be very very high. One ethnic group attacking another ethnic group is often portrayed overseas as Australia being a racist country. The same applies if a person of different ethnicity to white anglo-saxon attacks an international student the overseas media only sees an Australian and a white anglo-saxon Australian doing the attacking.

Racism does exist and no matter how hard we try unfortunately it will always exist to some extent. What is needed is to acknowledge straight up that yes it does exist the same as everywhere else and we are working on it.

On a different note. A survey by one university that had a major problems with some international students found that the international students had suffered more bullying and harassment from their own ethnic group than others. When followed up further the same situations was found to exist in quite a few other groups as well. International students were requesting to be moved from sharing accommodation with their own ethnicity to other groups to get away from it. In one year their were 6 reported cases of rape of internation students by other international students yet no reports of any rapes by non international students on international students. Yes there may have been unreported cases of rape by non international students on international students and not saying it doesn't happen.

Please don't see the above as an attack on international students. Im just showing that there are different situations and circumstances at hand and things do and will occur everywhere.

Looks like you have answered your own question......language is important. The issue is to do with University not the International students.

My question would be ......their reluctance to uphold standards is going to make their degrees useless in the future because of poor quality control. Very similar to what is happening to our health and infrastructure.

Again....a state or federal government issue not a international student issue. I got my degrees in the US in the 80.....they upheld their standards. If your work was not standard you failed. Simple as that!

Sorry but this may have been true 10 years ago, however the current situation is a bit different. I left my post grad degree at what is considered Australia's number 1 university as I was forced in several classes to undertake group work with only international students (class of 40 - 5 non international students in class - we were told specifically we were not to be in the same group as each other). This was a disadvantage because a) I was working fulltime (as were 3 of the other 4 non international students) and had a set schedule of when I could do group projects (opposite times of what international students wanted to do) b ) a high percentage of international students did not have a solid grasp of the english language (at least not to the level required to complete a postgraduate paper).
Australian students are now at a disadvantage due to the high number of international students in some degrees - however this is not the fault of international students, rather the Universities themselves (and their lack of desire to enforce language requirements etc)

Good point.....a lot of the racism is directed by first generation immigrants - i.e. Greeks, Yugoslavs, Italians, Eastern Europeans, Arabs, Chinese, Indians, Lebanese.....and not neccessarily just Anglo-Australians. Their children are more comfortable with people of other backgrounds. Unfortunately, there is some evidence of people of certain backgrounds congregating in one suburb....but even this dissapated in the second generation.

I do not see alot of tension between ethnic groups....but there is some issues in the minority. The other issue is that cultural sensitivies need to be understood by all....and respected....whilst existing under on rule of law.

Personally, I think the racism in Australia is more economic rather than deep ....like the US.

The good news is that there is more inter cultural marriages.....this will breed out a lot of the racism over time....

When something like this happens in Australia to an international student the image portrayed to the rest of the world is that Australians are white anglo-saxon racists. Some other countries can not comprehend that Australia is a multicultural country with 25% or more of the population having parents or grand parents from other countries. In Australia there is a lot of conflict between different cultural groups not originating from Australia and at times tensions can be very very high. One ethnic group attacking another ethnic group is often portrayed overseas as Australia being a racist country. The same applies if a person of different ethnicity to white anglo-saxon attacks an international student the overseas media only sees an Australian and a white anglo-saxon Australian doing the attacking.

Racism does exist and no matter how hard we try unfortunately it will always exist to some extent. What is needed is to acknowledge straight up that yes it does exist the same as everywhere else and we are working on it.

Just to through the cat in with the canaries....
when I was at uni some 20+ years ago I was doing an assignment on racism in australia and found that the kkk did exist here in the 60s and was run by the local coppers ( in a town that shall remain nameless). whether it is still here ? dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised. Racism is a constant undercurrent in this country that never ceases to surprise and sadden me.

Unfortunately, tht is how I have always felt too bout my home.

Back