What is required to change zoning from Residential to Commercial?

I'm looking at buying a house which is currently zoned residential 3 (for units) & I wish to change the zoning to Commercial. This house is located on a arterial road with all commercial zoned properties on the other side & commercial zoned properties on my side where house is except for a section of about 6 properties; of which this house belongs to. It's very likely that in the near future this zoning will convert to commercial.

I've heard of others who have changed the zoning over & then revalued the property & as a result it's now worth so much more.

I will be investigating this matter with my local Council, but wanted to get any feedback from SS.

i doubt if you can, these concils, spend years and millions on the zoning, and i don't think one little pea would change the salad,

Yes, good luck with that. I've been a 'development control' planner for over 15 years and I have never seen any 'strategic' planner get behind an individual rezoning proposal promulgated by someone outside Council staff....sorry.

Yes, good luck with that. I've been a 'development control' planner for over 15 years and I have never seen any 'strategic' planner get behind an individual rezoning proposal promulgated by someone outside Council staff....sorry.

So does that mean if I come and work for Council, you can do an inside job for me????:)

Hi BigCol,

Sounds like there is enough precedent there. Check with council if they have any plans to re-zone the precinct as part of their town plan strategy.

As others have mentioned doing a solo job is hard work and, will likely require deep pockets.

If you have plans to develop or at least get a DA, perhaps within the current zoning (and in light of the precedent all around as you mention), you could look at a hybrid project where you have some office/retail on the ground floor and residential above that. Still satisfying the resi zoning now, however also pushing your case for the precedent all around you.

Do post back what you decided and learnt from council. Wouldn't hurt to visit a local town planner (or two) also who is independant of the council and get their view.

Good luck :)

Hi BigCol

You haven't said what purpose you want to rezone for

Is this simply because you think that the zoning will vaguely add value, or do you have a particular project in mind?

Res 3 is a good zoning. Most 'houses' along main road have Permits to operate, rather than rezoning

Residential zonings include many ancillary uses eg child care centres, consulting rooms, churches, food outlets etc - all the activities which you would expect to find in and supportive of a residential area

Dormitory suburbs still have to have services, and these services simply need a Permit, which then runs with the property until it is no longer needed ie cancelled for another permit

My Bank, even though in a main street cbd shopping precinct, is zoned Public Use - I had to get a permit for Retail activities - seems strange but originally the Council had the site reserved for use as a nursery depot and when they sold the site to the Hotham Building Society the Society simply applied for a permit to operate a bank rather than a rezoning. I later applied for a permit to operate a retail business and this permit is still all that is needed.

By thinking about rezoning you may be using a bat to swat a fly!

The first thing to do is to check the Planning On Line facility and read the Planning Ordinance to see what is an ancillary use in the zoning.

You may be able to do what you want to do, anyway, very simply and without much fuss.

Cheers
Kristine

Is it really this difficult???

Just read this old thread with a heavy heart.

We have two blocks of land joined together running up a main road a heart beat away from Gallipoli Barracks, Enoggera.

There is a property on each block.

Total size is circa 1200m2 with three street frontage.

I thought it might not be a big deal applying for rezoning to Commercial.

But after reading these older posts it seems to be an extremely difficult thing to do!!

We would of course be dealing with Brisbane City Council.

Any thoughts now we are in 2014???

You don't rezone land, you change its use. It then gets rezoned at the next new plan if they want more of that in that area, probably 2025-2030 now.

Send me a PM with the address and I will answer back here sans identifying info.

The blocks are 245m from centre zoned land, further than the 200m allowed to split them into 300m lots, but given their proximity to the barracks this may also be a possibility.

The local plan indicates a preference for a new access to the barracks from Samford Rd, but that is council wishing compared to what the military does.

A commercial development has prospects on this site. It is not a given as there is some centre zoned land up the road. But the 3 street frontage is very promising, as is the proximity to the barracks and the large number of properties to the south that do not have access to commercial facilities within a 400m walk.

The blocks are 245m from centre zoned land, further than the 200m allowed to split them into 300m lots, but given their proximity to the barracks this may also be a possibility.

The local plan indicates a preference for a new access to the barracks from Samford Rd, but that is council wishing compared to what the military does.

A commercial development has prospects on this site. It is not a given as there is some centre zoned land up the road. But the 3 street frontage is very promising, as is the proximity to the barracks and the large number of properties to the south that do not have access to commercial facilities within a 400m walk.

Me again RPI. What does centre zoned land mean please??

Was there today. They have built new gates in Lloyd street and are currently building the new Pass Office. The old Pass Office is now a recruiting centre so I am positive for a long time the gates will remain in Lloyd Street.

Last edited:
Back