what is so bad about maisonnettes??

Hi guys. I have read on here that investors like to steer clear of maisonnettes unless they can buy the pair. What is so bad with buying just one? I know there is a shared wall to condend with but this would be no different than any unit purchase, and there are no strata fees.

I'd love to hear from people who own maisonnettes and what challenges they face.

Thanks heaps!

Anyone outside of SA doesn't know what a maisonette is btw, modern name is 'duplex'.

You can't knock down and redevelop them

If you want to reroof/paint/do other outside work you would be advised to check with the neighbour first in case they object to your colours

If the neighbour wants to do same you may find they want YOU to match (grandmother had this issue, fortunately the neighbour was so anal about it he actually rendered and painted her side of the house too)

The ones in the country or even older suburbs tend to be on extremely deep but narrow blocks so you can't usually develop hammerhead/unit at the rear style because of the frontage, but you can do it easily if you get the pair

Also the old ones are just generally small pokey little things :)

Ex-trust maisonettes are everywhere in SA. They're enthusiastically knocking them down in pairs all over the place, in Whyalla there's a crazy number of them for sale (I swear half of Whyalla is maisonettes) but even more are being knocked down and 4 homettes being built where the original pair was. The trust was leaving one half vacant for years while waiting for the other half to get empty before they'd knock the pair down so you'd get serious vandalism of the empty half.

Oh yeah, its also not good for the value/rentability of your half when someone burns down the other half. Which happens surprisingly often in the areas that have those old maisonettes in.

Modern duplexes are a bit different just because they tend to be on much smaller blocks so you couldn't develop them if you wanted to so that removes the temptation, and they are MUCH bigger inside than the old ones.

^ ^ What RE said.

Though I have seen instances where the owner of one has demolished their half. They'd have to cover the cost of installing a new wall, roof finishing to the remaining half that doesn't belong to them though. Not the best look either. :eek:

But this is coming from the perspective of a house buyer. If you were a keen buyer of units, then you'd probably have very little issue with buying a semi.

Hi guys. I have read on here that investors like to steer clear of maisonnettes unless they can buy the pair. What is so bad with buying just one? I know there is a shared wall to condend with but this would be no different than any unit purchase, and there are no strata fees.

I'd love to hear from people who own maisonnettes and what challenges they face.

Thanks heaps!

Hi Happy
Is there any chance you can actually buy the pair?

I own 2 maisonettes, only 1 maisonette was on the market at the time and I approached the owner of the other and managed to buy both, they are in Melbourne.

Am now putting together plans and permits for 8 unit site, one way of adding value.

If you are able to do this you need to find out zoning etc. to find out what you can actually do with the land.

Cheers, MTR

And the new ones. God they are like practising being in a coffin for eternity.
I've never been in one of the replacement ones they're building everywhere - they seem bigger from the outside but it might just be the more 'modern' floorplan. I do like to go nosying in half-built houses and you're right, some are painfully small, particularly ones they've done on a very tight subdivision.

My grandparents have an ex-trust semi they actually bought from the trust years ago and it is SO small. When Harvey Norman opened in Whyalla the reaction from most people was htf were they going to sell the massive furniture they had with so many trust houses in the town.

My house is small too but compared to the trust semis it is quite palatial :)

Back