What is the cheapest way to post stuff in Auss???

Considering buying boxes of cheap goodies here in China, shipping them bulk to a mate in Auss and have him ship individual boxes to family and friends. Would be ideal for Christmas.

PROBLEM is that AussPost charges a minimum of $7.20 for anything larger/heavier than a letter or document. $7.20!!!:eek:

So is there a cheaper way of posting stuff ranging from the size of a packet of cigarettes to the size of a mobile phone, wthin Australia???

Write your address on the front of the envelope as "To:" and on the back of the envelope write the "return address" as the place you want to send it to. Then don't put a stamp on it.

I think Hoo is right. I heard Aussie post has a special deal with China so that their stuff is sent here really cheap.

Considering buying boxes of cheap goodies here in China, shipping them bulk to a mate in Auss and have him ship individual boxes to family and friends. Would be ideal for Christmas.

PROBLEM is that AussPost charges a minimum of $7.20 for anything larger/heavier than a letter or document. $7.20!!!:eek:

So is there a cheaper way of posting stuff ranging from the size of a packet of cigarettes to the size of a mobile phone, wthin Australia???

You can send items as a large letter if they weigh under 500g and are thinner than 2cm. If not, and they are still under 500g, they will cost $7.20. If the weight is over 500g then the rates go up depending on the weight and how far they have to travel.

The cheapest option would be to find someone on a contract with Australia Post and see if they will put your stuff through with their post. On some items there could be a considerable saving.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Looks like shipping from here is cheaper. Have trouble getting my head around shipping from another country being cheaper than shipping within Australia. Crazy.

Write your address on the front of the envelope as "To:" and on the back of the envelope write the "return address" as the place you want to send it to. Then don't put a stamp on it.

Remember this trick as a kid. Funny to hear it still works.

I think Hoo is right. I heard Aussie post has a special deal with China so that their stuff is sent here really cheap.

Heard the same, thought it was just rumours. Will have to look into it.

You can send items as a large letter if they weigh under 500g and are thinner than 2cm. If not, and they are still under 500g, they will cost $7.20. If the weight is over 500g then the rates go up depending on the weight and how far they have to travel.

The cheapest option would be to find someone on a contract with Australia Post and see if they will put your stuff through with their post. On some items there could be a considerable saving.

Too bad the stuff on my Xmas list can't fit within 2cm no matter how hard I squeeze :(

I find it funny that I can send a same day parcel within Sydney for $7.50 with fastway up to 25kg cubed inc insurance, yet australia post charges almost twice that for next day (or so)

Tried it lately?

I think you get a letter sent to your address and payment requested before release of your letter.

pinkboy

It must be. I buy stuff from ebay all the time.
Parcel-sized stuff, posted to me free of charge from China/HK.
Postage there must be really cheap. Postage from UK/US is usually on par with Aust.
Generally they have already factored in the delivery/postage charge into their price and then offer "free" delivery.....

Generally they have already factored in the delivery/postage charge into their price and then offer "free" delivery.....

Postage is still darn cheap ... junior used to buy barbie doll dresses (when she was younger) from China for $2.50 including postage ... and I buy silicone garlic peelers for $1ea including postage, even if you're buying only 1

Postage is still darn cheap ... junior used to buy barbie doll dresses (when she was younger) from China for $2.50 including postage ... and I buy silicone garlic peelers for $1ea including postage, even if you're buying only 1

Correct. Look at some of the moderately heavy stuff available on ebay - furniture, things made of metal, electronics.
Cheap prices and postage is still free! Cheaper than buying from David Jones or Harvey Norman or whatever Aussie store.

I sell a fair amount of 'stuff' online. I am also a member of a small group of sellers that discuss various issues. One of the items is the cheap Chinese postage. When a Chinese seller sells something on eBay for $1 with free postage, and that item would cost $7.20 to post locally, and they also have eBay & Paypal fees to pay, as well as the cost of the product, you soon realise that something isn't right. It is NOT a fair playing field.

Now, I can't remember the specifics, but apparently Australia Post have some kind of agreement with other countries, and the cost of postage is not set by Australia Post for items that come in from overseas. This means that we all subsidise the postage costs from Asia.

I think you are talking to the master black garlic producer / preserver on Somersoft .........

The Y-man

Why - thank you kind sir - however, have moved on from black garlic (difficult bugger) to cold smoked ... experimenting with flavours and the rosemary is really nice - might try basil and grape vine leaf next (not together).

Back