What is the general feel of a financial buffer

Even thought this is a very personal subject depending on the risk profile, I would like to see what people think about the financial buffer.
Mainly in the case of job loss that supports you and your IPs

My comfort level is cash in the bank to last 6 months.

A year.

I'm living off it now (not including equity from rising house prices).

And you realize it doesn't have to come from saving every penny.

3 months if you don't have family
6 months if you have wife/husband
12 months if you have wife/husband + child
24 months if you have wife/husband + child (more than one) + you have to look after mum/dad/relative

that's for me..

Do you mean equity?

Basically any pool of money you have lying around, equity, rental income, loans.

Also this relates to another thread from a while back. Simply knowing where to go and borrow say $2k in case of an emergency. A few of my mates now keep a small pool of cash and credit with us and have lent it to each other when needed.

I know this network has helped me out when I first started. So many costs I hadn't accounted for.

I'm single (staying that way). Got:

- 3 months in cash (including living expenses) PLUS
- 9 months of extra PPOR mortgage repayments so I'm covered if I stop paying that for 3/4 of a year.

I'm risk averse, so minimum 12 months income for me - can last for up to 20 months. My partner is more lenient at 6 months salary
Double income no kids here.

I like to have 6 months, but this month have a few things coming up.

- engine rebuild for my car $12k
- pay for holiday to Thailand $5k

So will be few months till get my tax back and bonus comes through to replenish the funds.

I'm single (well long term gf who doesn't live with me) and still living at home only debt is 3 IP's years worth of interest is ~~$36k

Back